#21 Aeothe Kaear

Aeothe Kaear

puttin' on the foil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ February 15, 2007 - 07:08PM) View Post

It's a cold weather city. That automatically means its a good market!!!111

Actually, it isn't really, it's very rarely below freezing here.

I find this bizarre, though... there is absolutely no buzz about hockey here whatsoever, and word on the Sonics (who want a new building even though nobody here cares about them either, nor is there anything wrong with Key Arena) in the newspapers has been that they're going to relocate to [crappy suburb] Renton. This place is 100% Mariners and Seahawks all the time, even in the offseason. Nobody else rates.

"I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin' hand. That pisses me right off." -- Dino Ciccarelli

#22 krudmonk v2.0

krudmonk v2.0

with balls

• PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(BlakChamber @ February 15, 2007 - 07:08PM) View Post

It's a cold weather city. That automatically means its a good market!!!111

That pretty much sums up every thread about Seattle/Portland and the NHL.
burnedwagons

#23 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(Devereaux_21 @ February 15, 2007 - 04:10PM) View Post

Yea, but the Kings, Ducks, Devils, Islanders, and the Capitals are in the bottom half of league attendance . http://sports.espn.g...dance?year=2007

Well, I named 9 teams, and you say roughly half of those are in the bottom half of attendance. Since by definition, 50% of teams must be in the bottom half, I'd say that doesn't tell me anything at all.

you realize that Seattle could be losing the sonics a team that's been in the area for 40 years due to dredful attendence and you think that an NHL market is going to be better?

You realize that Vancouver lost their basketball team but their hockey team is as strong as ever, right? The Sonics play in the oldest and smallest arena in the NBA. Yes, Key Arena is older than even Madison Square Garden. They're a crappy team and they draw 93% capacity. That article mentioned an NHL team as a potential partner in a new arena, so you wouldn't have to worry about Key Arena holding back the team.

QUOTE(Aeothe Kaear @ February 15, 2007 - 04:26PM) View Post

Actually, it isn't really, it's very rarely below freezing here.

I find this bizarre, though... there is absolutely no buzz about hockey here whatsoever, and word on the Sonics (who want a new building even though nobody here cares about them either, nor is there anything wrong with Key Arena) in the newspapers has been that they're going to relocate to [crappy suburb] Renton. This place is 100% Mariners and Seahawks all the time, even in the offseason. Nobody else rates.

I disagree about the hockey buzz. Up here in Everett there's a reasonable amount of Silvertips support. I definitely hear more about the Silvertips and even the Thunderbirds than I ever did in Norfolk about the Admirals of the AHL. You want to see zero hockey buzz, check out Norfolk.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#24 Aeothe Kaear

Aeothe Kaear

puttin' on the foil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ February 15, 2007 - 07:58PM) View Post
I disagree about the hockey buzz. Up here in Everett there's a reasonable amount of Silvertips support. I definitely hear more about the Silvertips and even the Thunderbirds than I ever did in Norfolk about the Admirals of the AHL. You want to see zero hockey buzz, check out Norfolk.

Ahhh, another western WA Wingnut... perhaps we'll have to drink some beers come playoff time, if I'm not already up at Friday Harbor. That's cool that you see that in Everett, but here in the city I never hear anything about the Thunderbirds or the NHL. It may be because I'm a scientist and thus constantly surrounded by pointy-headed people whose interests lie very much elsewhere, but there's really no hockey presence in my daily life here at all (Center Ice aside dry.gif )

"I can't believe I shook that guy's friggin' hand. That pisses me right off." -- Dino Ciccarelli

#25 mannysBETTER3434

mannysBETTER3434

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:29 PM

I have family in Seattle, and last time I saw them was during the Stanley Cup Finals. They said hockey is way more popular in Seattle then you would expect. They are Canucks fans now, but if they got a team I'm sure that would change.

#26 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ February 15, 2007 - 06:45PM) View Post

Oh give it a rest. If you think frickin' Hamilton's a better place for a team than Seattle you need your head examined.

How about Winnipeg? *shot*

biggrin.gif

#27 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(Barrie @ February 15, 2007 - 06:31PM) View Post

I think Seattle would be a good NHL market.

Agreed.
stevienewjo4.gif

#28 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:39 PM

Seattle is long overdue for an NHL franchise. This is a city with a rich history of hockey including: the first American team to win a Stanley Cup (1917 Seattle Metropolitans), a long running Pacific Coast League team (Seattle Pilots), and a great tradition of junior hockey.

If the NHL would ever get started there in a modern hockey rink, I think that the franchise would blossom. There would be a tremendous rivalry with Vancouver, Denver, and the SoCal teams. It might just be the impetus to push Portland into the league as well. If both came into existence, there would be 8 divisions of 4 teams each. Also, the T-birds (WHL team) draw pretty well too.

Seattle is a natural for the schedule makers. There has always been cries from the West on the travel headaches. By moving Detroit back to the Eastern conf. (which is the way it should be), and putting Seattle into the western mix, it would improve the imbalance in travel between the two divisions.

Bring an NHL franchise to Seattle!!!!!!!!

Edited by Mighty Wings, 15 February 2007 - 08:41 PM.

#29 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ February 15, 2007 - 05:35PM) View Post

How about Winnipeg? *shot*

biggrin.gif

Don't get me started ph34r.gif

Winnipeg is the best choice for a Canadian location. In my opinion, it comes behind (in no particular order) Seattle, Houston, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Portland, and perhaps Cleveland and San Diego as a good location overall. So if the league were to expand to 36 teams....ok, maybe then we should consider Winnipeg tongue.gif
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#30 C-TownWing

C-TownWing

Little Ball of Hate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ February 15, 2007 - 08:44PM) View Post

Don't get me started ph34r.gif

Winnipeg is the best choice for a Canadian location. In my opinion, it comes behind (in no particular order) Seattle, Houston, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Portland, and perhaps Cleveland and San Diego as a good location overall. So if the league were to expand to 36 teams....ok, maybe then we should consider Winnipeg tongue.gif
HAHAHAHA good one dropping my hockey-pathetic hometown in there...of the cities on the list, I think Houston, Seattle and MAYBE Portland (although that would remind me an awful lot of Vancouver with the Canucks and Grizzlies) have the market strength to add another major-league team. The Peg is at worst fourth behind those three, and probably third on my list.

PS. Can someone explain to me how we move to the East if the Preds move to Seattle? For the record, I'd hate to see another Nordiques situation, where a team bails on its fans, only to win the Cup their first year in a new city and get a huge group of abrasive bandwagoners right off the bat.

#31 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE(Devereaux_21 @ February 15, 2007 - 07:50PM) View Post

The only thing I really know about Seattle comes from Grey's Anatomy but isn't Seattle a little close to Vancouver. Having to teams that close together can't really be a good thing

Sure it can be! Rivalry is the heat that forges great hockey! biggrin.gif
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#32 kanga

kanga

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE(Devereaux_21 @ February 15, 2007 - 06:50PM) View Post

The only thing I really know about Seattle comes from Grey's Anatomy but isn't Seattle a little close to Vancouver. Having to teams that close together can't really be a good thing

The two cities are just over 200km apart, for your information.

Washington has 4 junior teams in Everett Silvertips, Tri-City Americans, Spokane Chiefs, and Seattle Thunderbirds, they already have a rivalry with the Vancouver Giants.

Washington residents can either be Canuck fans or fans of some other team, when some other team comes to Vancouver, those fans will make the trip across the border to see that team. BC residents does the same thing going to Seattle to watch NFL, NBA, and baseball. It works both ways.

Would it be a good thing to have 2 teams 200km apart? I think it would be great, no travelling outside a time zone. West Coast teams don't have it easy those days.

#33 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(MacK_Attack @ February 15, 2007 - 05:42PM) View Post

What makes Columbus such a bad market? Averaging nearly 17,000/game with a team that has never even competed for a playoff spot is pretty impressive. I think that's a pretty stable market for the time being.

Do people just assume Columbus is a poor market because the team is bad and it's a recent expansion city?

smile.gif Hands off of Columbus Blue Jackets. I'm moving to Columbus next month, and I want the team to be there for a good long time. I need to line up some tix too, and if Nationwide arena is not being sold out, they should be easier to come by.

#34 BigTex

BigTex

Texan Wing Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Seattle is an awesome city, I loved it when I was there a couple years ago on business. Great people and they really support their minor league team. Any franchise would be very successful there.
NOBODY ON THE RED WINGS IS LAZY, NOR DO ANY OF THE WINGS PLAYERS SUCK!!!

(this includes the coaching staff, ownership, scouting department, and JLA employees and their families)

#35 Sting 11

Sting 11

Burn 'em down, Ryan!!

• Gold Booster
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ February 15, 2007 - 08:44PM) View Post

...Indianapolis...

Unfortunately it will never happen. Conseco Fieldhouse was built with perfect basketball sightlines as the goal and all other sports/events as an afterthought. It's hockey configuration is not adequate for the NHL. And with the huge fight that surrounded Lucas Oil Stadium, Indy won't be getting another sports venue for quite a while.

I think that Seattle would make a great market (probly becuz it's not in a hick state!!11!1! wink.gif ), so I guess we'll just wait and see if a team emigrates to there someday.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

#36 Mudvayneowns91

Mudvayneowns91

Colorado Wings guy

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE(Mack Attack @ February 15, 2007 - 05:09PM) View Post

What makes Columbus such a bad market? Averaging nearly 17,000/game with a team that has never even competed for a playoff spot is pretty impressive. I think that's a pretty stable market for the time being.

Do people just assume Columbus is a poor market because the team is bad and it's a recent expansion city?

I agree they're not, but that's not to say I wouldn't be salivating over a Rick Nash or maybe even the potential of a somewhat slumping Zherdev

Edited by Mudvayneowns91, 16 February 2007 - 02:19 AM.

Surfside 6! Who lives there? Surfside 6! Young bachelors? In Miami Beach.

#37 arnoldbuck

arnoldbuck

Can you see the Shooter!?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 02:50 AM

I think Seattle would be good. But good call above, would that be a move or a 31st team? Probably a move, especially with several teams still hurting. Wasn't there an article a few days ago about the Preds struggles?

I will also say (though it has been hashed in many other threads) that there are a greeeeat many cities I would choose before Winnepeg. Some folks made a decent arguement for Ontario the other day but sorry Manitoba, ain't gunna happen. Yes you built a new arena, but with what 14,000 seats?

You had your shot and lost it. Why risk it on a market which already failed?
No Matter How Many Fish in the Sea ... It'll be So Empty Without Me
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any idea's.

#38 MacK_Attack

MacK_Attack

Old School

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(arnoldbuck @ February 16, 2007 - 02:50AM) View Post

I will also say (though it has been hashed in many other threads) that there are a greeeeat many cities I would choose before Winnepeg. Some folks made a decent arguement for Ontario the other day but sorry Manitoba, ain't gunna happen. Yes you built a new arena, but with what 14,000 seats?

15,500, I think....with the space to expand a couple thousand seats. However, they have enough private boxes in that thing to even it out. Just a matter of selling them.

#39 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Sting 11 @ February 16, 2007 - 02:06AM) View Post

Unfortunately it will never happen. Conseco Fieldhouse was built with perfect basketball sightlines as the goal and all other sports/events as an afterthought. It's hockey configuration is not adequate for the NHL.

Agreed.
Even the Indy minor league team doesn't play but a handful of games there.

#40 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(betterREDthandead @ February 15, 2007 - 07:45PM) View Post

*sigh* yes, unfortunately.
Oh give it a rest. If you think frickin' Hamilton's a better place for a team than Seattle you need your head examined.

i think cape breton should get an nhl team.....hahahahahah
GO SCREAMING EAGLES!!!!
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY