• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetter is Better

Henrik Zetterberg

Rate this topic

I've always been a big fan of Zetterberg... not that my username gives it away or anything :ph34r:

I think he's almost virtually a lock for the "C" once Lidstrom retires. With Pavel showing signs that he will return to Russia, and Zetterberg being locked into his contract, I don't think there's another choice.

Just curious too, I wonder who will get the other "A" once Draper is gone as well. I have a feeling that maybe Rafalski and Kronwall will rotate an "A", with Pavs hanging onto the primary "A". There are just so many good players and character players on the team it's difficult to choose.

Edited by Jesusberg

With Pavel showing signs that he will return to Russia, and Zetterberg being locked into his contract, I don't think there's another choice.

I can assure you Datsyuk will be playing in the NHL for quite a while. All the talk about him going back to Russia was from him stating he would like to play there after his NHL career is over. Much like Lidstrom saying he would like to finish out if professional hockey days in the SEL.

Edited by Original-Six

My hopes for him this year:

-Plays with Datsyuk about 65% of the time.

-A 50 goal season that he's wanted for a couple years now.

-All-Star

-Selke Award nomination.

I'm not buying the claim that he's only a playoff performer yet.

EDIT: Forgot one.

Edited by titanium2

-All-Star

-Selke Award nomination.

I'm not buying the claim that he's only a playoff performer

yet.

Well that being said. I would rather have a playoff performer than a regular season performer.

I thought about starting a thread where we copy and paste our favorite quotes about Red Wings players and it was inspired by reviews of Zetterberg during the 2009 playoffs.

Mike Babcock: "I believe he has a will tank deeper than anybody I've ever been associated with. As much as all the other attributes he has, to me, that's his greatest one. His drive train is fantastic."

Nick Lidstrom: "He comes back at you shift after shift. He's not going to back down or let you take over. That's one of the things that makes him so hard to play against, because he'll play like that defensively. But when he has the puck, he's going to hang onto it and make plays. He's one of those guys that's going to show up every night.

He's one of the best all-around players in the league, the way he can play at both ends of the ice. He's hard to play against. He's not going to give up. He's going to be close to you all the time."

Darren Helm: "You see when he's dead tired, he's still working to get back defensively. I just look at that and try to take a piece of it, how hard he works. I definitely respect what he does, putting up points and shutting down top lines as well."

Quotes

Hank with a 50 goal and Pav with a 100 point season would be awesome. They deserve it. Maybe it will happen if they play together next year !

Also if he does not play a couple of half ass games like last year. Maybe it was his back but whatever it was you could tell he was not giving his all.

-All-Star

-Selke Award nomination.

I'm not buying the claim that he's only a playoff performer yet.

Him not even having a Selke nomination is pretty ridiculous when you consider what he's done to the opposing team's star players time and time again.

Just curious too, I wonder who will get the other "A" once Draper is gone as well. I have a feeling that maybe Rafalski and Kronwall will rotate an "A", with Pavs hanging onto the primary "A".

I for sure think Raffy would get but he is up there in age too so its hard to tell. But once Drapes is gone I think Pav will have it no doubt with the rotation of Raffy, Kronner, maybe Clears.

Ah. You're right. I was thinking he's always been just outside the top three.

Both him and Datsyuk got nominations that year. I feel like that won't ever happen again. The media might argue along the lines of, "Well, their numbers are that good because they help each other but individually they're not as good." Or something dumb like that.

Well he did have one in 2008 though.

What harold meant was "Zetterberg not having two or three Selke wins is pretty ridiculous given the fact that his primary use is as a shutdown center against the opposing team's top line, and he executes that role better than any other player in the league"

What harold meant was "Zetterberg not having two or three Selke wins is pretty ridiculous given the fact that his primary use is as a shutdown center against the opposing team's top line, and he executes that role better than any other player in the league"

Actually, pretty much. yeah. :lol:

Z is the best shutdown center on the Wings and easily one of the best in the league. Seems like that should be Selke worthy.

Agreed.

It sucks for Z, because if he played on another team I believe he would have been at least a finalist for at least 3 of the last 4 years. I think the fact that Pavs is equally as worthy and they both play for the Wings hurts Z in being up for this award. So when it comes down to picking one Wing, I believe Pavs flash (more noteaby his puck stealing wizardry and turning it into instant offense) wins out over Z's style of play which is consistently negating the other teams tops forward(s)/line purely by heart, determination, and some serious, serious skills....goes a little more unnoticed by the PHWA in my opionion.

After the last two season I'm really excited to see how he does this year. He's probably top 2 or 3 players that I'll be watching the most as always. I definitely hope it's one of the better seasons for him.

Yep. I've visited that site many times! :thumbup:

I still think the "will tank" quote is my favorite one.

The first time I read it, I thought Babs had said that Hank will tank deeper than anyone... meaning that he will take a nose dive and end up at the bottom of the barrel. Then I re-read it and saw that it said he HAS a will tank.

It's all so clear to me now. :)

I love that site too!