• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

Should Detroit be Sellers?

Rate this topic

Alright with the possiblity of getting the right player to fill out our offense, and so many questions about what we can do for our team next year with who we can resign.

Should Detroit be sellers at the deadline?

I know our record says no, but our roster seems to say yes.

If we cannot improve our team, I don't feel too secure about a deep run at the cup.

Maybe we should look at moving Williams, Lang, Schneider, Maltby, Chelios and whoever doesn't fit into our long term plans. We could always pick these guys back up after the fact and restock our farm system.

I only ask because it was the consensus that we needed a youth movement before the season started, and now that our trade options are dwindling playing for now might be counterproductive. Maybe that youth movement wasn't needed then, but right now at the trade deadline.

Oh and Pavel too, cannot forget to suggest to get rid of him while we still can get something for him.

I've thought about myself but no, the Wings aren't in a position to sell. Why? Because you have to go for it while you have a healthy Lidstrom at your disposal. He's not going to be around that much longer.

I don't think Ilitch would ever green-light Holland to be a seller unless the Wings were 10-20 points out of playoff contention by the deadline.

Ilitch has always maintained that he wants this club to compete for the cup every single year, and I doubt he'll change that stance anytime soon.

Selling would be more for people that can only worry about the future and not the present, because they have no chance of getting into the playoffs. Detroit most likely I don't think would move Chelios or any of the older players because Illitch if very loyal, the only reason Shanny left is because he wanted to. So I doubt we would sell anything unless we are gaining something GREAT in return, as it has been pointed out people seem to forget we are actually #2 in the west so... Our team isn't that bad

Chelios? What? Honestly, I love the guy. He is a horse and should retire a Wing. But, seriously, who would want him, and honestly, what would be the point? He does not make much and brings so much to the table... why would you even mention him?

Williams - WOULD LIKE NOTHING MORE THAN TO LOSE THIS ******!!!

Lang - I know this guy isn't in our future plans but I really like Lang. He is a big body on the second line and can protect the puck just as good as anyone on out team. But if dealing him in order to make room for a Bertuzzi/Guerin or Fedoruk/Lapoint type player, than I am all for it.

Schneider - Not gonna happen. To important to our PP and is too old to bring any value to any team who would be a seller at the deadline.

Maltby - Never going to be traded. He is too important to our PK and Babcock and Holland both know it. I can see him not being re-signed during the offseason unless he takes a pay-cut.

Chelios - DUMBEST. SUGGESTION. EVER!!!!!

Datsyuk - Please. Can we stop with the "Trade Datsyuk" threads. Holland is not going to go into the playoffs without him even if he has sucked in them his whole career. Kenny has repeatedly said they are not shopping Datsyuk and will not.

The only guys I see us trading are Williams, Lang, Hudler (sadly), and a few prospects.

Chelios? What? Honestly, I love the guy. He is a horse and should retire a Wing. But, seriously, who would want him, and honestly, what would be the point? He does not make much and brings so much to the table... why would you even mention him?

I agree with everything except that nobody else would want him, isn't he our most physical d-man?

I've thought about myself but no, the Wings aren't in a position to sell. Why? Because you have to go for it while you have a healthy Lidstrom at your disposal. He's not going to be around that much longer.

Hasek too.

We're going for the Cup this year!

It's funny how everyone mentions Williams as the deal breaker, but it's so far from that. When you think about, we'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks or a $20 dinner at Hockeytown Cafe for Williams. He has no real trade value at all. He would have to be part of a package of younger prospects or draft picks if we want to move him.

I did not mean to slight Cheli in the least by saying who would want him.... just being realistic. Unless the Wings were dumb enough to NOT sign him, and he decided to play elsewhere (don't see that happening), who would want to trade for him? He brings leadership to the ice, but I can't see anyone calling Holland and saying we want him...

if we weren't in a good playoff position then i'd look at selling, if we were at the bottem of the league start to think about the "re building" word(hopefull that never happens) as long as we're at the top of the league we wont trade our players

if we weren't in a good playoff position then i'd look at selling, if we were at the bottem of the league start to think about the "re building" word(hopefull that never happens) as long as we're at the top of the league we wont trade our players

One point out of first overall (the kiss of death?),we have a good mix of veterans and players in their prime,and players giving it a last shot.

We have to go for it this year,but if someone wanted Lang or Williams,I think you can pry them from our cold dead hands.

It's funny how everyone mentions Williams as the deal breaker, but it's so far from that. When you think about, we'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks or a $20 dinner at Hockeytown Cafe for Williams. He has no real trade value at all. He would have to be part of a package of younger prospects or draft picks if we want to move him.

I agree with you that he is not worth a stinky water bottle but I do have this strange feeling about him...like if we traded him to a young team that is rebuilding he could be a 30 goal guy in this league.