• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Griffin

What happened to our rivalry with the Avs?

Rate this topic

in the late 1990's and 2000's the aves and wings rivalry was amongst the best in hockey at the time, so many fights and even a few ones with the goalies(inc roy smoking osgood) is it dead now because we have no fighters and all of detroits players are europeans who cant fight? i think a laraque in detroit(possibly bootland) would spice things up to get the heat on again

Edited by Griffin

Where to start? Ok:

You can hit "EDIT" to go back and fix typos.

because we have no fighters and all of detroits players are europeans who cant fight?

Also: North Americans. Willingness to fight exists independently of race.

Finally: the rivalry is dead, dead, dead. It was made in the playoffs and it is the playoffs that the Avalanche will miss.

it also helps that mac and lemieux are no longer in the mix. both teams have undergone major overhauls since the last playoff meeting in '02 so the new players really haven't been through the glory days of the rivalry. the lockout, salary cap, new schedule, and new NHL basically killed any non-division rivalries

Edited by rwfan007

roy was winning but then he got tired, osgood just pushed him he didnt even get any great shots in at the end

Edited by Griffin

roy was winning but then he got tired, osgood just pushed him he didnt even get any great shots in at the end

He with the most stamina wins the fight. Too bad paddy wah got tired... poor him, it cost him the win in that fight. If you are too tired to see the fight to the end... you lose, period.

Hey Griff, are you secretly an Avs fan? Because I thought they were the only ones who couldn't let go of the rivalry. I'm just kidding you. It would be a lot more fun to watch if the games were still as heated. Unfortunately, they're not.

Hey Griff, are you secretly an Avs fan? Because I thought they were the only ones who couldn't let go of the rivalry. I'm just kidding you. It would be a lot more fun to watch if the games were still as heated. Unfortunately, they're not.

I'm not really letting go. A game with the Avs doesn't mean what it used to, but I still take a vengeful delight in watching them miss the playoffs.

Guest Crymson

I hate the announcing on that video. The guy makes it sound like Roy is pummeling Ozzie with rights when in actuality only about 2 or 3 of them landed. What a homer!

I feel better.

esteef

That's Mike Haynes, aka the HaynesBot, quite possibly the biggest homer in the league.

Avs fans spend more time chanting 'Red Wings suck' at games than cheering their own guys.. you hear more "let's go Red Wings!' chants than analogous chants by Avs fans. The Avs fans` answer those chants, typically, with 'Red Wings suck.'

Hmm, original.

Guest Crymson

Europeans cant fight ?

Tell that to Mats Sundin , Tomas Holmstrom , and Peter Forsberg , hey , get Zetterberg mad enough and I bet he'd drop the gloves

..... Konstantinov..... and Uwe Krupp :P

Edited by Crymson

Europeans cant fight ?

Tell that to Mats Sundin , Tomas Holmstrom , and Peter Forsberg , hey , get Zetterberg mad enough and I bet he'd drop the gloves

when was the last time mats sundin got in a fight? homer and forsberg are among the few but zetteberg will not drop the gloves i guarentee you, he isnt a big player and would get owned, i'd love to see a clip of him laying a guy out

Petrovicky fought a few days ago and practically killed Newbury.

Konstantinov fought.

The Samuelssons fought (Ulfinator not often).

J Ruutu fights at times.

The Avs rivalry was about a lot more than just fighting. It was a battle of prestige and the crown of the West (and the league). Neither team is in that spot today. Until both teams are back there, the rivalry will lie dormant.

Europeans cant fight ?

what?? those are 4 of the worst possible examples someone could give...

He with the most stamina wins the fight. Too bad paddy wah got tired... poor him, it cost him the win in that fight. If you are too tired to see the fight to the end... you lose, period.

Osgood clearly lost lol

vladdy was russian and i never said there were no european fighters, just not many

No, what you said was this:

"because we have no fighters and all of detroits players are europeans who cant fight?"

Which rather implies that they don't fight because they are European, which is A.) nonsense, and B.) ignores the good ol' Candians and Americans on this team that are wimps, too.

Of course, Europeans are less likely to fight because of the culture they are raised in; fighting is not allowed in European leagues, they'll suspend you. Regardless, this does not prevent them from doing so when they cross the pond and there is nothing inherent about them that stops them either--so using "Euro" as a modifier on something like "fighter" is pretty much worthless.

Dammit, I was looking for a thread form a few weeks ago which was the perfect response. I dont know who said it, if he reads this, know that I'm not taking credit for your work, just trying to respond.

He basically ripped an Av's fan who was trying to defending Claude and said something along the lines of:

We won more games overall, more games against them, won more Stanley Cups and while we have been able to remain amongst the leagues elite the Avs are now bottom feeders who don't make the playoffs. We won the rivalry and they can't compete with us anymore ... that is why it is dead.

I thought it was a damn fine response, so to whoever recalls typing something along those lines. :clap:

Come on now Osgod! Roy beat Osgood...i dont understand how anybody could see it another way.

Hell since stamina wins fights i guess Darren Langdon is undefeated!

Europeans cant fight ?

Of all the names you could choose from....lol. You picked a combined total of probably 3 career fights.

Colombus has a few Euros who will go in Svitov and Toellefsen (sp?) , theres also Ruutu and Petrovicky. There are some out there, just not many.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Osgood clearly lost lol

A. Wah never landed a clear shot (see Vernon's first LEFT vs. Roy) EDIT: LEFT from RIGHT

B. Ozzie landed on top

C. Shouldn't have been that close. Roy is 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier. Ties go to the smaller. (see Domi v. Probert)

D. Roy has much more practice than Ozzie, what with his wife and all.

Edited by Wings_Dynasty