• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

Anyone remember the rules for expansion teams as fat as getting a player from every team in the nhl. I remember we had so many players that we could keep safe but they then got to select a player that was unsafe.

#62 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:42 PM

I think the Panthers should move before the NHL adds any more teams. They're always near the bottom in attendance and moving them to the west would even the conferences up.

#63 STL-Wings

STL-Wings

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Seattle just feels weird for an NHL team.  Portland might be a better fit...might. 

In a perfect world, Quebec City and Hamilton would be on the map but that's all academic debate.  Meanwhile Kansas City still sits with a nice arena but with MLS, MLB, and NFL that city is tapped out with population.

However, if Seattle were to get an expansion or relocated team, I would instantly support the name being the Metropolitans.  Hang the banner!

#64 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:55 AM

Tucson Arizona deserves a team....

#65 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Using the old tried and true "there's only so much disposable income for entertainment" theorem, I'm guessing that the good denizens of Seattle and it's environs would put hockey at the bottom of their list of the four major sports.

But, this pipe dreams is all about Uncle Gary.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#66 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

I would like to see a large two team expansion at a later date. Seattle and another team joining the west to even the conferences.

#67 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

I think the Panthers should move before the NHL adds any more teams. They're always near the bottom in attendance and moving them to the west would even the conferences up.

I would like to see a large two team expansion at a later date. Seattle and another team joining the west to even the conferences.

Expansion really is just a cash cow for Bettman and the league. What they should really be focusing on is moving teams in crappy markets that are losing money due to the stupid nature of the cap being linked to league revenues. Florida is a prime example. Phoenix shouldn't be there either. Luckily they managed to realise these things in Atlanta and moved them to a solid hockey market. Kansas City would definitely be a mistake IMO, and Seattle I'm uncertain about. The NHL never should have left Quebec city really and that's the first place they should look to go, while having another team in the Toronto area would be a massive win for the league in terms of $$$$. The Leafs might be pissed, but they'd get over it.  

temp 1

#68 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:59 PM

Expansion really is just a cash cow for Bettman and the league. What they should really be focusing on is moving teams in crappy markets that are losing money due to the stupid nature of the cap being linked to league revenues. Florida is a prime example. Phoenix shouldn't be there either. Luckily they managed to realise these things in Atlanta and moved them to a solid hockey market. Kansas City would definitely be a mistake IMO, and Seattle I'm uncertain about. The NHL never should have left Quebec city really and that's the first place they should look to go, while having another team in the Toronto area would be a massive win for the league in terms of $$$$. The Leafs might be pissed, but they'd get over it.  

I agree with you, but I also I think they're interested in adding geographically western cities so that the conferences can even themselves out better. What are they gonna do? Make Detroit and Columbus move back to the West?

#69 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

The problem with another team in Toronto aren't just the leafs it's Buffalo, Toronto and maybe even the Devils not liking that but I fully agree giving Quebec back what the NHL has stolen and creating more teams in Canada will be a huge cashmashine for the league.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#70 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:03 AM

What about Wisconsin?  We can have the Wisconsin Cheese!

#71 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

I agree with you, but I also I think they're interested in adding geographically western cities so that the conferences can even themselves out better. What are they gonna do? Make Detroit and Columbus move back to the West?

The problem with another team in Toronto aren't just the leafs it's Buffalo, Toronto and maybe even the Devils not liking that but I fully agree giving Quebec back what the NHL has stolen and creating more teams in Canada will be a huge cashmashine for the league.

I agree with the whole getting another team out west to balance out the difference, and I'm not sure what the answer really is. Maybe it's time to ditch the East and Western conferences and switch to a 3 division/conference format?

Something like West, Central and East? Failing that they would need another NHL team in the West if Phoenix moved - could Saskatchewan house an NHL team? 

temp 1

#72 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

From New York Post:

Wayne Gretzky has joined a group of investors hoping to bring a National Hockey League team to Seattle, The Post has learned.

The Gretzky group is one of three looking to bring an NHL franchise to the home of Starbucks, sources said — but each faces an uphill battle in that league Commissioner Gary Bettman has not said the league is ready to expand.

It is not known if the Gretzky group or either of the other two groups are eyeing an expansion team or hope to move an existing team to the Pacific Northwest.

Uncle Gary has already said  "no" to expansion in the "foreseeable future". Plus, he put all that hard work and effort in realignment, not to mention the cool names for the new divisions. However, we are talking about "The Great One"; you know, the one the League still owes that money to...

#73 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

The Seattle baristas.

#74 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

If anyone can make it happen, Uncle Gary can.

#75 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

Least he knows it's not ready to expand...

#76 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Seattle's a good sports town. Their NFL fans are legendary and their MLS fans are the highest attendence in the league. The NBA f***ed them over, maybe they'll welcome hockey with open arms.

Anyone remember the rules for expansion teams as fat as getting a player from every team in the nhl. I remember we had so many players that we could keep safe but they then got to select a player that was unsafe.

Maybe they'll take Quincey.

Edited by Number19, 07 July 2014 - 01:27 PM.