75 replies to this topic

#41 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(MacK_Attack @ February 16, 2007 - 11:00AM) View Post

15,500, I think....with the space to expand a couple thousand seats. However, they have enough private boxes in that thing to even it out. Just a matter of selling them.

Winnipeg failed to support a team once. Raleigh is considered a very small market, and guess what? It's TWICE the size of Winnipeg. Columbus, another 'small' market is even larger. Pittsburgh is four times as big, and still struggles.
The only cities in the NHL with population bases as small as Winnipeg? Edmonton and Nashville. One of those cities came together to save their team from being moved after suffering severe financial woes. Nashville is the other.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#42 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(Devereaux_21 @ February 15, 2007 - 06:50PM) View Post

The only thing I really know about Seattle comes from Grey's Anatomy but isn't Seattle a little close to Vancouver. Having to teams that close together can't really be a good thing

Believe me, the hockey in Vancouver has absolutely no impact on Seattle. I used to live in Detroit and then I moved to Seattle, I told people at my school that I was into hockey and they only had a vague idea of what it was. It took me a really long time to find a league I could play in, too. And it didn't turn up being anything fancy either.

I think the potential for a team in the Northwest is great. There just hasn't been enough exposure to the sport. Portland is a great city too and could be good for an NHL team. I actually think hockey is a bit more popular in Portland, but what I know is only anecdotal.

EDIT: My comment about there being "no impact" on Seattle was relating to the popular culture. The people who follow the minors would of course be aware and very much into what's going on in BC. I doubt there are many casual fans, though.

Edited by The Nephilim, 17 February 2007 - 02:08 AM.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#43 DesertWing

DesertWing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

I'm guessing most of the people who have posted in this thread have never spent any time in Seattle. The city absolutely would NOT support an NHL team. They've never had good support for the Thunderbirds. The most frustrating thing about my time living in Seattle was that there is very little interest in hockey. People assume that because a city has teams in three of four "major" sports, they'd be a good fit for a team in the fourth. That's not the case with Seattle.

#44 betterREDthandead

betterREDthandead

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,744 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

I really don't think you can judge how a city will support an NHL team by how they support a junior team. Juniors are several steps down from the bigs. In a town like Kelowna or Medicine Hat, the junior team is the biggest thing in town, so it has lots of local support. In a huge metropolis like Seattle, there's so much else going on, why pay attention to the tiny little WHL team? An AHL team might be a better gauge of interest, but there's none in Seattle.
Posted Image
"Before Detroit games, the meetings are always longer." - Nashville's Paul Kariya

#45 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

some team from the east should go Seattle, then we can finally go to the east smile.gif

Posted Image

#46 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(C-TownWing @ February 15, 2007 - 10:16PM) View Post

HAHAHAHA good one dropping my hockey-pathetic hometown in there...of the cities on the list, I think Houston, Seattle and MAYBE Portland (although that would remind me an awful lot of Vancouver with the Canucks and Grizzlies) have the market strength to add another major-league team. The Peg is at worst fourth behind those three, and probably third on my list.

PS. Can someone explain to me how we move to the East if the Preds move to Seattle? For the record, I'd hate to see another Nordiques situation, where a team bails on its fans, only to win the Cup their first year in a new city and get a huge group of abrasive bandwagoners right off the bat.

Nashville has fans?

Seriously, the Nordiques were a much different situation. They had true fans. Anyone who goes to Predators game are more than likely transplats from northern citites that go to watch because it's a hockey and they like hockey. I honestly doubt that a Nashville native is really in to the Predators at all. And I like to add a message to SouthernWingsFan: This is not a knock on the south, or the city of Nashville. But you can't compare the fan support of Quebec City to the fan support of Nashville. The only reason the Nordiques left in the first place is because they didn't have the corperate support, and up until their final season in 1994-1995, they were awful on the ice in all ways imaginable. If the Predators won the cup, or actually won a playoff series, then that might change fan wise. But their current attendance struggles say something about the situation right now.

Edit: And just to prove a point that I'm not knocking the south, Dallas and Tampa Bay are southern teams and do great in all aspects. They sell out all the time, and their both good teams. The reason why I'm so critical of Nashville is that they are so good, yet the fans are being so fickle about going to the games. I will never understand why they don't go.

Edited by Kp-Wings, 18 February 2007 - 01:18 AM.

#47 Mikester71

Mikester71

Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?

• 48 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

QUOTE(MacK_Attack @ February 15, 2007 - 06:53PM) View Post

It would certainly be an interesting market, that's for sure.
Or it could be a fantastic thing for rivalries.

That's what I was thinking to. It would become a Toronto-Buffalo type rivalry which would be good for the Canucks actually too.

Heck, Seattle already has had a Stanley Cup championship team in its history. The Seattle Metropolitans were the first American team to win the Stanley Cup back in 1917. I remember hearing about a Seattle team as a kid in the 70's, so did a quick google on them and came up with this:

http://www.seattleho...tropolitans.htm

#48 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

From KING 5 News:

SEATTLE -- Multiple sources confirmed Tuesday that the NHL commissioner and deputy commissioner made a personal visit to Seattle last week and met with its top two elected officials.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly flew to Seattle last week and met privately with King County Executive Dow Constantine and Seattle Mayor Ed Murray. Bettman has publicly stated the league has interest in placing a franchise in the Seattle market, but that "building issues" have gotten in the way.

Constantine spokesman Frank Abe described the meeting between Bettman and Constantine as a "meet and greet" and that "nothing was really brewing right now."

NHL Spokesman Frank Brown confirmed the meeting Tuesday, and said "Commissioner Bettman met with the Mayor while on the West Coast for playoff games. The purpose of the meeting was solely to obtain a status report on the new arena."

What...Uncle Gary can't phone? 

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#49 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

Basketball first...then hockey

#50 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Basketball first...then hockey

Sounds like a very familar story that didn't end well at all.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#51 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:40 PM

Even though Seattle has WHL hockey - I just have not heard anything at all about that area having a solid fan base that would support an NHL franchise.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#52 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:17 PM

It makes sense to add another team or two. That would make the divisions in the new alignment equal between the conferences.

#53 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,508 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

It makes sense to add another team or two. That would make the divisions in the new alignment equal between the conferences.

Instead of adding 'new' franchises - I'd much rather see re-location of current franchises to more attractive markets.

I have no issue with Seattle - as long as Quebec City gets a team before them (speaking of new venue being built - QC is in the process of building a 18,000 plus seat multi-purpose facility).

Once again - Bettman, and the BOG will f**k things up.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:40 AM

Instead of adding 'new' franchises - I'd much rather see re-location of current franchises to more attractive markets.

I have no issue with Seattle - as long as Quebec City gets a team before them (speaking of new venue being built - QC is in the process of building a 18,000 plus seat multi-purpose facility).

Once again - Bettman, and the BOG will f**k things up.

Exactly an expansion "draft" is bad for every team involved and doesn't do the new ones any favors they are basically getting leftovers and players who don't want to be there in the first place.

Seattle may be a big market but are they a big hockey market where the owners are willing to invest into an NHL club WITHOUT the NBA being #1 priority ? Also I'm starting to question the BOG more and more, guys like Dolan, Mr. I, Pegula should be part of it.

I mean first the sellout to a piss poor quality product = sportsnet for 12 years and now favoring Seattle over Quebec ? Something doesn't add up

Also Seattle is very close to Vancouver I guess most NHL fans there are already fans of the Canucks.

Edited by frankgrimes, 19 May 2014 - 03:41 AM.

kftx.jpg

#55 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

An article from ESPN (where the motto was, is and always will be: "We No Hockey!"), dealing with an hour-long interview of Uncle Gary by Pierre LeBrun, featuring a lot of 'Bettmanspeak", including my favourites:

"We had a few hours to kill, we were in the neighborhood, so I figured I'd go to Seattle to find out what the building story was," Bettman said. "We weren't there campaigning, we weren't asking for anything, and that's been misreported. Based on the level of interest we're getting from lots of people in Seattle and a fair amount of uncertainty and confusion about the building, we decided 'Let's go find out for ourselves what the story is with the building.' And there's no prospect of a building right now."

"The possibility of a new arena is at best uncertain," Bettman said. "And that's what we learned."

#56 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,096 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

An article from ESPN (where the motto was, is and always will be: "We No Hockey!"), dealing with an hour-long interview of Uncle Gary by Pierre LeBrun, featuring a lot of 'Bettmanspeak", including my favourites:

He should have just said no comment and left instead of however long of maybe it will happen maybe it won't at this time all I can say is that the prospect of bringing a team to Seattle is up in the air with a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man, and it's uncertain whether we should move one bad location team to another bad location while we sort out our priorities we just wanted to see if Seattle was warm enough for hockey, at this time we will have to wait to see if they get snow in the winter, if they don't, we will move forward with our plan to negotiate on whether or not we should have a team there, if it drops below 50 degrees the answer is no.

#57 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

Chris Hansen's number one priority is getting an Association franchise back in Seattle, even though the time-honoured excuses of "poor attendance", "need a new facility" and "can't find local investment" forced the first franchise to move. He wants a commitment from Adam Silver before ground is broken and the dump trucks start moving. Instead of sniffing around Hansen, Uncle Gary's interest should be focused on possible investors who want to bring hockey to Seattle. One huge part of Bettman's make-up is his need to be in total control of situations. The Seattle situation must be cramping his colon.

My guess is that Bettman is looking to set up a location for a move of a failing franchise (take your pick). 

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 24 May 2014 - 06:56 PM.

#58 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Exactly an expansion "draft" is bad for every team involved and doesn't do the new ones any favors they are basically getting leftovers and players who don't want to be there in the first place.

Seattle may be a big market but are they a big hockey market where the owners are willing to invest into an NHL club WITHOUT the NBA being #1 priority ? Also I'm starting to question the BOG more and more, guys like Dolan, Mr. I, Pegula should be part of it.

I mean first the sellout to a piss poor quality product = sportsnet for 12 years and now favoring Seattle over Quebec ? Something doesn't add up

Also Seattle is very close to Vancouver I guess most NHL fans there are already fans of the Canucks.

It can take 3 hrs to get from Seattle to Rogers Place in Vancouver. Most Seattle sports fans know that Todd Bertuzzi did a bad thing to that one guy and now he's not allowed back in the country, and they'd be really hard pressed to name another Canuck.

Probably as many Red Wing, Boston, and now Chicago fans as Canucklehead fans.

Seattle is a bandwagon market. Right now, the Seahawks and Sounders soccer are hot, but Husky football and Mariners baseball season tickets are easy to get great seats.

Sounders fans march across the city to the games, singing together, with other fans coming out of the pubs to job with them, just like in Europe. They meet with the team owner, comedian Drew Cary, at big outside gatherings in the city, and they tell him how they as fans want to participate in the whole scheme of Sounders Soccer and he actually responds quite favorably. They usually sellout the lower bowl, like 47,000 seats or something. That's what Bettman ought to be studying in Seattle.

Check it out.

Edited by T.Low, 24 May 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#59 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

It can take 3 hrs to get from Seattle to Rogers Place in Vancouver. Most Seattle sports fans know that Todd Bertuzzi did a bad thing to that one guy and now he's not allowed back in the country, and they'd be really hard pressed to name another Canuck.

Probably as many Red Wing, Boston, and now Chicago fans as Canucklehead fans.

Seattle is a bandwagon market. Right now, the Seahawks and Sounders soccer are hot, but Husky football and Mariners baseball season tickets are easy to get great seats.

Sounders fans march across the city to the games, singing together, with other fans coming out of the pubs to job with them, just like in Europe. They meet with the team owner, comedian Drew Cary, at big outside gatherings in the city, and they tell him how they as fans want to participate in the whole scheme of Sounders Soccer and he actually responds quite favorably. They usually sellout the lower bowl, like 47,000 seats or something. That's what Bettman ought to be studying in Seattle.

Check it out.

Wow nice seeing european supporters style is getting a foot into the US culture now, the atmosphere will benefit a lot from things like this :-)

But if Seattle is really a badwagon market boy giving them an expansion team would not be a good idea, if they aren't doing well = low attendance ? I think relocation to Quebec and if it needs to be another american city Seattle would be the better way to go.

As always it all starts at the top if they can get Paul Allen involved then sure, because money won't ever be an issue then.

kftx.jpg

#60 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

Wow nice seeing european supporters style is getting a foot into the US culture now, the atmosphere will benefit a lot from things like this :-)

On a side note, this very thing is happening in Detroit, less than a mile from where the new Arena will be built... the semi-pro Detroit City Football Club has built up a strong, loyal following of European-style fans, with the pregame parties, marching to the stadium, chants all game long, smoke bombs, etc.  They drew over 3100 fans to their match on Friday.  It's pretty awesome.