• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeta Power 40

Doan Re-Signs: 5 years, $23 million

Rate this topic

Good deal for both sides.

Phoenix retains the face of the franchise (and one of the only true power forwards) for a reasonable sum. Doan gets stability and the chance to become one of the rare players who plays his entire career in one city.

That's a s***load of money. Hopefully that means we can pick up Laraque as our scrapper.

The interesting part if Laraque signed with the Wings is that they'd only have to pick up $278,048.88 (if the trade was made on the day of the deadline). That's nothing for bringing in a guy that will protect your stars.

Addition: $351,219.60 if the deal was made before the Wings game tonight.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

The interesting part if Laraque signed with the Wings is that they'd only have to pick up $278,048.88 (if the trade was made on the day of the deadline).
Yeah... But the Wings would also be on the hook for a $1.2M cap hit next season. Edited by Systemfel

So, Bill Guerin, anyone?

Seriously, why hasnt Bill Guerin's name come up as more than a passing thought in terms of the Wings interest. A fast gritty big goal-scoring winger whose cap hit would be around 500k?? What exactly about Bill Guerin do we NOT need?

Yeah... But the Wings would also be on the hook for a $1.2M cap hit next season.

That's not appreciably more than league minimum. Maltby will (should) be gone, his salary can be used to cover Laraque's with room to spare.

Seriously, why hasnt Bill Guerin's name come up as more than a passing thought in terms of the Wings interest. A fast gritty big goal-scoring winger whose cap hit would be around 500k?? What exactly about Bill Guerin do we NOT need?

I guess the only thing that might scare the Wings off (other than winning the Forsberg sweepstakes) is Davidson's asking price. Blues got some pretty sick value out of trading Doug Weight last season.

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

Yeah... But the Wings would also be on the hook for a $1.2M cap hit next season.

I would gladly pay Laraque $1.2M, he is by far the toughest guy in the league and he can put up points, 21 points and a +6 rating on a terrible team is pretty damn good.

That's not appreciably more than league minimum. Maltby will (should) be gone, his salary can be used to cover Laraques' with room to spare.

I guess the only thing that might scare the Wings off (other than winning the Forsberg sweepstakes) is Davidson's asking price. Blues got an some pretty sick value out of trading Doug Weight last season.

:sly: Exactly

I'm not opposed to Guerin, I'd just rather have Keith. He's meaner and hits alot more and harder, and will drop gloves if need be.

At least now this Doan crap can be put to rest....

Looks like they both been in a couple this year. For me it's not so much the frequency as much as the willingness. As they both are. Like I said, I wouldn't really mind either, I just think Tkachuk is a bit tougher, meaner, and a better hitter. To me that's more important than goal scoring ablility, which Guerin has more of.

Hopefully that means we can pick up Laraque as our scrapper.

Pass.

The interesting part if Laraque signed with the Wings is that they'd only have to pick up $278,048.88 (if the trade was made on the day of the deadline). That's nothing for bringing in a guy that will protect your stars.

How's that old line go? "When a crusher becomes a rusher, he will soon become an usher." While that may not apply entirely to Laraque, wasn't there a big issue a couple years back that Laraque didn't want to be an "enforcer"? He's got six fighting majors and just 52 PIMs all year.

I'm not saying that I don't believe he'd help "protect" the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom, I just think it answers ONE aspect of what the Wings need rather than two or three.

For example, while not the fighting type (we don't need strictly a fighter, but someone that *will* drop the gloves when need be) a guy like Guerin, Tkachuk and Bertuzzi (depending where his head is at) will do that AND re-inforce the 2nd line AND provide scoring punch on the power-play.

Lately it's been reported that JD would prefer to re-sign Guerin and deal Tkachuk.

Pass.

How's that old line go? "When a crusher becomes a rusher, he will soon become an usher." While that may not apply entirely to Laraque, wasn't there a big issue a couple years back that Laraque didn't want to be an "enforcer"? He's got six fighting majors and just 52 PIMs all year.

I'm not saying that I don't believe he'd help "protect" the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom, I just think it answers ONE aspect of what the Wings need rather than two or three.

For example, while not the fighting type (we don't need strictly a fighter, but someone that *will* drop the gloves when need be) a guy like Guerin, Tkachuk and Bertuzzi (depending where his head is at) will do that AND re-inforce the 2nd line AND provide scoring punch on the power-play.

Lately it's been reported that JD would prefer to re-sign Guerin and deal Tkachuk.

True, but if the cap hit is beyond minor (which it is in Laraque's case) it might not be the worst idea.

Now that being said, I agree that the Wings would be better off with a guy like Bertuzzi/Guerin/Tkachuk coming in, but Laraque wouldn't be a bad insurance policy for guys like Z and Dats if any of the aforementioned don't end up in the Winged Wheel, and the Wings get skunked by inactivity come trade deadline time.

The only thing that turns me off about Laraque is his $1.2 million salary we'd have to pick up next season.

Sidenote: True, the Wings needs go deeper than Laraque, and obviously those are things Holland better address before even thinking about bringing in a guy like him. Let's just hope it happens this year.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I would be shocked if Holland traded for Laraque for the reason you mentioned (extra year commitment) and because of the ones I mentioned.

Even if the cap hit is relatively small, it is still one of 18 available skater positions and one that would be better utilized with someone of a higher skill set.

I would be shocked if Holland traded for Laraque for the reason you mentioned (extra year commitment) and because of the ones I mentioned.

Even if the cap hit is relatively small, it is still one of 18 available skater positions and one that would be better utilized with someone of a higher skill set.

Agreed, but again, I'm referring to a skunk situation on the day of the deadline.

In other words, a last second, we've got nothing else kind of deal.

Good for the Yotes. I really didn't see the Wings signing him anyway.

Eh I'm not a fan of Laraque.

I'm not much of a fan of his either, but if he gives Dats and Z some room to work in the playoffs, and it costs us next to nothing, its not the worst thing that could happen.

That being said, a lot better things could happen than Laraque. :sly:

Not that I was ever totally convinced he was coming here but I am Very suprised he has made this deal. I know he has a good relationship with Wayne, and that he has been with the franchise his whole career, and that he has made a home there for his wife and kids, Yet, he is such a competator and I really thought he would want to move to a team with better playoff hopes. He hasn't seen the post season in what 5 years? And on paper this last year was Phoenix's best team ever. And what did they do with it?

Well, I suppose good on him for stickin' with the team, they do need him there, but he would be great to see in post-season play.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Addition: $351,219.60 if the deal was made before the Wings game tonight.

Heh much rather pay him that than Williams or Maltby

I would gladly pay Laraque $1.2M, he is by far the toughest guy in the league and he can put up points, 21 points and a +6 rating on a terrible team is pretty damn good.

Agreed. Wish we could get him.