• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

SFE: Wings looking at 'star player' by deadline

Rate this topic

I'm joking about the first rounders. However, you do understand that Holland would be a laughingstock among GMs for trading Williams and Lilja for just Lapointe, right? If for some reason the Hawks were to ask for those two, they had better at least offer to throw in man-mountain defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.

Williams and Lilja for Lapointe and Vandermeer is ideal. This is a deal that could be done. Just like that youve added a gritty suplemental goal scorer high on leadership and a guy who will drop the gloves that Chicago wants out of the lineup as it is.

Great. In this case I'd say that the existance of such will actually increase Detroit's chances of acquiring Roberts.

Wasnt Roberts skeptical about signing with Florida because his family was in Toronto or he didnt want to leave Toronto or something to that effect?? If thats the case, Detroit would seem like a likely destination for Roberts being that its just a 4 hour trip up the 401.

Wasnt Roberts skeptical about signing with Florida because his family was in Toronto or he didnt want to leave Toronto or something to that effect?? If thats the case, Detroit would seem like a likely destination for Roberts being that its just a 4 hour trip up the 401.

Yes. Very likely.

I'm joking about the first rounders. However, you do understand that Holland would be a laughingstock among GMs for trading Williams and Lilja for just Lapointe, right? If for some reason the Hawks were to ask for those two, they had better at least offer to throw in man-mountain defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.

Ok, glad you were only kidding, but I still think you may be overestimating the value of Willaims and Lilja. I would hope they would fetch more than just Lapointe, but in this salary cap era you have to look beyond production at things like salary and contract length. I don't know off hand, how the salaries match up in this trade scenario, but in some cases you trade away more in player talent to better your cap sitiuation.

I really hope Lapointe doesn't end back up in a Wings uniform. People tend to forget his blow up in the 2001 playoffs vs. LA that ultimately led to the Wings losing Game 6 and the series. He's older now too, and while he was a gritty player and all, I'd rather not have the Wings bring back a re-tread like him just as a stop gap.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff O'Neill end up in a Wings uni, I've always liked his game and especially how he plays in the playoffs. Although, it'll be interesting to see where the Leafs are at the deadline.

The trick is to find a team in fire-sale mode like the Caps were when Holland got Lang. I don't remember the exact terms for that deal, but it was one of Holland's better moves as I think there wasn't much given up. It seems that Williams, Lilja, Sammy, Hudler or Kopecky are the only tradeable commodities that we could trade without seriously changing team chemistry. Everyone else is either too established or has too much of an upside to deal - and even Hudler is arguable. My picks would be Williams and/or Lilja. Both are overpaid and underperforming.

Edited by clutchngrab

Instead of looking for a new player to add to the history of the Redwings and finding someone that is going to fit properly, I agree with bringing back someone that we know fit right and would be a nice addition. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a "new" star player come deadline, but why don't they just try to get Darren back from Calgary and then we could put the grind line back together. That would be great! He's physical, can score, and the fans in Detroit and everywhere else love him. Why not? Your Thoughts....

Because the calendar says 2007 not 1997. Same with Lapointe as far as I am concerned. While I have nothing against Lapointe, I don't see him on the top 2 lines and he brings nothing that Franzen doesn't already bring. The ex-wing I like is Mike Knuble and maybe he can be obtained from the train-wreck called the flyers

Because the calendar says 2007 not 1997. Same with Lapointe as far as I am concerned. While I have nothing against Lapointe, I don't see him on the top 2 lines and he brings nothing that Franzen doesn't already bring. The ex-wing I like is Mike Knuble and maybe he can be obtained from the train-wreck called the flyers

Except Lapointe drops the gloves, has shown he can score 20+ goals a season, and throws his body around. We're paying Maltby 1.55mm to be a penalty killer and nothing else, why not take a flyer on him?

Well, I guess if the price is right. I just don't see him scoring as much on the 3rd or 4th line. Dropping the gloves occassionally would be a refreshing change. As far as Maltby goes, at 1.55, I suspect this is his last year

I wonder if Pittsburgh moves..... if Crosby wont want out....... id give several star players and a pick or two for someone to build the team around again...... just like they did with Yzerman

Kids, this is why you don't drink and post. You come up with stuff like that.

I really hope Lapointe doesn't end back up in a Wings uniform. People tend to forget his blow up in the 2001 playoffs vs. LA that ultimately led to the Wings losing Game 6 and the series.

The blame that Lapointe still gets because of this is absurd considering the Wings never should've been facing elimination at that point. Come on, it was over after that nauseating choke job in Game 4.

I would NOT part with Kronner ( nor will wing's management). He will be the #1 D-man in a couple years.

If he can last that long. Hey, I like the guy too, love the way he tries to line people up. But he's shown absolutly nothing to support the #1 Dman theory, nor the health for it, nor his contract extension. Edmonton is hungry for a puck moving Dman, and both Kronner and Lebda are that. People ***** that Holland has no balls when it comes to making a "big" trade. Well here it is. Are D is very strong, and Smyth and Torres would be perfect for this team. You gotta give to get, and you gotta give teams what there looking for. Lang and Kronner would be perfect for them. Besides that you gotta come stronger than other teams, which is what the Wings never do. However, I wouldn't put Lang and Kronner together, it'd be one or the other, with either Lebda with Lang, or Hudler/Williams with Kronner.

Edited by bringback91

The Red Wings never had to develop players within their own system before the salary cap. The deep pockets of the organization said they could just "buy" whoever they wanted in the open market, regardless of the cost. Which means trading away prospects is not "ideal;" I hate to give up anyone already in the system. However, it might be the only way to get something done. Williams? He is under-producing and over-paid. What incentive does another GM have to take him on? Can Datsyuk be dealt before we lose him when every GM on the planet knows he is going to be a pain in the butt to sign long-term and has a reputation as a play off bust? Again, what's the incentive? Why not deal, Hudler? He's absolutely replaceable. You could go on for hours speculating.

As far as Lapointe goes, I'd take him back. As long as it costs us very little.

The real question is, who is in cap trouble AND wont be making the playoffs. That is where a trade is likely to occur. As far as the "hole" in the Wing's puzzle....size, toughness, grit, and (with the right line-mates) can score,....Bertuzzi fits all those criteria. Downside... a lot of people just don't like him, and has a price tag that makes me wince. I don't remember the exact figure, but it's up there.

The blame that Lapointe still gets because of this is absurd considering the Wings never should've been facing elimination at that point. Come on, it was over after that nauseating choke job in Game 4.

I know. To blame Lapointe for that series is absurd. You can't blame one player for an entire series loss.

Besides, it was Osgood's fault. :D