• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

eva unit zero

Hudler

Rate this topic

Eva, you just don't get it do you? All your if's, but's and nice calculations doesn't mean jack to me. It's nothing but numbers. There's no way of estimating a player's performance by using a certain multiplier to make up for the games or minutes he didn't play. Look at what Heaton just posted. Hudler hasn't looked that impressive when given extra time.

If you wanna make use of your numbers and statistical talents, I suggest you analyze empirical data, like the draft or something. ;)

Here's how Hudler's numbers break down by ice time this season.

Less than 5 minutes--4 GP, 1g-0a-1p, -1, 2 PIM, 5 shots, 20.0%

5:00-9:59--28 GP, 4g-1a-5p, +6, 18 PIM, 23 shots, 17.4%

10 or more minutes--16 GP, 4g-0a-4p, +1, 6 PIM, 26 shots, 15.4%

Keep in mind, also, that the most offensively gifted player Hudler has played any significant minutes with in any single game is Williams. Even when he's gotten ice time, it hasn't been with the kind of players I've been suggesting--Hudler has been the most offensively talented player on his line almost every time he's taken the ice...Zetterberg is the only other Wing who that could be suggested about. Hudler has the skill to play on the second line and do well. He just needs the opportunity.

Bootland is done in this organization. Grigorenko, who knows if he is even coming over. Flip, yes. Kopecky is a completely different skill set. All of these guys are not the same player hence you can't rank them the way you did. McGrath is in the freakin' ECHL right now. Emmerton is quite a few years away.

We would ALL love for Detroit to become a bigger, stronger team. Why don't you guys find us a player who is big and strong and can score and fight, and has a GM who is willing to trade him. Name ONE. And name a guy who we don't have to empty out the tank for.

I get your point, too RB! Please, I am all for getting bigger and stronger but let's be realistic here.

The point was to demonstrate that there are other players that can fill in for those who depart, Hudler isn't our only option. Then there's also the possibility to sign free agents. Some players turn UFA at the age of 27 under the new CBA.

If you want something you pay the price. You can't eat the cookie... There are players available, but you need to give up something in order to get them. That goes for every type of elite player, not just the physical ones. Bertuzzi is definitely available.

Every time we have this discussion it boils down to this, I don't think Hudler is anything special, but you do. I'm willing to trade him, you're not. We're never getting past that.

I am absolutely willing to trade Hudler. My only condition is there better be an impact player coming back from the other end, and not someone wishy washy who might help us. Trade Hudler for Marian Hossa? Ilya Kovalchuk? Dany Heatley? Sure, add on someone else and maybe a draft pick, make it happen, let's go! Todd Bertuzzi? Hell no. That's why I am saying we should be realistic.

The deciding factor is not if Hudler is special or not. I don't think Hudler is the next Brett Hull, but I don't think he's crap either, and I think he could help the team and contribute points. For some odd reason the general perception is that he's small, so he's useless.

I am absolutely willing to trade Hudler. My only condition is there better be an impact player coming back from the other end, and not someone wishy washy who might help us. Trade Hudler for Marian Hossa? Ilya Kovalchuk? Dany Heatley? Sure, add on someone else and maybe a draft pick, make it happen, let's go! Todd Bertuzzi? Hell no. That's why I am saying we should be realistic.

The deciding factor is not if Hudler is special or not. I don't think Hudler is the next Brett Hull, but I don't think he's crap either, and I think he could help the team and contribute points. For some odd reason the general perception is that he's small, so he's useless.

Neither of those players are available right now as you already know, but more importantly there are no guarantees in trades. Not ever. I'm willing to take a chance on Bertuzzi, because he offers something the Red Wings sorely lack and he could come at a reasonable price compared to similar players. Now, this price includes the risk of Hudler developing into a great player, which is also the Panthers incentive to make this deal.

That's a risk I'm willing to take because in the short run I believe Bertuzzi can make more of a difference than Hudler can, and I don't think Hudler is crucial to our organization in the long run. The reason behind this, is that he is similar to most other players/prospects in terms of style/size. Had the makeup of our team/organization been different, I would probably lobby to trade someone else.

Guest LivingtheDream

Didn't see anyone mention it, but even though Hudler is scoring wouldn't the main reason he is still not getting more ice time be that Babcock is not impressed enough with his committment to playing both ends of the ice? No mystery here - you want more time, you have to score AND impress Babcock with your D. I mean, even a hockey player can understand that one. Personally I think Hudler needs this tough coach treatment. Heck, we could all use that in our life! it will help him become a much better player. He has the potential, he just needs to be motivated to bring it all out. Will that be in Detroit or somewhere else? I'd like to see him stay, but if we can trade some skilled center for a gritty winger, he is about the only one with value that we can afford to lose.