• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HenrikRules40

Gary Bettman doesn't intend to step down

Rate this topic

Gary Bettman makes me angry beyond belief. hockey on cable tv is dying right now. If bettman was smart, he'd realize that being on ESPN is a must (As much as I hate ESPN, it's true) and negociating a contract with them based on a ratings/air time ratio could be to the NHL's advantage. heck, do a Versus & ESPN contract for all I care, the NBA/NFL/MLB are broadcast nationally on more than one station. This game too good to fly under the radar.

As for the schedule, it needs to go back to the old format. Does anyone want to see us play Columbus & St. Louis 16 times a year (I know, a little extreme) >? no.

Much like the Lions with Ford, the NHL won't be better til Bettman is gone.

FIRE BETTMAN.

That's a damn shame.

I was at the Yzerman retirement ceremony at the RenCen. Bettman was there. :angry:

I said to a couple next to me, Bettman's here I wish I had a gun. lol They looked at me kinda funny. I was like I'm just joking.

Deep down, though, not so much.

lol

So what? The BoG would just bring in another figure head in a leash. I'm NO fan of GB, but he's just the fang of the hog.

FINALLY someone with some brains!

GB is no more than a hired gun for the BOG. The NHL could have had a deal with ESPN but the BOG shot it down, deciding instead to take the much more lucrative (see $$$) deal VS offered them.

So many people like to blame expansion on GB too but it's been well documented that the BOG from the early 80's wanted to expand into Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas and more into California.

Please get your facts straight before you start pointing fingers. All the things the NHL has decided to do go through the owners first.

Nobody seriously expects Bettman to give up the cushy-ass job he's got, do they? Anybody who thinks it might happen is wishing on gumdrop rainbows. Bettman won't leave til he's told to.

Agreed. He won't leave because he'll never get another job. Furthermore, I think he's going to try to stay until he recommends changing the name of the league to National Bettman League.

Nobody seriously expects Bettman to give up the cushy-ass job he's got, do they? Anybody who thinks it might happen is wishing on gumdrop rainbows. Bettman won't leave til he's told to.

Oooo I love gumdrop rainbows.

What if someone kidnapped him and erased his memory? Would that work?

Guest LivingtheDream

That's a damn shame.

I was at the Yzerman retirement ceremony at the RenCen. Bettman was there. :angry:

I said to a couple next to me, Bettman's here I wish I had a gun. lol They looked at me kinda funny. I was like I'm just joking.

Deep down, though, not so much.

lol

Perhaps we can all pitch in and arrange for you to be at particularly opportune playoff games this spring! :-)

Better idea! We could use mind control techniques on Lilja focusing on key words such as "And the Lady Bing Trophy goes to..." These key words would trigger in Lilja an automatic response where he begins beating Bettman to a pulp. However, the REAL hard part in making this work is how would how to ever get Lilja near enough to anything like a Conference Final, Stanley Cup Final or award ceremony!

Wow. really?

I thought you were saving those darts for Hank?

:P

:lol:

Ack! Harrrrr-oldddd! Shhhhhhhhh! I was trying to create a diversion! Now I have to spike his 100 cupcakes (for 100 goals) with love potion. Now where can I find some love potion...

*Knocks on Babs door* Hi it's me...HR40!

Babs: *Glances up* Hank's not here.

Me: :blush: Yeah I know...I was just wondering...what's that "juice" that Lils brings you every morning?

:lol:

Ack! Harrrrr-oldddd! Shhhhhhhhh! I was trying to create a diversion! Now I have to spike his 100 cupcakes (for 100 goals) with love potion. Now where can I find some love potion...

*Knocks on Babs door* Hi it's me...HR40!

Babs: *Glances up* You again? You know you're required by law to stay more than 100 feet away from any member of the Red Wings organization, and at least 500 feet away from Hank.

Me: :blush: Yeah I know...umm... wait... do I hear sirens?

Fixed it. :D

That guy (bettman) is a complete f**king inept clown. He should have been ousted when he let ESPN go. Just for the fact of the free promotion they were getting from sportscenter, it would have made better business sense to stay. Note to Gary: you still have to promote to your prospective audience, and where would you do that? HMMMM......

f**king clown.

So...like...does Bettman not know that every hockey fan in the galaxy hates him? He has to have SOME idea. Doesn't that bother him? I mean, if that was me I would at least TRY to make the fans happy even if I didn't step down.

Maybe we could convince Bettman to step down by guaranteeing him strippers for life and free lap dances. He's got the money to live comfortably I'm assuming.

Lap dance before breakfast.

Lap dance after lunch.

Lap dance during dinner.

Lap dance before bedtime.

Doesn't seem like too bad of an offer.

We all can dream I guess. :lol:

Bettman is not a bad commish, and I found that this excerpt from eklund [:ph34r:] summed it up nicely:

......This schedule fiasco is not his fault, it is the thirty teams who voted on it. He just takes the hits.

Is he a weak commisioner? Unless you have sat in on a BOG meeting you honestly don't know.

The only sign that I have if he is week or strong was that he got thirty owners to stick to their guns to get a Cap and realistic budget that is needed to make a league like this work. I challenge anyone of us to get Wirtz and Snider to agree on Pizza.

There has never been a comish of any major sport that had to do such a thing.

Goodenow was going to go down with the ship, and take all of us with him. A few big agents with a few big players who wanted 9 million instead of 7 were the reason we lost a season. Believe me that 80% of the players love this system, because most of them, are making more. And when you are making a living off of a sport for a few years, the difference between a contract for 450,000 or 900,000 is SO much greater than the difference of a contract of 4 million to 10 million when it comes to a man's family

The fact is that now who wins isn't about money anymore. It is about management. and that is better.

It sucks if you are in a city that used to be able to buy their way out, trust me there, but teams like buffalo and nashville, and edmonton and calgary can't blame the money.

That is such a better system, and if Bettman was a weak leader, believe you me, we wouldn't have that system, because the big boys would have run the small ones out of town on a rail...

That would have meant less teams, less players working, less hockey in places like Edmonton.

........He is the person who has to speak for Snider and Wirtz, so that they don't have to. That aint easy. Bettman knows the schedule needs to be fixed. He can't do it without 20 of 30 saying to do it.

Edited by T-Ruff

Just more proof that Eklund is an idiot.

If Bettman really was a good commish and knew the new schedule format sucked, he would've been able to convince one more owner to vote for changing it. that's all he needed.

That he was unable to shows he is either incapable or unwilling to do so, even though it ultimately would be best for the league. He lets a handful of cheap owners have way too much influence.

As for blaming the players for the cap, again, Eklund is an idiot. 80% of the players love this system because they make more? What kind of new math is that? And last time I checked it was the owners who were the ones paying players, not the agents. The inability of the owners to run their franchises is what led to the lockout. Goodenow certainly deserves a fair share of the blame for losing a season, he underestimated Bettman and the owner's resolve and overestimated that of the players, but Bettman also deserves half the blame. Had he started with a less combative tone and had any diplomatic skills at all, the season likely could've been saved.

And let's remember two things. Bettman was the one who set up the last CBA that was so awful. And the owners all agreed to that one. It was his failed economic vision that put the league in such dire straits. yes revenue went up, but television ratings (which are a major revenue source for pro sports) went in the toilet under his tenure. He's taken hockey at what might've been the height of it's popularity in the U.S., and turned it into a fringe sport.

Bettman needs to have a vision of what's best for the league and convince the often short-sighted cheap ass owners to comply, because what's best for the league often will make it more profitable, which will be good for the owners as well.

Instead we get to play Columbus every other day. And half the country never gets to see Crosby or AO play in their town.

Edited by haroldsnepsts