• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Airborn

TSN: Red Wings interested in Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

I probably would have agreed with you at one point. But one thing I'm proud of as a Detroit fan in general is that athletes with a history can come to Detroit and get a second chance. Rasheed Wallace and Kenny Rogers, etc. Guys have rebuilt their reputations in Detroit because the fans have told them, "Hey, we don't care about what happened in the past. Be a team player and play your hardest, and all that stuff is forgotten." It's something I definitely buy into. Why not see if the same can happen with Bertuzzi?

I agree totally with this. so f**king what if he's controversial. Chelios was hated almost as much as Lemieux back in the day. Bert will fit right in, probably him and Cheli will end up good buddies.

I probably would have agreed with you at one point. But one thing I'm proud of as a Detroit fan in general is that athletes with a history can come to Detroit and get a second chance. Rasheed Wallace and Kenny Rogers, etc. Guys have rebuilt their reputations in Detroit because the fans have told them, "Hey, we don't care about what happened in the past. Be a team player and play your hardest, and all that stuff is forgotten." It's something I definitely buy into. Why not see if the same can happen with Bertuzzi?

...hmmmm, I agree, but you think we would feel that way if it were Claude? LOL!

You're all acting a little weird over this Bertuzzi thing. Here we have a guy, that, is the perfect fit for the Wings. A scoring winger with toughness and grit. Yet we are complaining about him because of something he did to a player that didn't even play for the Wings. I understand that it was dirty, and yes I think he's a rotten bastard for what he did to Steve Moore, but he's realisticly the only choice we got right now. I hate to break it to you, but Shane Doan is not coming here. He's already in contract talks of an extension with Phoenix. He's the face of that franchise. I see no way they would trade him.

It's hard to swallow, but Bertuzzi is the best option right now. Besides, it's not like we have to keep when the season ends anyways. Though if he plays well enough it might be a good idea to keep him.

Edited by Kp-Wings

I know! Instead of trading for Bertuzzi, lets sign Tanya Harding. She'll play for the league minimum, she's a free agent, and Babcock wouldn't even have to dress her for games, just issue her with a 2x4 and she'll do her job hiding in the hallway near the opposition dressing room. She's a convicted felon, too, so we won't be lacking in that department.

You know, it would be one thing if Bertuzzi and Moore were skating in the Ice Capades, but this happened while playing hockey, the only sport in North America where it is okay and commonplace for two people to start fighting (besides boxing and UFC) People have been killed in boxing matches and yea, it sucks, but people usually save their ire for the sport rather than the boxer who dealt the death blow.

If you think that fighting should be removed from the sport of hockey entirely, thats your opinion, but your time would be better spent writing letters to the commishioner or your congressman, not high horse, holier-than-thou-art postings on a forum. Or maybe you should instead be writing checks to the Steve Moore foundation, since you're obviously such a great humanitarian.

Has anyone here ever actually seen the bones that attach the human head to the body? They're frightenly puny. It's not a freak accident that what happened to Moore happened, it's more like a miracle that it doesnt happen more often.

I'm fine with the current arrangement, and so are all players of aggressive contact sports. Moore was fine with it too until god decided to f*ck up his weekend, so he gets no sympathy from me.

I know! Instead of trading for Bertuzzi, lets sign Tanya Harding. She'll play for the league minimum, she's a free agent, and Babcock wouldn't even have to dress her for games, just issue her with a 2x4 and she'll do her job hiding in the hallway near the opposition dressing room. She's a convicted felon, too, so we won't be lacking in that department.

That was a real mature response. So you would prefer that Holland sit on his hands and do nothing than go out and get somebody that will help the team?

we want bert because of his hard ass ways, but what if now after the moore incident hes not the type of player we are looking for because he will be to afraid to defend teamates after what happend last time. I know i would think twice after something like that happend to me. hopefully he wont and will still hit hard and stand up for teamates, but i know in the back of his head he will be having second doubts as to do so

Bertuzzi's a huge gamble but he might payoff large--a big guy who's got great hands--to the point that he sometimes forgets his size. There's serious concerns about his health as well as his attitude: he and Naslund were reported ad nauseum to be "too good for anybody else" and acted untouchable before the big trade. He's inconsistent at the best of times. Don't forget how Cheli neutralized him 2002. I say pass.

...hmmmm, I agree, but you think we would feel that way if it were Claude? LOL!

haha, nope. s'different, though. very different. you see it's different because HEY LOOK A FIRE ENGINE!! *runs off*

yeah, I'm probably a bit hypocritical that way, and I don't care. Clod did what he did TO a Red Wing. Hey, I'm sorry a cameraman got assaulted, but, y'know, he wasn't a Detroit Tiger cameraman, right? Bertuzzi smacked an Av, and you know we were all feeling just a little bit of vengeful satisfaction watching the Av fans howl and moan about that one. so yeah, my high and mighty second chance talk doesn't really apply if a Detroiter was the victim.

That was a real mature response. So you would prefer that Holland sit on his hands and do nothing than go out and get somebody that will help the team?

No, Holland should get a power winger, I just want Harding to be above Bertuzzi on the list of candidates.

DROP THE MOORE HIT SMACK TALK - ITS IRRELEVANT TO TALK ABOUT HERE

Who cares if "soandso" doesnt want this guy or not. Drop it, your wasting the forums bandwith.

Pros Of Signing Bertuzzi:

Scorer

Grinder/Checker

Goes In Corners

Aggressive/Enforcer

Leadership (Assistant with 'Nucks)

Size (6'4 245+)

Cons:

Age (32)

Back Surgery

Contract (5.3 Mil)

Free Agent After Summer

Most Likely Part With Hudler/Williams/Prospect + 1st Rounder

What is the communities thoughts, any details on the contract if it can be negotiated and will we have space.

<-- I figured most have forgot about his skills. He's Legit. Edited by MotorCityMiracle

I must be sounding like a brken record but I will rpeeat seeing as how it wasn't listed on the Cons above.^

Con ... the #1 Con that is: s*** Ass Attitude.

All other points valid.

In fairness....the dude played most of his prime under Marc Crawford. That guy practically demands his players have a horrible attitude. He certainly sets the example in that respect. Then he was traded to the most irrelevant, directionless team in the league.

I can't imagine that Bertuzzi doesn't care about winning a Cup, and if he does, getting traded from Florida to Detroit would definitely be a huge step in that direction. Might just change that attitude.

I don't believe for a second that any kind of clique-ish that permeated the Vancouver room with him and Naslund would manifest itself here. The lockerroom is completely different. In Vancouver Bertuzzi and Naslund were the elite players on a roster that was not a winner and relatively young.

The Red Wings' roster is nothing like that. Bertuzzi would know his role here and would probably revel in the fact that he wouldn't be brought in here to carry the load but would be allowed to play his game on a team that is loaded with talent and veteran leadership.

I don't think attitude problems that existed in Vancouver would happen in a Detroit lockerroom that consists of Lidstrom, Chelios and other well-respected, Stanley Cup-winning players.

I don't believe for a second that any kind of clique-ish that permeated the Vancouver room with him and Naslund would manifest itself here. The lockerroom is completely different. In Vancouver Bertuzzi and Naslund were the elite players on a roster that was not a winner and relatively young.

The Red Wings' roster is nothing like that. Bertuzzi would know his role here and would probably revel in the fact that he wouldn't be brought in here to carry the load but would be allowed to play his game on a team that is loaded with talent and veteran leadership.

I don't think attitude problems that existed in Vancouver would happen in a Detroit lockerroom that consists of Lidstrom, Chelios and other well-respected, Stanley Cup-winning players.

Very well said Matt :thumbup::clap:

Here is an exerpt from Ansar Khan's article on MLIVE, which has Holland talking about the Wing's alleged interest in Bertuzzi:

"... Wings general manager Ken Holland wouldn’t comment specifically on a TSN report that stated his club is interested in acquiring Florida power forward Todd Bertuzzi before the Feb. 27 trading deadline, except to say he is investigating all possibilities, as do all GMs who are looking to deal this time of year.

“I’ve talked to most teams in the league just to find out what they’re doing. I’m not talking to anybody specifically about any players,†Holland said. “What most teams are telling me is they want to wait until they get close to the deadline. They want to see what direction they’re going and then they’re going to make an assessment.â€Â

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

According to the Free Press, Holland is more interested in aquiring Forsberg, who is said to only be willing to waive his no trade clause for 3 teams (Detroit, Anaheim, and Montreal).

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1048/BUSINESS05

Personally, I don't think Forsberg is a good fit for the Wings, and the talk of signing him to a free agent contract after this season really conserns me. This guy is always going to have health problems, and it's only going to get worse with age.

Edited by Airborn

Here is an exerpt from Ansar Khan's article on MLIVE, which has Holland talking about the Wing's alleged interest in Bertuzzi:

"... Wings general manager Ken Holland wouldn’t comment specifically on a TSN report that stated his club is interested in acquiring Florida power forward Todd Bertuzzi before the Feb. 27 trading deadline, except to say he is investigating all possibilities, as do all GMs who are looking to deal this time of year.

“I’ve talked to most teams in the league just to find out what they’re doing. I’m not talking to anybody specifically about any players,†Holland said. “What most teams are telling me is they want to wait until they get close to the deadline. They want to see what direction they’re going and then they’re going to make an assessment.â€Â

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

According to the Free Press, Holland is more interested in aquiring Forsberg, who is said to only be willing to waive his no trade clause for 3 teams (Detroit, Anaheim, and Montreal).

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...1048/BUSINESS05

I agree, Forsberg is kind of a liability with all the ankle / skate issues. Hurt all the time. Bertuzzi would come cheaper.