• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zion

Maple Leafs fan sums up Philly loss.

Rate this topic

On another NHL forum, we routinely make fun of Toronto... but, despite the poor spelling and punctuation errors, it is hard to disagree that we're unable to defend ourselves... the Cup comment is laughable, however, so please disregard:

"dont believe I ever bragged, and will never brag about anything Philthy does, but I will find humour in that s*** team kicking your pansy teams ass, especially considering the Leafs are going to kick their ass tomorrow night. and it's not just that they destroyed you on the scoreboard, it's that they smacked you guys around like such a sorry ass pansy team, the same way the blues did, and God knows how many others do. For as much as people like to talk s*** about the Leafs, I can say that there is no greater shame than seeing your team get their ass kicked on the scoreboard, watching your players get jumped and seeing them turtle up as there only answer ever to a fight, and refusing to go out there and hand out a beating. for years when the leafs have went down, they went down with pride, unlike your shameful team. for all the cups you have of late, they are not worth these all time lows you hit. I wouldn't trade our losing with pride, for your winning and laying down like ways."

Do all Leafs fan feel this way about Detroit? Do all other teams view us as cowards? What will this loss do to affect what we do before the trade deadline or how other teams play us in the post-season?

40 years without a championship will do that, but the way Calgary and Edmonton have handled us the past few years, we need some toughness. I find it interesting that a lot of teams bench their tough guys when we come in because we're not a physical threat and we can roll 4 skating lines... but, the teams that can't skate with us tend to play more physical and that sometimes throws us off of our game, and this has been the key to beating us in the playoffs.

Yeah, the "I'd rather not get punked by Philly than win three championships" thing is pretty absurd. Anyways,

What will this loss do to affect what we do before the trade deadline or how other teams play us in the post-season?

I think you need to stop going on about that loss. Honest to goodness. How will affect this team at the deadline? In no way. Holland was already on the lookout to add a tough gritty forward... and he still is.

It changes nothing about the post season. Teams that hit, hit. If that's their style, it's what they'll do. If it isn't, they'll do something else. Believe it or not, San Jose really isn't that big of a hitting team. They're all big boys, but they don't go flying around crushing people like Philly does.

I'm sorry but Maple Queefs fans are the BIGGEST homers ever. No matter what, they are better than (insert team here) and it was just circumstances, or a conspiracy or (insert any super lame excuse here) that they lost. You get stuff like "wait until so-and-so gets off the injured list," or "you guys only won because so-and so was suspended" or my all time favorite Leafs fan excuse: the whupping boy. There is always one player who is a bum, and once they trade him the cup is theirs! It doesnt matter, they always have an excuse and the Leafs are the BEST team in the NHL, EVER!!!! They are such a great organization, thats why they havent won the cup since 1967. But I am sure there is a very legitimate excuse, and I am POSITIVE they will win it next year, you just wait! Lemme see, two storied organizations:

Leafs

Clark

Gilmour

Sittler

Bower

Salming

Macdonald

Mahovolich (I loathe to add him as he was a Wing too, and he is one of my all time faves)

Wings

Howe

Yzerman

Lindsay

Delvecchio

Sawchuk

Lidstrom

Abel

What group would you rather have?

Would it look something like this?

L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L L

WORD!!!!!

I find that comment by the Leafs rather hilarious, since Philly has absolutely PWND the Leafs for the past few years, physically and on the scoreboard, including the 2003 & 2004 playoffs. It's just ridiculous for anyone from the supposed Mecca of hockey to put down any other team.

Meh , How much toughness do the leafs really have ?

Sundin ?

Antropov is sueless , gill's a pylon , Tuckers injured , McCbae is useless , Ponakarovsky is soft .

Not much toughness there , You could add Bleak I guess , A goon and Mats sundin , there a whole lot better then the wings :rolleyes:

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

Honestly, I was emabarrased after Lilja turtled. We don't stick up for ourselves. But really it's only been like that post-lockout. Before the lockout we had Shanahan, McCarty, Fischer, a little bit younger Chelios, and Sean Avery so it wasn't like we were getting run as much even after we won those Cups. It's not a historical trend for the Wings to not be able to defend themselves, it's just these past two seasons really. Even more now after Shanahan left.

The Wings have to land two gritty players at the deadline, (Lapointe, Tkachuk, Roberts) to turn this around. Because we'll just get jumped in the playoffs by a team like Anaheim or Calgary again. Yeah, the Philly loss was just one loss, but it was a collapse that was brought about by the other team playing like men and us playing like boys. It could be a defining game of the season, as much as March 26th was in our 97 Cup run.

That said, the Leafs fan that said losing with pride is better than three Cups is a jackass.

wow, a leafs fan talking like a wings fan did up until 1997. It's amazing how some of you people forget that we were once called the Dead Wings.

The Leafs fan was referring to one meaningless regular season game as a way to define the Wings as a whole.

How can you not think its an immature, irrational way of stereotyping a team?

On another NHL forum, we routinely make fun of Toronto... but, despite the poor spelling and punctuation errors, it is hard to disagree that we're unable to defend ourselves... the Cup comment is laughable, however, so please disregard:

"dont believe I ever bragged, and will never brag about anything Philthy does, but I will find humour in that s*** team kicking your pansy teams ass, especially considering the Leafs are going to kick their ass tomorrow night. and it's not just that they destroyed you on the scoreboard, it's that they smacked you guys around like such a sorry ass pansy team, the same way the blues did, and God knows how many others do. For as much as people like to talk s*** about the Leafs, I can say that there is no greater shame than seeing your team get their ass kicked on the scoreboard, watching your players get jumped and seeing them turtle up as there only answer ever to a fight, and refusing to go out there and hand out a beating. for years when the leafs have went down, they went down with pride, unlike your shameful team. for all the cups you have of late, they are not worth these all time lows you hit. I wouldn't trade our losing with pride, for your winning and laying down like ways."

Do all Leafs fan feel this way about Detroit? Do all other teams view us as cowards? What will this loss do to affect what we do before the trade deadline or how other teams play us in the post-season?

While his message lacks proper grammer and spelling and comes across as rather gruff, everything he said is bang-on. It's for all the above reasons that we will get our asses handed to us in the first round of the playoffs. We're a very easy team to push over. In fact, teams must love coming into Detroit because they know they're not going to have one extra bruise when they leave. Sure, we'll probably beat them, but games are 1000x different in the playoffs. It's about will over skill and our team lacks the former. We watched Philly smack our goalies and our players around without so much as sneezing in their direction. That game was like a playoff game with it's physicality and emotion. If lowly Philly can do that to the Wings what do you think San Jose or Nashville will do to us? Or Heaven forbid we ever meet the Ducks. We'll be hammered through the ice!

This team lacks muscle and backbone. It's lacked it for years now and yet Holland continues to turn a blind eye while smiling endlessly at all the useless regular season accolades his team accumulates.

The last three playoff exits indicate that we can no longer call it a stereotype. The way we lost in each year is for the exact same reasons. We're bullied onto the golf course. Sure, we always find a way to blame the goalie but we can't keep doing that when we lose games 1-0 or 2-1. Our offense is easily shutdown in the postseason because we have too many race horses and not enough work horses.

And I'm sure this guy is bitter because his team hasn't done squat in 40 years. It's the reason why the Leafs put on useless 'celebrations' each year. Lets honour Bjorn Salming. Are you kidding? And now they're going to honour the 67 Cup winning team this year. They'll find any reason to celebrate something because they haven't been able to celebrate anything of signficance since before Disco. The Leafs organization and their fans are pathetic. Sure, we're a pile of p*ssies when it comes to playoff hockey these days but each playoff exit we've experienced over the past 4 years is made a touch easier from the 3 Cups I witnessed over a 6 year span.

Edited by Hank

exactly.

don't even waste your time getting into it with that Leaf's fan.

That would be the definition of 'pointless'. Teaching a dog how to speak would bear more fruit. :D

May it always be them that are bitching about us and not the other way around. ;)

While his message lacks proper grammer and spelling and comes across as rather gruff, everything he said is bang-on. It's for all the above reasons that we will get our asses handed to us in the first round of the playoffs. We're a very easy team to push over. In fact, teams must love coming into Detroit because they know they're not going to have one extra bruise when they leave. Sure, we'll probably beat them, but games are 1000x different in the playoffs. It's about will over skill and our team lacks the former. We watched Philly smack our goalies and our players around without so much as sneezing in their direction. That game was like a playoff game with it's physicality and emotion. If lowly Philly can do that to the Wings what do you think San Jose or Nashville will do to us? Or Heaven forbid we ever meet the Ducks. We'll be hammered through the ice!

This team lacks muscle and backbone. It's lacked it for years now and yet Holland continues to turn a blind eye while smiling endlessly at all the useless regular season accolades his team accumulates.

To quote another LGW member (and Homer Simpson for that matter): "I'm intrigued by your rantings, and I'd like to subscribe to your magazine."

I'm not saying the Wings don't need to get tougher, because I truly believe thats one of their biggest needs as the trade deadline nears. However, lets pose a question here:

Let's say the Wings add one or two tough guys at the deadline. How about Bertuzzi and Laraque type just for arguments sake. Now if the Wings go on to win the cup, do you honestly believe it will be because of Bertuzzi and Laraque, or that they were just the final piece of the puzzle?

To quote another LGW member (and Homer Simpson for that matter): "I'm intrigued by your rantings, and I'd like to subscribe to your magazine."

I'm not saying the Wings don't need to get tougher, because I truly believe thats one of their biggest needs as the trade deadline nears. However, lets pose a question here:

Let's say the Wings add one or two tough guys at the deadline. How about Bertuzzi and Laraque type just for arguments sake. Now if the Wings go on to win the cup, do you honestly believe it will be because of Bertuzzi and Laraque, or that they were just the final piece of the puzzle?

I can't give that a qualified answer since I can't see 'how' that team played once obtaining Bert and Laraque.

If those two guys bring some muscle to the team and make opponents think twice for running Hasek, Zetts, Lidstrom and Dats, while chipping in goals on the way to the Cup, then yes they would be the final peices to the puzzle.

But I'm still not convinced that Holland will get the necessary amount of grit and toughness this team needs. His response to this same need last season was met with an acquisition of Cory Cross.

Edited by Hank

The Leafs fan was referring to one meaningless regular season game as a way to define the Wings as a whole.

It's not far-fetched that other teams will look at this nationally televised regular season game and say, "Ok, we'll just beat them off the puck." It could be a defining game. Philly isn't a good team. And they hammered us. I'm not saying that this is who we are, but it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy, and we'll get bounced out of the playoffs by a team that plays like that.

wow, a leafs fan talking like a wings fan did up until 1997. It's amazing how some of you people forget that we were once called the Dead Wings.

Homeboy, the "Dead Wings" thing died at the beginning of the 90's. You do realize that before '97 Detroit had become one of the elite franchises in the league. At the very least in '95 Wings fans were talking about a Cup Final appearance. Leaf fans on the other hand......