28 replies to this topic

#21 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Barrie @ February 8, 2007 - 03:29PM) View Post

Why would he step down? Unless the owners have had enough of him, he's here to stay.

Yup pretty much
IPB Image

#22 HenrikRules40

HenrikRules40

I'm not a puck bunny.

• HoF Booster
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

So...like...does Bettman not know that every hockey fan in the galaxy hates him? He has to have SOME idea. Doesn't that bother him? I mean, if that was me I would at least TRY to make the fans happy even if I didn't step down.

#23 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Maybe we could convince Bettman to step down by guaranteeing him strippers for life and free lap dances. He's got the money to live comfortably I'm assuming.

Lap dance before breakfast.
Lap dance after lunch.
Lap dance during dinner.
Lap dance before bedtime.

Doesn't seem like too bad of an offer.

We all can dream I guess. laugh.gif

#24 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Bettman is not a bad commish, and I found that this excerpt from eklund [ph34r.gif] summed it up nicely:
......This schedule fiasco is not his fault, it is the thirty teams who voted on it. He just takes the hits.

Is he a weak commisioner? Unless you have sat in on a BOG meeting you honestly don't know.

The only sign that I have if he is week or strong was that he got thirty owners to stick to their guns to get a Cap and realistic budget that is needed to make a league like this work. I challenge anyone of us to get Wirtz and Snider to agree on Pizza.

There has never been a comish of any major sport that had to do such a thing.

Goodenow was going to go down with the ship, and take all of us with him. A few big agents with a few big players who wanted 9 million instead of 7 were the reason we lost a season. Believe me that 80% of the players love this system, because most of them, are making more. And when you are making a living off of a sport for a few years, the difference between a contract for 450,000 or 900,000 is SO much greater than the difference of a contract of 4 million to 10 million when it comes to a man's family

The fact is that now who wins isn't about money anymore. It is about management. and that is better.

It sucks if you are in a city that used to be able to buy their way out, trust me there, but teams like buffalo and nashville, and edmonton and calgary can't blame the money.

That is such a better system, and if Bettman was a weak leader, believe you me, we wouldn't have that system, because the big boys would have run the small ones out of town on a rail...

That would have meant less teams, less players working, less hockey in places like Edmonton.

........He is the person who has to speak for Snider and Wirtz, so that they don't have to. That aint easy. Bettman knows the schedule needs to be fixed. He can't do it without 20 of 30 saying to do it.

Edited by T-Ruff, 10 February 2007 - 12:03 PM.

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:41 PM

Just more proof that Eklund is an idiot.

If Bettman really was a good commish and knew the new schedule format sucked, he would've been able to convince one more owner to vote for changing it. that's all he needed.

That he was unable to shows he is either incapable or unwilling to do so, even though it ultimately would be best for the league. He lets a handful of cheap owners have way too much influence.

As for blaming the players for the cap, again, Eklund is an idiot. 80% of the players love this system because they make more? What kind of new math is that? And last time I checked it was the owners who were the ones paying players, not the agents. The inability of the owners to run their franchises is what led to the lockout. Goodenow certainly deserves a fair share of the blame for losing a season, he underestimated Bettman and the owner's resolve and overestimated that of the players, but Bettman also deserves half the blame. Had he started with a less combative tone and had any diplomatic skills at all, the season likely could've been saved.

And let's remember two things. Bettman was the one who set up the last CBA that was so awful. And the owners all agreed to that one. It was his failed economic vision that put the league in such dire straits. yes revenue went up, but television ratings (which are a major revenue source for pro sports) went in the toilet under his tenure. He's taken hockey at what might've been the height of it's popularity in the U.S., and turned it into a fringe sport.

Bettman needs to have a vision of what's best for the league and convince the often short-sighted cheap ass owners to comply, because what's best for the league often will make it more profitable, which will be good for the owners as well.

Instead we get to play Columbus every other day. And half the country never gets to see Crosby or AO play in their town.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 10 February 2007 - 12:42 PM.

#26 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:32 PM

Ultimately, Bettman answers to the owners. During the last CBA they proposed a cap to curb the growth of player salaries, which the players naturally shot down. In the end it was the owners who gave in and accepted the old system because they were afraid of losing an entire season (and no one could have foreseen just how badly the system would eventually turn out). However, they had learned from their mistakes and subsequently fixed them in the most recent CBA with the unfortunate cost of losing an entire season. I don't think Bettman could have saved said season no matter what kind of tone he took. What reason did Goodenow have to think that the owners wouldn't fold like they did in 94/95?

Yes, I remember how horrible it was to not have hockey in December. I remember being unrealistically optimistic about the season being saved and keeping up to date on the latest news. I remeber the season being cancelled and how horrible it was to not have playoffs in the spring (I recall watching freakin NBA playoffs tongue.gif ). But, without a shadow of a doubt, it was worth it. We can thank the majority of the players, the owners, and Bettman for that.

The only reason NHL is on Versus is because ESPN gave the NHL an "insulting" offer because they were coming out of the lockout. In hindsight they maybe should have taken ESPN's bid just on the basis of greater exposure, but ESPN had no respect for the NHL, and (while I can't find an old thread on the announcement) I'm sure people were optimistic about a network that was going to treat the NHL better.

The bottom line is: Bettman takes of lot of crap and - in my opinion - undeservedly so.....

P.S. He knows the people want a new schedule. No doubt that last owner will come around for a revision, there is just too much negative attitude towards it to be ignored for much longer.

#27 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(HenrikRules40 @ February 8, 2007 - 02:54PM) View Post

laugh.gif You're hilarious!

My goal is to win "Stalker of the Year." So far so good? thumbup.gif

It's puckloos, barring some horrble injury... I hope you don't know where she lives! tongue.gif

I'm kidding, of course you get my vote exclamation.gif

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(T-Ruff @ February 10, 2007 - 11:32AM) View Post

P.S. He knows the people want a new schedule. No doubt that last owner will come around for a revision, there is just too much negative attitude towards it to be ignored for much longer.

And yet Bettman comes out and says stupid sh*t in the press how no one has an idea for a schedule they like better, when every one who loves hockey everywhere is pretty much in agreement that even going back to the old schedule would be an improvement.

He's either in denial, or doesn't give hockey fans of a lot of credit as being intelligent enough to know he's lying.

It's the same garbage he said with all the clutching and grabbing pre-lockout. Complaints started growing from the players, from fans, from sporstwriters, but Bettman would stand there and basically say "everyone loves the game. we don't need to change anything." then suddenly with the lockout, Shanny and some other people get the leverage to make positive changes to reduce the ugly state of the game in the NHL.

And Bettman does take a lot of grief, but he is commisioner of the NHL. He more than anyone is responsible for the current state of the league.

#29 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,457 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE(Earthhuman @ February 10, 2007 - 01:42PM) View Post

It's puckloos, barring some horrble injury... I hope you don't know where she lives! tongue.gif

I'm kidding, of course you get my vote exclamation.gif

Hey. Just let me get my astronaut diapers on, and I will be right over. sly.gif

Bettman's major failing is that he makes weak decisions and then doesn't have the brass to step up and change them when he's wrong. To make an analogy, a certain world-leader is forever saying that he's made executive decisions about Iraq, and he plans to stand by them, despite the obviously incorrect nature of most of the plan. Some call that posture resolute. I call it stubborn and stupid.

Bettman is the latter.

Now certainly the state of the NHL has little to do with the seriousness of the Iraqi predicament, but you know what I mean... unsure.gif

** sorry for the political reference.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever