• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Airborn

TSN: Red Wings interested in Bertuzzi

Rate this topic

Guest LivingtheDream

Either you choose to, or you don't. I don't.

Sorry, but that makes zero sense.

Now it looks like teams might not even get to see him play before the deadline, TSN:

As interested as some NHL teams are in considering Todd Bertuzzi as a trade deadline acquisition, there's no guarantee the big Florida Panther winger will be able to play for Florida before the Feb. 27 deadline.

While no official date for his return after rehabilitation from back surgery was ever set, the Panthers were hopeful of Bertuzzi being back in their lineup by the middle or end of next week. That timetable would have given Bertuzzi a week or more before the deadline to strut his stuff for a number of teams that have some degree of interest in him.

But after joining the team on the road and practicing hard with teammates, sources say Bertuzzi has discovered he is perhaps not quite as ready as he thought he would be. The target of about a week from now seems extremely doubtful.

It is not considered a major setback, but could be enough to affect teams that were considering Bertuzzi as a potential stretch-drive pickup.

Every Wings fan older than 10 years old wants a big gritty tough winger with a scoring touch. Those players aren't exactly a dime a dozen, so I am not gonna say, "I want a big gritty tough winger with a scoring touch, but a different big gritty tough winger with a scoring touch."

well said

Sorry, but that makes zero sense.

OK, lemme explain it like this: I think this post of yours is pretty dumb. I could choose to believe that it means you're a dumb person, or I could choose to believe it's not how you'll post in the future. In other words, I could hold this post (your "past") against you, or not. I choose not to. You said we have nothing but the past to judge people by, but just because we all know Bertuzzi smacked Moore doesn't mean I have to have a certain opinion about it.

I don't think the wings should pick up good ole' Todd "Break Neck" Bertuzzi, the last thing we need is more peneltys

So we want toughness, we want grit, we want someone to rough up the opponents if they touch Z or Dats, and we want a power forward all while not taking penalties?

You can't have your cake and eat it too; believe me, I've tried.

I don't think the wings should pick up good ole' Todd "Break Neck" Bertuzzi, the last thing we need is more peneltys

The most illogical post I have ever read. Yeah, Todd has surely built a reputation for breaking necks hasn't he? I think the situation should be past him, it happened literally 3 years ago. The last thing we need is more penalties? Yeah, not peneltys... Todd Bertuzzi averages about just as much penalties as Shanahan did for us when he was here. Plus, our penalty problem isn't a factor anymore, it just was for like a 2-3 week period, that's it. Not ONE player on the Wings is even averaging a minute per game.

Holland is not gonna sign a player who carries huge risk, is demanding huge money under salary cap realms, is of basically unknown health status, and whose inspiration to play is unclear.

and for once, he's 100% right. Bertuzzi was a dominant player once, but is he still? is it worth to gamble that much to check this? my answer is: hell no! we can have a fine gritty RW for those ~1.8M$ under the cap we have now.

pass.

The most illogical post I have ever read. Yeah, Todd has surely built a reputation for breaking necks hasn't he?...

Yeah, I would say so , More so then lets say Datsyuk, Zetterberg, almost all other players in the NHL (i'm sure there were a few other incidents)

if we get a player.....can we at least get a RELIABLE player? I mean, it seems like all the players that Holland is interested in are injury prone. Bertuzzi is just comming off a surgery and says himself he isnt 100% and Foresberg seems to always be injured. I mean....come on......get someone who will at LEAST last through the playoffs

Well i don't think you should post anymore, because you can't spell :P ... And its getting old with people saying s*** about bert and the Moore incident :zzz: ... He's what the wings need, a power forward who plays with an edge and puts the puck in the net

that was really messed up.

what year was this?

and why did it happen?

Where have you been?

That was 03-04. Bertuzzi hit Moore because a few weeks prior Moore had hurt Naslund. Moore's neck was broken and he can't play anymore.

Once again, Bert's breakneck thingie wouldn't bother me. What would bother me is if we get Wendel "Mullet that reigned TO" Clark or Brendan "Perimeter man" Shanahan Pt 2. Frankly, Bert hasn't shown to be the dominant power forward he was 5 years ago lately. Power forwards have short shelf lives. Bert's might just be up. But then it might not. How many will defend Holland for gambling on Bert at this point, would he come up short?

Once again, Bert's breakneck thingie wouldn't bother me. What would bother me is if we get Wendel "Mullet that reigned TO" Clark or Brendan "Perimeter man" Shanahan Pt 2. Frankly, Bert hasn't shown to be the dominant power forward he was 5 years ago lately. Power forwards have short shelf lives. Bert's might just be up. But then it might not. How many will defend Holland for gambling on Bert at this point, would he come up short?

Trading for Bertuzzi would at least show some guts and a willingness to address a team need. That is more than Holland has done in years. I would defend such a move even if it didn't pan out, because my main issue with Holland is his tendency to take the safe route and his unwillingness to make changes.

I would be OK with Bert coming to Detroit, so long as it doesn't turn out to be another Hatcher-type situation... what a total waste of money and roster space. I would expect the Wings brass to make sure he's healthy and able to play before they sign him, if that is the direction they choose to go.

Reason for concern in that vector: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=195617&hubname=nhl

Speaking only for myself, I don't think the unfortunate incident with Moore defines Bertuzzi's career. He's done his time and paid the price as determined by the authorities who govern such things. Fans will have feelings, one way or the other, about the guy, no matter what he does or says.

I want to see Chelios' reaction to Bert in a winged wheel. They had such a lovely on-ice relationship in the '02 playoffs. :lol:

Edited by puckloo39

I wonder what it is that people see Bert as such a risk because of his injury this season, which is really the first major one of his career. It's not like he's Eric Daze, and has had 3 previous back surgeries in a 3 year period. Yes, it does make him a bit risky, but it's not like he's a glass statue.

And to rephrase, once again, on the Moore incident for all doubters: That was 3 years ago. It's not like he did it last week, so let it go.

Though he leaves the Vancouver locker room clique behind, Bertuzzi brings that same attitude--which is the important point--with him. It shows a guy who is out for himself and the team is secondary to him. If he comes here, and when the boos rain down from the stands, will it continue to affect him and the team? If Bertuzzi struggles, and he'll likely be rusty, he'll even be booed at the Joe, no question. He did not respond well to the relentless booing he received after the Moore incident. But his questionable attitude is only one concern.

The others are his inconsistency and his tendency to think he's purely a skilled player. I've watched him play for quite some time and I swear the guy forgets how big he is. Then there's his health. Back injuries are serious and tend to recur. He's not going to want to throw those big checks if he's just returned from back surgery. And since his return has been delayed, it's an even bigger question mark. Now, Bert is like an exotic sports car sitting in a two-bit used car dealership--i.e. what's wrong with this picture?

I wonder what it is that people see Bert as such a risk because of his injury this season, which is really the first major one of his career. It's not like he's Eric Daze, and has had 3 previous back surgeries in a 3 year period. Yes, it does make him a bit risky, but it's not like he's a glass statue.

And to rephrase, once again, on the Moore incident for all doubters: That was 3 years ago. It's not like he did it last week, so let it go.

Because back problems are a chronic injury, and he may not set foot on the ice before the deadline. He's gonna be a playoff rental, so it'd be nice to know exactly what you're renting.