• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheChosenOne

2 out of our last 3 cups we finished 2nd in the division

Rate this topic

I never realized this, and honestly don't really remember it, but I was just on wikipedia looking at the results of every season in the franchise's history, and saw that we finished 2nd in our division in both 97 and 98. Just something interesting to think about.

I think people underestimate how much doubting a team can make them work harder. Think of any team we've gotten beaten by recently. They were all expected to lose. Everyone doubted their ability to go far. If thats the case with the Wings, Id be more than happy. Give them something to prove. Make them show that they really want it.

If they get there guys at the deadline , and finish 2nd , they could go far

That and if Hasek stays healthy.

Babs has the boys playing playoff type hockey. I like how he tells the team to be tough to play against (hit hard, muck it up in the corners, etc..). We'll be more prepared for the playoffs this time around.

When a team has success, like we did, I'm sure they feel they'll continue to win with ease. You need a few early playoff exits to stop thinking that way and get back to the root of success. The Yankees are suffering from it also. They just figure they'll roll over everyone.

Guest Crymson

I never realized this, and honestly don't really remember it, but I was just on wikipedia looking at the results of every season in the franchise's history, and saw that we finished 2nd in our division in both 97 and 98. Just something interesting to think about.

People feel entitled to see the Wings dominate every game.

If they get there guys at the deadline , and finish 2nd , they could go far

Haha. I absolutely love (sarcastically) these qualifications. IF we get someone at deadline. IF this. IF that... then we'll go somewhere in the playoffs. If not? Nope, we lose, unequivocally. We will lose to San Jose and Anaheim for sure, because they're clearly so good in the regular season... of course, it doesn't bear mention at all that we dominated the regular season last year and got whopped in the playoffs by an 8th seed which almost won the cup--same in the previous 2 years (Cal was a 6th)... but of course, shouldn't mention that because then we'd have some cause for hope, and that would totally destroy our shield of defensive pessimism. Of course, if the Wings DO win, then we'll be yelling and screaming and praising everyone.. but if they don't, then remember, we told you so.

Heh.

I love it, I was watching Sportsnet and Nick Kypreos was talking about cup contenders, and he mentioned a few teams, not one was Detroit. Detroit is the 2nd overall team, but he mentioned teams like Buffalo, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, and Vancouver I believe, but not Detroit.

You know what, I seriously love it.

Guest Crymson

I love it, I was watching Sportsnet and Nick Kypreos was talking about cup contenders, and he mentioned a few teams, not one was Detroit. Detroit is the 2nd overall team, but he mentioned teams like Buffalo, Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, and Vancouver I believe, but not Detroit.

You know what, I seriously love it.

Lots of sportscasters seem to have it out for Detroit. Kara Yorio is another--she seems to go out of her way to avoid saying anything positive about the Wings even when such things--i.e. the current Z-D-T line--that are GLARINGLY normal in her blogs come up. Then, she goes out of her way to talk about why Detroit won't go anywhere, and indeed she seems to have gotten more and more desperate and reaching on this point as the season has gone on. At first, it was "Biggest Faller in the Standings: Detroit--sorry, Detroit, you lost Yzerman and Shanahan and you just can't keep up in the new, faster NHL; then, it was "Of course Hasek is doing great--but it's only December.. he'll injure himself soon and then the Red Wings will be in deep trouble!!!; and now, it's some cockassed story about a soldier insulting the Wings to his drill sergeant, who evidently is a Wings fan. Nice try, Kara..

Edited by Crymson