• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rwfan007

ok, besides...

Rate this topic

Theres talk of the Wings wanting to add a gritty 3rd/4th line guy. Another report on spectors today says the Wings are "front runners for Peter Forsberg."

Technically, a move that *could* happen is Peter Forsberg AND Todd Fedoruk to the Wings. No, Forsberg isnt a gritty guy, but Zetterberg is his protege and Forsberg does quietly have 38 points in 39 games bum foot, crappy team and all. Fedoruk, on the other hand, has an impressive 12pts in 38 games for a guy thats a known enforcer. Not sure what the Wings would give up, but its an interesting trade scenario to think about.

Personally, Id prefer Guerin with the way hes playing, but Hollands aversion to players with balls makes that unlikely.

is it too much to ask to bring back the '97 team? :blush: that was my favorite of the three cup teams. no? darn. well, lets see what holland can come up with this year.

Edited by rwfan007

If a scoring forward AND a gritty forward come on board, who sits? Willy is gone, forget him. Who else? One of the rookies, I suppose. Hudler would probably find himself as the odd man out.

It depends too on who we'd give up in a trade. I'm wondering what we'd lose if they did bring Forsberg to Detroit, it's not something I exactly look forward to.. as the guys worth their stuff on the team look good to keep for the coming years, and the ones that'd be good to ditch, well..

..yeah, the league knows they're ditch-worthy too. =p

Other deals though, no idea. I don't keep up on stuff around the league too much. Would another defenseman beside and -around- Schneider,and Chelios's caliber be useful? I'd be down with someone adding a definite dynamite physical presence back there, too. Not just in the front. That would just make me happy to know and see two or three guys laying out some good checks and showing that side of the game, also, with the usual style the team has. God knows they can use some genuine tough players all-around the ice.

The fact that Fedoruk dropped the gloves last week has him way back up on my radar. I think he just fell down right away or whatever, but still, ive been wondering about his face since i believe he hadnt fought at all since going with Boogaard way back.

There's absolutely a need for a physical 3rd/4th liner. If someone like Hudler has to sit so be it, its all about adding a player to the linuep who provides a different dimension to the team. In a perfect world, Guerin and Fedoruk would be the 2 guys they'd get.

With all this talk about a gritty winger, it makes me really confused. As much as I would like to see it, it doesn't really solve the wings problems of the past.

05-06 - Lost because Manny had a meltdown, Lilypads was in, and the wings, besides a select few, couldn't find the back of the net. The oilers were rediculously fast compared to us, and picked off our passes with ease.

03-04 - Lost because Kipper was a monster and pretty much shut down everything we had going. Again, no one really found the back of the net.

02-03 - Giguere was a beast too. Stopped everything that was coming at him.

My point is, that we need great goaltending - CHECK.

We need a SCORING winger - Now Hiring.

If the player is gritty, thats a bonus at this point. However, we need a speedy, scoring winger first and foremost. Grit doesn't factor into the way the wings play nearly as much as puck retention.

Edit**** Forgot to offer something other than a scoring winger. I too would also like to see an additional depth D-man. Markov is great when he's here, but we all know what happens when one of our guys is out... <_< Thats right, Lils.

I am enjoying our 4th line griffs boys at the moment. I think they will continue to contribute. (So dont break them up.) Our 3rd line of Malts, Drapes, and The Franz is great as a checking line. Just wish that we could get more offensively out of them.

Edited by swedishconnection

i think hudler and williams are gone.. but in a way i hope hudler stay cause of his output in limited time.. but were also getting kopecky back in march sometime if not sooner. so i say atleast williams will be gone along with maybe hudler, and or draft picks, and a few prospects. but i really hope we dont get forsberg

While everyone is speaking of needing to trade prospects or young guys to acquire anyone, the general concencus seems to be we only have forward prospects. What about someone like a Derek Meech, Jakub Kindle, or Jonathan Ericsson. A package of Williams, Lilja, a young Dman, and a pick, doesnt seem to bad. Don't forget, Kronwall and Lebda are still very young, so its not a worry to trade away one young D man. A team like Philly may need someone like that, considering their D is slow.

The rumor I heard in the hockey news was that Williams and Hudler will be delt and probably a draft pick or two, it doesn't seem like Holland wants to touch the young guys in the minors,but since Joey Mac has been playing I was wondering if the Wings will use him as trade bait. I would love to see Marty Lapointe back in the Winged Wheel.

Other than the obvious need (scoring winger), I want to see Holland get Todd Fedoruk. He's found a little bit of offense this season, and he's physical and he fights. But it's those qualities that make it unlikely that Holland will get him. If only he had played for the Wings at least once before, we could count on him coming here. :P

With all this talk about a gritty winger, it makes me really confused. As much as I would like to see it, it doesn't really solve the wings problems of the past.

05-06 - Lost because Manny had a meltdown, Lilypads was in, and the wings, besides a select few, couldn't find the back of the net. The oilers were rediculously fast compared to us, and picked off our passes with ease.

03-04 - Lost because Kipper was a monster and pretty much shut down everything we had going. Again, no one really found the back of the net.

If the player is gritty, thats a bonus at this point. However, we need a speedy, scoring winger first and foremost. Grit doesn't factor into the way the wings play nearly as much as puck retention.

Edit**** Forgot to offer something other than a scoring winger. I too would also like to see an additional depth D-man. Markov is great when he's here, but we all know what happens when one of our guys is out... <_< Thats right, Lils.

I am enjoying our 4th line griffs boys at the moment. I think they will continue to contribute. (So dont break them up.) Our 3rd line of Malts, Drapes, and The Franz is great as a checking line. Just wish that we could get more offensively out of them.

I think part of the Wings problems all those seasons was their inability to control the corners, cycle the puck and go hard to the net. Teams sat back, clogged the center lanes, and forced the Wings to take shots from the periimeter.

A physical winger who can win those battles in the corner and crash the net (read: grit) will definitely help Detroit in the playoffs.

I kind of have a hard time believing that Williams will be a part of any package that goes for a "good" player. I don't know which team in this league would even want a guy like him. So maybe if we get a 4th liner and a pick or two he might go in that kind of deal. I just think that as much as we want to get rid of him, it's going to be hard to find a buyer.

I think part of the Wings problems all those seasons was their inability to control the corners, cycle the puck and go hard to the net. Teams sat back, clogged the center lanes, and forced the Wings to take shots from the periimeter.

A physical winger who can win those battles in the corner and crash the net (read: grit) will definitely help Detroit in the playoffs.

I completely agree. If we can't skate the puck in, we need to dump it into the corners, and as it stands we dont have a player good enough to get it out of the corners consistently for a whole playoff series. The way you break a trap is with speed and strength. You need to get to the loose puck in the corner first and then sustain the beating you will take controlling the puck to the front of the net.

Guest Crymson

besides the obvious need of a gritty scoring winger, what other moves could happen for the wings by the deadline?

Laraque!!!

Phoenix is RIPE for the taking. Doan/Nagy and Laraque. Laraque is gone next year anyway.

Agreed. They need someone (more than one, really, but we have to start somewhere) with the heart and the STONES to play that style of hockey. Haven't had that around here since '97 or '98, and it shows.

i think hudler and williams are gone.. but in a way i hope hudler stay cause of his output in limited time.. but were also getting kopecky back in march sometime if not sooner. so i say atleast williams will be gone along with maybe hudler, and or draft picks, and a few prospects. but i really hope we dont get forsberg

So your saying that Williams and Kopecky cancel each other out, have you watched a Wings game before???? Kopecky has 1 point in 20 something games, no Williams isn't scoring like he was last year but is a hell of a lot more valuable than a rookie who has been injured all year. WAKE UP BEFORE YOU SPEAK!

Agreed. They need someone (more than one, really, but we have to start somewhere) with the heart and the STONES to play that style of hockey. Haven't had that around here since '97 or '98, and it shows.

[/quote

The Red Wings are simply not that type of hockey team, they control hockey games by making teams react to whatever they do and attack when the opportunities arise, they don't NEED any grittyness but definately could use a goal scorer.

Laraque!!!

Phoenix is RIPE for the taking. Doan/Nagy and Laraque. Laraque is gone next year anyway.

Laraque is the worst hockey player I've seen in my life and would burn all wing apparel if that piece of garbage ever puts on a wing wheel, that would never happen so I don't know why Im getting worked up. The Wings know better than considering a piece of trash like him anyways.

YATZEE!