• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agalloch

Damn, MacDonald deserves better than this.

Rate this topic

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He's an AHL calibre goalie playing in the NHL. He's living the dream. Years from now he can bring his grandkids to a Red WIngs game, point to #5 hanging in the rafters and say, "I used to be teammates with that guy."

Well saying you'd rather him start then Hasek is just goofy. Hasek is a seasoned veteran AND he's the kind of wunderkind that comes along once a generation in terms of sheer skill. Ask Brodeur, Roy of any other goaltending genious who's played with/against Hasek and I'm pretty damn confident they'd say they respect him and consider him a damn fine goalie, regardless of his style. Why? Results.

And those arent' just past results- he's been playing like a beast this season. Turns out he's human and thus can make mistakes, but that doesn't diminish his play before and after those few mistakes he makes. Sure he's not as good as Puckloo thinks, but he's not far off. No offence loo- but fans always have a bit of a tainted view :)

Joey IS a NHL quality goalie- he proved that in almost every start so far (bar Nash, but again, everyone makes mistakes- including our boys last night- Z was pointless even with his streak lately!).

Well saying you'd rather him start then Hasek is just goofy. Hasek is a seasoned veteran AND he's the kind of wunderkind that comes along once a generation in terms of sheer skill. Ask Brodeur, Roy of any other goaltending genious who's played with/against Hasek and I'm pretty damn confident they'd say they respect him and consider him a damn fine goalie, regardless of his style. Why? Results.

And those arent' just past results- he's been playing like a beast this season. Turns out he's human and thus can make mistakes, but that doesn't diminish his play before and after those few mistakes he makes. Sure he's not as good as Puckloo thinks, but he's not far off. No offence loo- but fans always have a bit of a tainted view :)

Joey IS a NHL quality goalie- he proved that in almost every start so far (bar Nash, but again, everyone makes mistakes- including our boys last night- Z was pointless even with his streak lately!).

Who? Me? Overboard about The Goalie? :yowza: I happily admit it, he's the best. What makes him fun is that he IS human on occasion. And other humans (i.e., fans) love it, too, because it gives them a reason to feel superior, if just for a moment. Truth is, no one except another NHL goalie could ever do what Hasek had done, and so far, even that's debatable.

As for starting Joey over Hasek, I have to assume the poster who implied that was joking or very misinformed or perhaps both of those things. Joey put on a great show last night, one that he could not have delivered without some real skills. Taking nothing away from him at all here... Joey was great. I am partial to most goalies, and Joey could easily become a big favorite of mine, with his attitude and abilities. He's a blessing to Detroit right now, and will be in the future (hopefully) as well.

Other goalies are not the only ones who respect Hasek, so do the Red Wings players. They are confident with him in goal and play a diffrerent game because he's there. His value isn't calculated by salary, since he is woefully underpaid for the results. But money isn't the issue. Results are, as you say, Drake.

Last night's game was what it was, not an indication of things to come or a trend. Just a little embarrassing, and bound to happen at some point. Too bad Joey got the short end, but I think the result might have been about the same with Ozzie or Dom in there.

Edited by puckloo39

I'm wondering if Babcock's strategy (of resting Hasek in the second of B/B games) has a psychological effect on the team. I know it does on me--I half expect the Wings to lose because they are 1) tired and 2) depending on the second or third-string goaltender. The fact that Oz or Joey CAN be brilliant doesn't eliminate that sinking feeling.

Well when the forwards have to sit back and baby sit McDondald the whole game, its kinda hard to score any goals from your side of the blue line

So when Dom is in net, the forwards coming back is responsible defensive play, but when Mac is in net, that's babying him??

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Well when the forwards have to sit back and baby sit McDondald the whole game, its kinda hard to score any goals from your side of the blue line

that's not what I saw last night at all. The forwards couldn't keep the puck long enough to shoot it, due to turnovers and the Blues breaking up every play they tried to make. I don't think Mac had anything to do with it, he just stopped everything except the unlucky (yes, Manny, unlucky) bounce off of Cheli into our net. I haven't seen the Wings shut down like that in a while, but I don't know that it would have been any different with Dom in net.

royedwards, I tend to agree with you, but I am not allowed to say such things. :) Many people do believe the Wings play a different, more confident, game in front of Hasek, but that's their (the Wings', I mean) problem rather than Ozzie's or Mac's...

edit: clarification

Edited by puckloo39

So when Dom is in net, the forwards coming back is responsible defensive play, but when Mac is in net, that's babying him??

No, I'm not saying that the forwards coming back is a bad thing, thats how the game is played but I think that when the team has a rookie goalie in the net that the mentality of the team changes to a more defensive minded strategy and when that for mentioned rookie goalie has never won a game the intensity of that mentality increases with each loss, "try to get Joey a win" type thing

P.S. I NEVER said that when the forwards come back when Dom is in net it was responsible ;):thumbup:

"except the unlucky (yes, Manny, unlucky) bounce off of Cheli into our net."

Cheli threw it in, I saw him!

No, JK :lol:

:edit: was in response to Puckloo39's post

Edited by Elshupacabra

No, I'm not saying that the forwards coming back is a bad thing, thats how the game is played but I think that when the team has a rookie goalie in the net that the mentality of the team changes to a more defensive minded strategy and when that for mentioned rookie goalie has never won a game the intensity of that mentality increases with each loss, "try to get Joey a win" type thing

P.S. I NEVER said that when the forwards come back when Dom is in net it was responsible ;):thumbup:

You don't need to actually say something in this forum to have it attributed to you anyway. Welcome, by the way! :)

Cheli threw it in, I saw him!

No, JK :lol:

:edit: was in response to Puckloo39's post

I know you never said it, I was being facetious.

My point is that it didn't seem any more defensive minded than the Wings have been trying to play all year, no matter who is in net.

And I'd hope they're trying hard to get the win anyway. If they need Joey's record as an incentive to win, we've got a problem. :P

We shouldnt be getting beat 1-0. I blame Datsyuk

Pssh. And to think he wants 7 million. :P

Looking ahead, the Monday game against the Flyers is not an automatic win. The Wings don't beat Columbus every time they play them either. In fact, I hardly see Columbus as any better then Philly, but somehow Columbus has managed 22 wins while Philly hasn't even made it to 15 yet.

Edited by Kp-Wings

You know, the only player to show up at last night's game was Joey Mac. Without him, it should have been 9-0 STL. Cheli trying to swat it away knocks it into the net. Despite Joey's lack of winning, He hasn't gotten any help. I don't think he needs forwards to help him defensively (reference the long-time shootout up in Edmonton) and even then last night he didn't get much help from the team (29 saves in a loss) and ONLY GAVE UP 1 GOAL WHICH SHOULD BE CREDITED AN OWN GOAL AGAINST CHELIOS.

Loosen some of the chains on Joe Mac, and go back to scoring Goals. You'll see wins. If I were Mike Babcock, I'd start him next game.

MacDonald certainly deserved a better fate than last night's result. If not for a few posts and some timely saves by Sanford, the outcome might've been different. Legace certainly did his part as well, he just didn't seem to have to stop as difficult opportunities.

Anyways, back to MacDonald. I was extremely happy for him last night how he performed. I'm not getting ahead of myself with him though. He has some big issues with rebound control, but that should be expected to an extent of a rookie in the NHL, especially one who hasn't even played 10 games there yet.

Hopefully his game last night can be used as a mesauring stick for him to get more playing time in the future with the Red Wings or another team and show that he could be a starter in the NHL in the future. That being said though, I still can't really get a reading on this guy based off of one or two (Colorado road loss) extremely solid games, plus a few average ones, whether he is good/bad, etc.

Hopefully he'll get more PT down the road somewhere.