• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alienanxiety

Ban the "rental player"

Rate this topic

Guest ZetterBurger40

I'm not sure how any of what you are saying even makes sense. Firstly, Bondra didn't sign with Ottawa, he was traded their by Washington. Ottawa was trying to make their team better for the playoffs. Players do not trade themselves at the deadline to other teams, their teams' GMs trade them. Sometimes the players are consulted, etc., sometimes they are not.

More importantly, this type of transaction couldn't be further from having anything to do with money (from the player's perspective). Bondra did not earn a single penny more with Ottawa than he would have earned if he stayed with Washington.

Thank you. I gave up and didn't feel like typing that.

From the London Free Press:

THE RANT

Does Peter Forsberg really deserve a Stanley Cup ring this year? Does Todd Bertuzzi? Or Keith Tkachuk?

They've accomplished nothing for their own teams, aside from getting a couple of coaches fired, but now, thanks to the NHL's Rent-A-Player system, they are perfectly situated to win a championship.

Deadline deals will always be a part of hockey, and it's incumbent on any GM to bolster his team for the playoffs, but

I lose a lot of respect for the $5 million veteran who "wants to go to a contender." The reason his team paid him $5 million in the first place was to make them a contender.

Tkachuk hasn't won anything since ... ever. Would going to Anaheim for a cup of coffee suddenly make him a winner?

No. Just like going to Carolina last year doesn't make Doug Weight a winner. His ring has an asterisk on it, and if Forsberg, Tkachuk or Bertuzzi get a ring this year, theirs' will, too.

We hit a hot button here.

If I'm GM of a crappy team that I know is going to take a few years to rebuild I'd sign about 3 good players as UFA to one year deals. Then ship them all out at the deadline. That would be building for the future on steroids. You'd get twice the picks. Some for your team sucking and then some for trading away your one year players.

Edited by BigTex

I totally agree with the above London Free Press rant. Weight and Bourque's Cups comes with asterisks beside them. I felt the same way when I read a story the other day that Scotty Pippen would like to come out of retirement but just for the playoffs. Screw that. You have to earn the right to be in the playoffs.

And the other poster brings up a good point. Teams that know they are going to be rebuilding can just sign a UFA or two with the full intention of carrying that player all season and then turn them into draft picks and prospects at the deadline. That is not sports. Teams should sign players to help them win, not to use them as commodities, with no intention of winning that season at all.

I can see how the idea of another year being tacked onto his contract is against his right to free agency, maybe in that circumstance then every player has a no trade clause, in terms of being dealt at the deadline, then they can decide to either stay where they are, go to the new team with a negotiable or arbitration decided one year extension, or he can go to the new team and be a RFA for the following season. That covers the greedy player .. now for the greedy owner side ... the team that deals a player after Jan 1st cannot re-sign that player for a full season, similar to the buying out of a contract rule. This way the league can prevent teams and players from taking advantage of this system.

I mean, would you really want a guy on your team coming from some last place club, and reaping the playoff rewards that you and your team mates fought so hard for all year, and conversely, wouldn't you feel like a retard as a player from a last place club and being handed a contending new team for the playoffs. i have always hated the whole, "i'd like to go to a contender, to try to win a cup." f*** you - earn it. the worst example of this was ray bourque leaving boston to coast to an easy cup with colorado. did he feel proud of that cup when he held it high? did he feel he earned it? i don't think he did. they would have one that cup with or without him, he was just a tourist.

i agree with the ray bourque comment. they even retired his number in colorado!! retarded.

Guest ZetterBurger40

I totally agree with the above London Free Press rant. Weight and Bourque's Cups comes with asterisks beside them. I felt the same way when I read a story the other day that Scotty Pippen would like to come out of retirement but just for the playoffs. Screw that. You have to earn the right to be in the playoffs.

You don't think that Ray Bourque and Doug Weight earned the right to play in the playoffs? What if it were Steve Yzerman stuck on a garbage team his ENTIRE career? Being in the playoffs have nothing to do with Weight/Bourque's abilities/heart as players, but the situation that they were stuck in.

Edited by ZetterBurger40

To me the whole idea of padding your team by taking advantage of other teams lack of playoff hopes almost comes across as cheating a bit. To me, a true team plays through the ups and downs of a season together, earns the playoff rights together, and goes for a championship together. I have no problem with playersbeing acquired at the deadline, aslong as the intent is that this player will actually be a member of the team, and not just a hired gun. My feelings on this have become stronger since Doug Weight basically admitted that he was only on Carolina to win a Cup, and then he was going back to St. Louis. If I was a Hurricane, I wouldn't want him in my locker room, I'd see him as a St. Louis Blue on vacation.

My suggestion is this, and I know for various reasons it will never fly, but i think it would lend some credibility to trade dealines... keep the trade deadline where it is, hell move it back into March if you want, but any player acquired after Jan 1st who is set to become a UFA automatically gets his contract extended another year, or he at least becomes an RFA.

Very interesting thread. :thumbup:

I agree, the whole Weight situation wasn’t too good IMO. Seeing as though he had no intention of staying after the playoffs, it makes you wonder…

Bourque won the cup the second year in Colorado, not the year he was traded from Boston.. so.. well, he's not a great example.

Move back the trade deadline a few weeks and expose the teams who don't feel like competing. You can still have deadline deals, but it'll take more balls to move players when you're still in the chase.

To me the whole idea of padding your team by taking advantage of other teams lack of playoff hopes almost comes across as cheating a bit. To me, a true team plays through the ups and downs of a season together, earns the playoff rights together, and goes for a championship together. I have no problem with playersbeing acquired at the deadline, aslong as the intent is that this player will actually be a member of the team, and not just a hired gun. My feelings on this have become stronger since Doug Weight basically admitted that he was only on Carolina to win a Cup, and then he was going back to St. Louis. If I was a Hurricane, I wouldn't want him in my locker room, I'd see him as a St. Louis Blue on vacation.

My suggestion is this, and I know for various reasons it will never fly, but i think it would lend some credibility to trade dealines... keep the trade deadline where it is, hell move it back into March if you want, but any player acquired after Jan 1st who is set to become a UFA automatically gets his contract extended another year, or he at least becomes an RFA.

Hockey is entertainment, isn't that something the NHL should encourage? And it's a way to "even up" the teams by having bad teams get something for their best players before they lose them? And Nashville gave up a lot for a a dubious benefit. They bring in a great player for the rest of the year who isn't meshed with the rest of the team. Philadelphia, who sucks, gets a chance to improve their team. The attention shows fans are interested.

I'm not seeing the loser here.

But...But... But...

If we banned the rental player... how on earth would we ever see another stanley cup here? <-- playing off of the general ideal around these boards that our current roster of misfits couldn't at all get us a cup... unless we added a said single player or two at the deadline.

Not to mention these threads would be baron without the obsessive need to crave/covet the next shiny new player who is way out of reach but just might come to our team...if the offer was right!

Down with the idea to ban the rental player... that is how we work!

Edited by OsGOD

If you banned the rental player you're screwing over everyone. Lower tier teams need to sell players to obtain draft picks and prospects that will help them build for the future while contenders buy to get players that will put them over the top but lose some future. It helps balance the league and I cant see why anyone would have a problem with it.

Guest ZetterBurger40

I say ban the NHL Entry Draft! It gives bad teams the chance to get good players! Only good teams should have good players! BYAAA!!!!

Guest LivingtheDream

The idea about not letting the "rental player" sign with the team that dealt him for one year seems reasonable, but how often does this really happen? Hey, if Peter wants to go back to Philly next year, fine. The thing about this is everyone knows the deal and in deal making there is always an advantage to both sides. Simple economics at the heart of it all - what can I give and what do I get.

I don't mind the rental system. At least the teams trading their top player get a good return nowadays, as opposed to before the lockout when teams had to sell out for pure financial reasons. I like the fact that these rentals create buzz and speculation around the league.

The trade deadline should be January 10. It is annoying to see the entire complexion of a team change right before the playoffs. It destroys the team aspect of hockey. Making arbitrary rules about what specific players can, or cannot do, after a "rental" trade would create a lot more rules than just moving the deadline back.