• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeyCrazy3033

Newbury of the Leafs taken out on a stretcher

Rate this topic

The Leafs/Pens game is on at CBC right now and it's the second I leave the room that I come back in and see a Leafs player on the floor with doctors and such surrounding him. Apparently Petrovicky and Newbury got into a fight and due to that something happened to Newbury that knocked him out? I'm not sure, but by the looks..it seemed like a really scary moment.

Hope he'll be fine!!

Btw, the game is kick ass. Pens were up 3-0 in the second and then the Leafs tied it 3-3 with 15 seconds left and then they scored to make it 4-3 in the third, Pens then tied it, and Leafs scored to make it 5-4, and now it's tied again at 5!

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

I watched it, holy crap im sure glad i had this game on! Quick unexpected fight off the faceoff, after a few seconds of jostling both went toe to toe and Petro smoked him. From what i could see Newbury's head didnt appear to smack the ice causing the KO....looked like a punch did all of the damage. I havent seen anything like this since geez...Kypreos/Vandenbussche maybe. Ironically Kypreos was also a Leaf...

Newbury was on the ice for at least 5 minutes and carried off on a stretcher.

I watched it, holy crap im sure glad i had this game on! Quick unexpected fight off the faceoff, after a few seconds of jostling both went toe to toe and Petro smoked him. From what i could see Newbury's head didnt appear to smack the ice causing the KO....looked like a punch did all of the damage. I havent seen anything like this since geez...Kypreos/Vandenbussche maybe. Ironically Kypreos was also a Leaf...

Newbury was on the ice for at least 5 minutes and carried off on a stretcher.

Damn! Of course it happens the second I leave. Hopefully he'll be okay. It sounds like he knocked him out from the punches? You can tell Petrovicky feels like s***.

Kypreos..man that was some scary stuff.

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

I dont have that game on CBC... :huh: For me Montreal and Ottawa just ended...

Someone should post a replay of that fight when it becomes available

...And there's the game you speak of

Edited by BetweenThePipes

I'm watching it, too... looked like a punch or two did the damage. They kept showing Petrovicky in the box, shaking his hand and wincing, so he's probably messed his hand up. Hope it was worth it. Here's hoping Newbury is OK.

10 goals so far in this game... wow.

OT at the moment. Are we headed for a shootout? :yowza:

Damn! Of course it happens the second I leave. Hopefully he'll be okay. It sounds like he knocked him out from the punches? You can tell Petrovicky feels like s***.

Kypreos..man that was some scary stuff.

Yeah it looked like Petro landed a couple in the brief flurry, with the last one totally flooring him in devastating fashion!

Yay, Buffalo!!! 3-2 in SO. They have to be the kings of shootout wins in the NHL. I watched most of this one, going back and forth between it and Leafs/ Pens.

In other news, Florida is beating Phoenix, 5-1 with 5 minutes left in the third

I can't see that one (Nashvl/LA) on Center Ice, wonder why? I have Atlanta/Vancouver and the end of Carolina/MN. But not Nashville/Kings. I don't get it, literally. Watching the scoreboard. <_<

I just heard that he suffered a seizure when he got knocked out?!

They say he's doing fine now. Thank God!

That's scary... hope he's OK!

Edited by puckloo39

Nobody likes to see a player get carried out on a stretcher like that, but damn that was a great KO by Petrovicky. I thought it would really fire up the Pens but then the Leafs went out and scored that 5th goal shortly afterward. Great job by Staal getting the hat trick in OT. Great game to watch.

Well, Newbury is said to be OK, no skull or spinal fractures. He did in fact hit his head off the ice, it just wasn't the pronounced thud that one would normally look for. To further that point, he did attempt to throw a punch on his way down.

Looks like he may be lucky (if you can even call it that) to just end up with a severe concussion.

This was a great game, i was watching this on Cbc in HD... But anyway to the fight, it was pretty much domination by the pens player through some solid punches and Newbury just pretty much ate them.. It's always scary to see a player get taken off on a stretcher.. Hopefully he'll be ok... Stall get's his first hat trick of the year, Congrads Stall your family is a great hockey family

Well, Newbury is said to be OK, no skull or spinal fractures. He did in fact hit his head off the ice, it just wasn't the pronounced thud that one would normally look for. To further that point, he did attempt to throw a punch on his way down.

Looks like he may be lucky (if you can even call it that) to just end up with a severe concussion.

Yeah i just saw it again and his head did indeed hit the ice.

I thought it would really fire up the Pens but then the Leafs went out and scored that 5th goal shortly afterward.

It was already 5-5 when the fight happened.

Hopefully this won't provide more fodder for those "No more fighting!" peeps. I was listening to XM 204 last night and they had on...uhm...crap, I'm forgetting his name. Used to play for the Leafs back in the 70's, Walker I think was his name. He said that yes, sometimes you'd see injuries like that occur due to a fight...but they're so rare. He also still thinks that fighting DOES police the game better...more respect and all that.

(paraphrasing)

"Sticks didn't get up high. There was no such thing as 'checking from behind' when I played. You just didn't do that. If a guy was prone, you let off. That kind of respect is missing from the game today."

Wait, did I just go horribly off topic...?

Hopefully this won't provide more fodder for those "No more fighting!" peeps. I was listening to XM 204 last night and they had on...uhm...crap, I'm forgetting his name. Used to play for the Leafs back in the 70's, Walker I think was his name. He said that yes, sometimes you'd see injuries like that occur due to a fight...but they're so rare. He also still thinks that fighting DOES police the game better...more respect and all that.

(paraphrasing)

"Sticks didn't get up high. There was no such thing as 'checking from behind' when I played. You just didn't do that. If a guy was prone, you let off. That kind of respect is missing from the game today."

Wait, did I just go horribly off topic...?

When i saw the fight happen, after my initial all out excitement reaction of "holy f*ck that dude got smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , the next thought going through my head as Newbury lie on the ice was here comes the anti-fight clowns again! But if there is a bright side to this, i think its good that Newbury's injury appears to have come from hitting his head on the ice and not just from a devastating punch. WIth guys like Boogaard breakin' bones i think the last thing us fight supporters need is another major injury caused by a punch. Yeah the punch is what led to him hitting his head...but its not quite the same.

I like Newbury alot but thats what happens when you lead with your chin, he should have had his chin tucked in if he is going to go toe to toe. Great showing from Petrovicky, he showed me alot in this fight. Im pretty sure the soccer mom's will be all over this one.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

When i saw the fight happen, after my initial all out excitement reaction of "holy f*ck that dude got smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , the next thought going through my head as Newbury lie on the ice was here comes the anti-fight clowns again! But if there is a bright side to this, i think its good that Newbury's injury appears to have come from hitting his head on the ice and not just from a devastating punch. WIth guys like Boogaard breakin' bones i think the last thing us fight supporters need is another major injury caused by a punch. Yeah the punch is what led to him hitting his head...but its not quite the same.

a bit off topic

I dunno if it'll ever happen but with the size and strength of players today, I think the possibility of somebody dying in an NHL fight could actually happen. You see a guy Boogaard's size with his KO power and just imagine if it were the perfect punch, maybe it cracks a guy's skull or KO's the other guy and he hits his head on the ice and later dies due to some blood clot or something going on inside his head. I remember when that little girl died in Columbus from being struck by a puck. She seemed fine and like 20 minutes later started to siezure or something and died.

I love fighting as much as anyone and I don't want to see it end but in the back of my mind I always think that there's some slim chance somebody will get killed and I wonder if it's worth it?

You can bet one thing for sure, if anybody ever dies in an NHL fight, the uproar will be so loud and so vehement that the league will have no choice but to ban fighting altogether. Old schoolers will feversishly drum up statistics to show that the risk of death is miniscule but to no avail. Mark my words, the moment somebody dies from a fight (and lets pray that never happens) that'll be the end of fighting in hockey.