26 replies to this topic

#21 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(edicius @ February 11, 2007 - 10:52AM) View Post

Hopefully this won't provide more fodder for those "No more fighting!" peeps. I was listening to XM 204 last night and they had on...uhm...crap, I'm forgetting his name. Used to play for the Leafs back in the 70's, Walker I think was his name. He said that yes, sometimes you'd see injuries like that occur due to a fight...but they're so rare. He also still thinks that fighting DOES police the game better...more respect and all that.

(paraphrasing)
"Sticks didn't get up high. There was no such thing as 'checking from behind' when I played. You just didn't do that. If a guy was prone, you let off. That kind of respect is missing from the game today."

Wait, did I just go horribly off topic...?

When i saw the fight happen, after my initial all out excitement reaction of "holy f*ck that dude got smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , the next thought going through my head as Newbury lie on the ice was here comes the anti-fight clowns again! But if there is a bright side to this, i think its good that Newbury's injury appears to have come from hitting his head on the ice and not just from a devastating punch. WIth guys like Boogaard breakin' bones i think the last thing us fight supporters need is another major injury caused by a punch. Yeah the punch is what led to him hitting his head...but its not quite the same.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#22 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

.....For anyone who missed it:

#23 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ February 11, 2007 - 09:52AM) View Post

It was already 5-5 when the fight happened.

Whoops, you're right. That's what I get for making a post well after I watched the game. tongue.gif

#24 Hatcher#2

Hatcher#2

Know Your Role

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

I like Newbury alot but thats what happens when you lead with your chin, he should have had his chin tucked in if he is going to go toe to toe. Great showing from Petrovicky, he showed me alot in this fight. Im pretty sure the soccer mom's will be all over this one.
"Wanna go pretty boy" Carl Racki

#25 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(Lou_Siffer @ February 11, 2007 - 11:02AM) View Post

When i saw the fight happen, after my initial all out excitement reaction of "holy f*ck that dude got smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!" , the next thought going through my head as Newbury lie on the ice was here comes the anti-fight clowns again! But if there is a bright side to this, i think its good that Newbury's injury appears to have come from hitting his head on the ice and not just from a devastating punch. WIth guys like Boogaard breakin' bones i think the last thing us fight supporters need is another major injury caused by a punch. Yeah the punch is what led to him hitting his head...but its not quite the same.

a bit off topic

I dunno if it'll ever happen but with the size and strength of players today, I think the possibility of somebody dying in an NHL fight could actually happen. You see a guy Boogaard's size with his KO power and just imagine if it were the perfect punch, maybe it cracks a guy's skull or KO's the other guy and he hits his head on the ice and later dies due to some blood clot or something going on inside his head. I remember when that little girl died in Columbus from being struck by a puck. She seemed fine and like 20 minutes later started to siezure or something and died.

I love fighting as much as anyone and I don't want to see it end but in the back of my mind I always think that there's some slim chance somebody will get killed and I wonder if it's worth it?

You can bet one thing for sure, if anybody ever dies in an NHL fight, the uproar will be so loud and so vehement that the league will have no choice but to ban fighting altogether. Old schoolers will feversishly drum up statistics to show that the risk of death is miniscule but to no avail. Mark my words, the moment somebody dies from a fight (and lets pray that never happens) that'll be the end of fighting in hockey.
Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#26 Doctor G

Doctor G

Rookie

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 02:08 PM

I had been out of town for a couple of weeks and didn't see any hockey. So I was excited on Saturday to watch HNIC. First and foremost that was a great game, one of the best I have seen this year. That fight just goes to show if you do not get at least part of the arm that a man is throwing at you and tuck your chin, anyone can knock someone down. But most of the damage was done when his head hit the ice. Thank God he is ok!! No one wants to see someone carried of on a stretcher. Does anyone know if Petro ever been in a fight before, what is his MO? Is Newman suppose to be a fighter? Let me know. I do not know these guys very well

Sorry Newbury. I said I didn't know them well.
The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

#27 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(Doctor G @ February 12, 2007 - 02:08PM) View Post

Does anyone know if Petro ever been in a fight before, what is his MO? Is Newman suppose to be a fighter? Let me know. I do not know these guys very well

Sorry Newbury. I said I didn't know them well.

Yeah, both are middleweight fighters. Petrovicky doesnt fight very often, but he's pretty tough. I'd say he's pretty much ranked around the same as someone like Jamal Mayers in terms of fighting ability.
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)