• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

Analysis: Price for players Wings might want is going up quickly

Rate this topic

GM meetings starting today in Naples, Fl.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/stories/inde....xml&coll=1

The Wings will acquire at least one forward capable of playing on one of their top two lines by the Feb. 27 trading deadline. If they're able to unload some salary, they might even pick up another player to further upgrade their problematic second line. And, if they have any money left over, they will likely try to add a cheap, fourth-line banger to address a growing toughness concern.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Owen Nolan would a good fit and wouldn't cost as much as some others.

Agreed but i hope if we do get him we at least get a guy like Freddy Modin or Lapointe to.

Glen Murray would be like re-aquiring Shanny....big body that stays on the outside. Murray may be even less of a physical presence than #14 had become over the last 6-7 years.

while i agree during Lewises run Shanny satyed on the outside last year I was impressed in his renewed fire.

we should make a strong push for ryan smyth, id be willing to give up williams + 1st round pick for him

It would take a lot more than that. If he really becomes available, I think it would take a deal similar to Forsberg's to aquire him.

Smyth for Williams and a first rounder. That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard.

we should make a strong push for ryan smyth, id be willing to give up williams + 1st round pick for him

Kevin Lowe is also willing to laugh at your proposal.

IPB Image

All i have is a Large right now....theyve been going fast.

The Wings have a good chance at going deep this season if Holland can add a few players at the deadline, i really don't think Holland needs to break the bank either to get the right guys. Owen Nolan, Chris Clark and Gary Roberts are the 3 guys that i want Holland to be focusing on, Guerin is the perfect fit right now but St Louis know this and they won't give him away for cheap. Tkachuk is entriguing but he has been a playoff flop throughout his career, would a last shot at the cup motivate him?

Nolan or Roberts would fit nicely to the second line and should be relatively cheap. Looking to the 3rd and fourth lines i really would feel that much more happy going into the playoffs if we added one guy to each of these lines. The guys that i would like to see brought in for the 3rd line are Jamal Mayers, Chris Gratton or Marty Lapointe. For the fourth line i would like to see Todd Fedoruk, Georges Laraque or Shawn Thornton from Anaheim, these guys are enforcers but they have a different dimension to their game that most enforcers dont have which allows them to play even on the top 2 lines if you are looking for room up there.

All of the guys mentioned should be available for current roster players, mid level prospects and/or picks. Now that Phoenix has Doan signed up Nolan should be very available i would make a pitch to them for both Nolan and Laraque, Offer them up a package of Lang/Williams, Meech and a 2nd/3rd rounder. I would offer a similar package to the Panthers for Roberts and Gratton. Lapointe or Mayers should be available for a 3rd rounder.

Edited by Hatcher#2

All of the guys mentioned should be available for current roster players, mid level prospects and/or picks. Now that Phoenix has Doan signed up Nolan should be very available i would make a pitch to them for both Nolan and Laraque, Offer them up a package of Lang/Williams, Meech and a 2nd/3rd rounder. I would offer a similar package to the Panthers for Roberts and Gratton. Lapointe or Mayers should be available for a 3rd rounder.

No team like Phoenix or Florida would want Lang. He's a free agent next year.

Has anyone thought about Dainius Zubrus? He's huge and is having a really good season. He's a UFA next year.

The Wings have a good chance at going deep this season if Holland can add a few players at the deadline, i really don't think Holland needs to break the bank either to get the right guys. Owen Nolan, Chris Clark and Gary Roberts are the 3 guys that i want Holland to be focusing on, Guerin is the perfect fit right now but St Louis know this and they won't give him away for cheap. Tkachuk is entriguing but he has been a playoff flop throughout his career, would a last shot at the cup motivate him?

Nolan or Roberts would fit nicely to the second line and should be relatively cheap. Looking to the 3rd and fourth lines i really would feel that much more happy going into the playoffs if we added one guy to each of these lines. The guys that i would like to see brought in for the 3rd line are Jamal Mayers, Chris Gratton or Marty Lapointe. For the fourth line i would like to see Todd Fedoruk, Georges Laraque or Shawn Thornton from Anaheim, these guys are enforcers but they have a different dimension to their game that most enforcers dont have which allows them to play even on the top 2 lines if you are looking for room up there.

As ive said in other threads, Holland has really put the Wings in a bind by waiting till the deadline to fill a major need that everyone else is looking for. More than likely, I see the Wings doing something like adding Modin and Lapointe, and calling it a day. I dont believe the market for Lapointe will be that strong, with Guerin, Tkachuk, Bertuzzi, Roberts, and Nolan all being above him on the pecking order...as well him having another year on his contract. Modin is just the typical Holland acquisition, cant stray too far away from your roots now!

No team like Phoenix or Florida would want Lang. He's a free agent next year.

Has anyone thought about Dainius Zubrus? He's huge and is having a really good season. He's a UFA next year.

I thought about that and thats why i put /Williams. Yes to Zubrus, this the kind of line of thought that Holland should be following, under the radar trades that no one else is thinking about or has mentioned.

As ive said in other threads, Holland has really put the Wings in a bind by waiting till the deadline to fill a major need that everyone else is looking for. More than likely, I see the Wings doing something like adding Modin and Lapointe, and calling it a day. I dont believe the market for Lapointe will be that strong, with Guerin, Tkachuk, Bertuzzi, Roberts, and Nolan all being above him on the pecking order...as well him having another year on his contract. Modin is just the typical Holland acquisition, cant stray too far away from your roots now!

If by the deadline Holland has added Modin, Lapointe and Mayers then i will be extremely happy.

Edited by Hatcher#2

Do you guys really want to send youth and picks for old veterans like Gary Roberts and Bill Guerin? Guerin is what 36 years old? Isn't Roberts 40? This isn't the old NHL where we can just go and trade our picks away and sign big names in the off-season. We need to think about our future as well.

i read somewhere this morning that the price for guerin is a player, a prospect and a 1st round pick. that's getting pretty steep.

I read on Spector's a first rounder and a player or prospect. If Williams and a first could get it done (which I doubt it could), I'd do it. Williams is garbage and the first is going to be low, as usual.

Haven't forgotten him, he would be soild option and wouldn't mind if he was brought over. But if you're zubrus, why leave your buddy ovechkin? My gut tells me that he'll re-sign with the caps.

Do you guys really want to send youth and picks for old veterans like Gary Roberts and Bill Guerin? Guerin is what 36 years old? Isn't Roberts 40? This isn't the old NHL where we can just go and trade our picks away and sign big names in the off-season. We need to think about our future as well.

Here's a novel idea: why not trade for a younger player who' s signed and will fit into our long term plans?

I know the price will be higher,but you 'll get a long term investment instead of a quick fix.

This type of trade will be much gutsier than Holland has performed in the past few years.(and also more difficult)

I don't get it. We could have signed Guerin or Nolan this off season and not given up anything. Instead Holland signed Greg F'ing Johnson and resigned Lilja. Now will we have to trade picks and/or prospects to get them? That is why the whole wait until the trade deadline stategy could turn out to be a disaster.

For the fourth line i would like to see Todd Fedoruk, Georges Laraque or Shawn Thornton from Anaheim, these guys are enforcers but they have a different dimension to their game that most enforcers dont have which allows them to play even on the top 2 lines if you are looking for room up there.

All of the guys mentioned should be available for current roster players, mid level prospects and/or picks.

Why the hell would Anaheim trade us guys from their current roster?

Modin is just the typical Holland acquisition, cant stray too far away from your roots now!

Modin is big, strong and goes to the net to score goals... that doesn't sound like the typical Holland anything to me. :P

Guest Crymson

I don't get it. We could have signed Guerin or Nolan this off season and not given up anything. Instead Holland signed Greg F'ing Johnson and resigned Lilja. Now will we have to trade picks and/or prospects to get them? That is why the whole wait until the trade deadline stategy could turn out to be a disaster.

We've been through this before.