• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WhiteLightning91

Hasek - The 3rd Defenseman?

Rate this topic

Now I know he has done it throughout his career...but why all of a sudden, out of nowhere, has he started skating so out of position and taking such gambles with the puck? I cant understand it. I hadn't seen him start coming out to challenge pucks until the last 5 or 6 games. Can someone please provide me with an explanation as to why he feels this is necessary? Dom is a great goalie 1-1. Why doesnt he just take the chance of a 1-1 instead of going after the puck out at the damn blue line?

AS you said he has done it through out his career, but I think traditionally with other teams he gets a little more action. With this defense in front of him, he is lucky to get 20 shots a night coming his way. Simply put, I think he gets bored. He needs that action to keep himself sharp and in the game.

Now I know he has done it throughout his career...but why all of a sudden, out of nowhere, has he started skating so out of position and taking such gambles with the puck? I cant understand it. I hadn't seen him start coming out to challenge pucks until the last 5 or 6 games. Can someone please provide me with an explanation as to why he feels this is necessary? Dom is a great goalie 1-1. Why doesnt he just take the chance of a 1-1 instead of going after the puck out at the damn blue line?

As you said, Hasek has always been a wanderer.

I think partly he just wants to touch the puck more, and also it keeps the opposition guessing.

He's nothing if not unpredictable.

Are you talking about him going out to play the puck...or this new thing that he's gotten into where he comes out of the net to do the flying death-charge on breakaways....because the latter is not really working anymore....the first couple times it was great...that one on, I think, nash that totally caught him off guard....but these last couple times the guy has been ready for it...I mean every goal scorer probably saw tape on those first couple times and now they're ready for it, if not expecting it....yeah,I hope he stops doing that....

Are you talking about him going out to play the puck...or this new thing that he's gotten into where he comes out of the net to do the flying death-charge on breakaways....because the latter is not really working anymore....the first couple times it was great...that one on, I think, nash that totally caught him off guard....but these last couple times the guy has been ready for it...I mean every goal scorer probably saw tape on those first couple times and now they're ready for it, if not expecting it....yeah,I hope he stops doing that....

Well his puck handling is just as horrendous, but I'm talking about him challenging by diving for breakaways.

Yeah I think he mostly gets bored.

A goalie on one of my teams does that when we are outplaying the other team. When they are not facing a lot of shots they are just standing there. And they don't really care for it. We find sometimes our goalie will dive out of the net, sometimes hit the boards, just to beat out icing calls. They want to stay active, have some blood flowing.

Cue puckloo39.........just kidding. :P

you're just nothing but a bunch of smart-ankles in here, aren't ya? :lol:

OK, now, seriously....? I wish he's stay home more, too. He is asking for an injury and we can't afford that. I believe the theory that he's antsy, due to no work, and I don't mind him skating out to send the puck ahead or something like that, if it keeps him busy and happy. The tackling thing, he could lay off of for a while, since teams are looking for it, and anticipating it now. It works best as a "surprise."

Part of the fun of Dom is you never know what he's gonna do. As Lang said last night, he keeps it interesting. :P

OK, we know you're gonna do the "flying death charge" (I like that one!), so pull out a new trick, please, Dom? He's always going to wander, always will, probably. It's hard to tell someone with his credentials how to play goal, but I bet if the coach says stay home, he will.

Looo has spoken. ;)

Well his puck handling is just as horrendous, but I'm talking about him challenging by diving for breakaways.

I feel like he's always done that too.

It's a case of where he may come out diving on the breakaway and totally get burned for an easy goal. But there's the times it works, and even the times it doesn't, the guy on the breakaway has to be ready for the possibility he could come challenge.

I guess for Dom it's sort of that he may lose a few battles that way but usually wins the war.

As a goalie, the lines of the crease/trapezoid are your friend.

Stay within the lines......

I like puck movement and continuous game flow, but there's no need for a goalie to play a puck when there looks to be plenty of traffic in your own area or if somebody on the other team is going to get to a puck first.

A goalie's first job is to stop pucks, not move the puck around or playmake.

I've noticed this myself...Not to sure why he feels the need to take such risks

Dom can't hear the fans' critiques of his goaltending habits... perhaps it's because he's got a Hart Trophy stuck in each ear (to para-phrase Patty Wahh). :P Lang and Babcock think he's just fine, evidently.

Dom's not going to change, and thank goodness for that. It's just a little blip of bad luck that he's been burned on a couple of plays lately, more often than not, his gambles pay off. He just needs to save that trick for when the other team isn't looking. ;)

His playing style has always been reckless, I've always seen him come out to challenge breakaways.

puckloo, I'm hoping that getting burnt these last couple of times is just bad luck, however it could also be a sign that he is getting slightly slower and older.

I hope not, but that might well be the case.

Dom's OK, it's just the circumstance he's in at the time whether the gamble works or not. Nothing to do with his age, or abilities, he plays the same way he always has as far as I can see. Risks bring consequences, sometimes, along with the rewards. It's the life of a goalie, you are a hero when the play works and the goat when it doesn't.

Dom's still the biggest bargain in the NHL this season, in goal. JMO, but the Wings did the right thing bringing him back for one more rollercoaster ride. I can't see why anyone would complain, but I know they still will :P

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...8-goalies_x.htm

it's a calculated risk, it's not a brainless gamble by any means. he does it for a reason, and a very good one.

and it's worked his entire career. it just so happens that the last 3 times he's tried, they havn't worked too well. just a coincidence.

simple as that.

You've watched Hasek for more than just this season, obviously... as have I. ;)

You have to admit it's exciting when it works! but it also stings 2x as much when it dosen't!

his whole career

Me, too. I first saw Dominik when he was sent to the minors in 1991, no room in Chicago for him behind Belfour and Jimmy Waite. I had never seen anything like Dom.

He didn't just came up with the sliding tackle/death challenge, I first saw it in some of the wild games I saw in Indianapolis where Dom guarded for the Indy Ice, before he got traded to Buffalo. You went to games just to watch him perform magic tricks out there. He's always wandered, always directed traffic, always done things his way and very successfully.

The other guy on the Indy farm team who made it in the NHL was Frank (Frantisek) Kucera. Remember him?

Don't change a thing, Dom. :P

The only time he actually looked good coming out of the net like that was against Rick Nash, and that's because Nash had his completly down (he was looking back because the pass to him was slow). The first time against St. Louis was horrible, and McClement knew he was coming, but lucky for Hasek he lost the puck. The other times... well, you know the story there. ;)

I also have seen Dom do this throughout his whole career. I'm just wondering why all of a sudden has he started doing it the last 5 or 6 games this season. He went the whole first half of the season without doing it, except for I think the NJ game, and he has been pretty damn good. So why all of a sudden start taking all the risks?

I don't know. Can't really tell someone what to do when they have that mnuch hardware...