• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ben_usmc

Maltby

Rate this topic

He has really been impressive lately, making nice checks, forchecking just playing great. I also hope we clear out some of our players, Sammy, Williams, Lilja, and I wouldn't mind losing Lang, Cleary, if we can get something half way decent in return. But the prospects the few games they played show some great teamwork and I would be willing to put a little bit more on there shoulders and picking up at least 1 or 2 big players.

Maltby is the most expendable forward on the team.

Top three in various categories of value:

Youth:

Hudler, Filppula, Kopecky

Defense:

Zetterberg, Draper, Franzen

Scoring:

Zetterberg, Cleary, Holmstrom

Passing:

Datsyuk, Lang, Zetterberg

Physical play:

Franzen, Kopecky, Holmstrom

The only other forward who doesn't make that list is Samuelsson, who can score pretty well and is not a liability defensively. For a team that needs all the scoring it can get and has stellar defense, Sammy is more valuable than Malts.

He has really been impressive lately, making nice checks, forchecking just playing great. I also hope we clear out some of our players, Sammy, Williams, Lilja, and I wouldn't mind losing Lang, Cleary, if we can get something half way decent in return. But the prospects the few games they played show some great teamwork and I would be willing to put a little bit more on there shoulders and picking up at least 1 or 2 big players.

Yea, I agree that the young guys i.e. Hudler, Flip have played well of recent. However, Cleary is way more valuable, cheaper, and useful than Malts. Don't get me wrong I love Maltby, but it seems that a whole lot of guys, not just Cleary, can do what he is doing for less. Maltby is a player worth keeping, but not for over a mil.

Youth:

Defense:

Scoring:

Passing:

Physical play:

The only other forward who doesn't make that list is Samuelsson, who can score pretty well and is not a liability defensively. For a team that needs all the scoring it can get and has stellar defense, Sammy is more valuable than Malts.

I also don't see Williams on there.

I think he'll stay for cheap...1 year...maybe even 500k...I still believe he's got something left in his tank, i'm just not convinced Babcock knows how to get at it...it just seemed like he was such a different player before and after the lockout and I really don't think the new rules or age has anything to do with it. I'm not saying Babcock sucks necessarily, but I don't think he really took the time to figure out Maltby. But you know, this is messageboardland so speculation ain't worth much...

Doesnt matter what he'd re-sign for, its all about the fact he's a waste of a roster spot.

I do admit he seems to be throwing more hits lately from what ive seen, but still, you can easily find other players out there who are much more consistent hitters and more stand-upish than Maltby for the 4th line. His role as a penalty killer is nowhere near as important anymore.

ummm yeah i think lilja is the only one i agree with getting rid of. definitely not cleary...or maltby or lang. williams is definitely in a slump right now but maybe he'll get out of it. i just don't get why clearys name was even mentioned?

Doesnt matter what he'd re-sign for, its all about the fact he's a waste of a roster spot.

I do admit he seems to be throwing more hits lately from what ive seen, but still, you can easily find other players out there who are much more consistent hitters and more stand-upish than Maltby for the 4th line. His role as a penalty killer is nowhere near as important anymore.

Exactly. It doesn't matter how cheap he comes back for. It's taking ice time away from younger guys who could fill the same role for just as cheap, and hopefully develop into even better players.

Youth:

Defense:

Scoring:

Passing:

Physical play:

C'mon now........... Let's be serious. There is no way in hell that Maltby doesn't make the list for defense (still a top PK'er) and physical play.... GIMMIE A BREAK. Day in day out Malt's throws his body around more than anyone on the team. Franzen is given to much credit and Homer gets checked ten times as much as he throws a body check.

Maltby was much more effective on a line with someone willing to drop the gloves. Back in the day, Maltby would start the s*** and DMac would come in and finish it. I do agree though he has picked up his game as of late, but his role as an agitator is limited without a heavyweight.

Allso, with the addition of Cleary and Franzen who can bang and crash, do the energy thing, and put the puck in the net more often, I think his worth on this team has diminished.

Guest Crymson

Cleary, with 35+ points and 20+ goals for less than $700,000 per year, is quite possibly the best deal you could find ANYWHERE (outside of rookies, with the rookie salary cap). Why, persay, would you EVER want to get rid of him?

Maltby is a dinosaur. He used to be a great checker, agitator and scorer. Now he does none of the above. He can only grind. Whilst Draper has also lost the check, he's still incredibly fast, and one of the premier penalty killers and face-off men in the league. In any case, long story short-- Maltby will not be here next year.

Cleary will be here next year.

C'mon now........... Let's be serious. There is no way in hell that Maltby doesn't make the list for defense (still a top PK'er) and physical play.... GIMMIE A BREAK. Day in day out Malt's throws his body around more than anyone on the team. Franzen is given to much credit and Homer gets checked ten times as much as he throws a body check.

Ok, Maltby leads the team with hits with 82--and none of them have been significant.

Anyway, we've got the money to pick up a guy like Laraque who can hit, fight and score.

Guest Crymson

ummm yeah i think lilja is the only one i agree with getting rid of. definitely not cleary...or maltby or lang. williams is definitely in a slump right now but maybe he'll get out of it. i just don't get why clearys name was even mentioned?

Agreed, except on Williams. He takes up a valuable roster space, and he has shown no signs of improving. IMO, even in best of times he's an incomplete player. If we can deal him, I feel we should. He may be of use to a team that doesn't have the scorers we do.

I'd do anything to get rid of Lilja.

Lang? I feel he's become a Wing. We'll see this summer if he feels the same way. I feel that a unique strength of the Wings is the bond that longtime players develop with the organization. If he wants to partake for a decent price, I feel he's worth it.

Cleary? I'll skin anyone who again advocates dropping him.

Nice Avatar.

Agreed, except on Williams. He takes up a valuable roster space, and he has shown no signs of improving. IMO, even in best of times he's an incomplete player. If we can deal him, I feel we should. He may be of use to a team that doesn't have the scorers we do.

I'd do anything to get rid of Lilja.

Lang? I feel he's become a Wing. We'll see this summer if he feels the same way. I feel that a unique strength of the Wings is the bond that longtime players develop with the organization. If he wants to partake for a decent price, I feel he's worth it.

Cleary? I'll skin anyone who again advocates dropping him.

Nice Avatar.

Ah..yes. I agree with the Williams thing. But yeah definitely no dropping Cleary.

And thanks :D

Come on gang, we all know what Maltby is responsible for...knocking our net off during the playoffs when the opposition gets too fiesty around our net! (Anybody remember that in 2004?) :D

Edited by aflac9262

I like Maltby because he's served this organisation so well for a long time. But I think that next season would be a good time to give a chance to a younger player who has more passion and will to prove himself and who could give us some production in the future (suggestions who that might be..? :huh: ). Maltby's point production has worryingly become almost non-existent. Sure he's still valuable on the penalty kill but we already have guys like Dats and Flip taking shifts on the kill so our penalty kill isn't gonna suck anyway.

I advocate getting rid of Williams over Maltby. While Maltby's checks aren't earth shattering, at least he's still doing that. Williams doesn't do anything. He doesn't score, hit, fight. Nothing. Next to Lilja he is probably the most useless player on the team. He serves no purpose other than stealing ice time from Hudler and Filppula.