• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zetterbergfan

Lapointe just beat down Hollweg

Rate this topic

What's Marty's contract situation?

and secondly, is there a good website for finding out player's current contract info?

www.thn.com has the current player salaries on their site.

Marty is making 2.4million this year and has another year left for 2.4

Edited by elriqo28

What's Marty's contract situation?

and secondly, is there a good website for finding out player's current contract info?

I know www.nhlpa.com gives the salaries, and tsn.ca shows team payroll pages.

Guest Crymson

Watching Marty fight just now brought back memories. This is the guy I would like to see the Wings get. We need grit and someone who can still score. And someone who isn't old. That narrows it down quite a bit.

This surely brought back memories of a guy who could score, fight and hit at a reasonable price. Now, you're looking at a guy who can't score and is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league for a slightly higher price than we paid 6 years ago.

$2.5m? No thanks.

This surely brought back memories of a guy who could score, fight and hit at a reasonable price. Now, you're looking at a guy who can't score and is one of the worst defensive forwards in the league for a slightly higher price than we paid 6 years ago.

$2.5m? No thanks.

I think of it this way..... We're going to get rid of Maltby's contract at the end of this year. Marty atleast can still score 10-15 goals, play physical, and get into fights.

Lapointe would be a great fit, plus I don't think it would cost much in a trade to get him here.

Edit: Since we won't have to drain the farm system to get him, I think it's a good $2.5 Million spent.

Edited by Barrie

Guest Crymson

I think of it this way..... We're going to get rid of Maltby's contract at the end of this year. Marty atleast can still score 10-15 goals, play physical, and get into fights.

Lapointe would be a great fit, plus I don't think it would cost much in a trade to get him here.

Edit: Since we won't have to drain the farm system to get him, I think it's a good $2.5 Million spent.

We WILL have to give up farm prospects to get him--that's what makes him not worth it.

Marty will not score 15 goals next season, and even if he would, he is not worth $2.5m. The fact that we will be freeing up some cap space via Maltby and others is no permit to go and spend it on players who are not worth it. That's the equivalent of saying: "woohoo---I'll be getting a big income tax return! I wouldn't have this money otherwise, so I'm going to go blow it in Vegas!" Bad idea.

EDIT: Want fights, hits and penalty minutes (another specialty of Marty's)? We can get it for cheap from Norton or Bootland, and we already have them under rights.

Edited by Crymson

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/playerStats?categoryId=66342

I don't know, looking again at his career stats and what he brings to the table, I say he's worth it. I'm not saying that for centimental reasons, I'm saying that for what he brings to a team. Plus we'll be rid of Maltby's, Schneider's, Lang's, and Datsyuk's (maybe) contracts. The $2.4 Million won't put any strain on our team payroll next year.

He's got size, grit, can score, fight, and has playoff experience. Out of everyone available, I think he'd be the best fit. Plus he's only 33.

Edit: I say, bring him back!!

Edited by Barrie

Guest Crymson

I don't know, looking again at his career stats and what he brings to the tape, I say he's worth it. I'm not saying that for centimental reasons, I'm saying that for what he brings to a team. Plus we'll be rid of Maltby's, Schneider's, Lang's, and Datsyuk's (maybe) contracts. The $2.4 Million won't put any strain on our team payroll next year.

He's got size, grit, can score, fight, and has playoff experience. Out of everyone available, I think he'd be the best fit. Plus he's only 33.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: just because possible let-gos of current players will free up abundant space is no reason to overpay for a crappy player. Plus, we'll be stuck with that crap player for the next year, rather than being free to sign someone better.

Lapointe has size, yes-- and he'll fight. However, he doesn't hit nearly as much now as he used to, he doesn't score much--what scoring he does do is because he's on a team where hardly anyone scores at all--and he's a HIDEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! defensive forward. His plus/minus is the worst on the team, and that's saying a lot for a team like the Blackhawks. Hell, looking at the guy's stats you've provided, he even managed to work a -16 on the '96-'97 team. Sheesh. That equals LOTS of costly mistakes in the offensive zone. The guy just isn't smart.

Were it only for the postseason, I'd say maybe--as is, with one more year on his contract, no.

Are you forgetting that we'd have to give up prospects or players in order to get him?

In any case, tell me what he brings--besides a BIT of scoring--that Norton or Bootland don't? Considering that we'd have to give up nobody in order to bring them up, I don't see how Marty is worth it..

Edited by Crymson

I don't know, looking again at his career stats and what he brings to the tape, I say he's worth it. I'm not saying that for centimental reasons, I'm saying that for what he brings to a team. Plus we'll be rid of Maltby's, Schneider's, Lang's, and Datsyuk's (maybe) contracts. The $2.4 Million won't put any strain on our team payroll next year.

Geez, you act like Schneider, Lang, and Datsyuk are some big drag on the team that don't provide anything but take up salary cap space anyway. That's a HUGE chunk of our scoring! Don't you think those contracts will be replaced with something? Lapointe is the worst +/- guy on a very bad +/- team. Just cause he fights occasionally and throws his body around, you'd be willing to drop $2.4 million? He's not a scorer. That's not a reasonable price for a player of Lapointe's caliber.

Guest Crymson

Norton and Bootland can't cut in in the NHL. There's a reason why they are in Grand Rapids.

... yet they can do the same things that Marty can. True, Bootland can't skate. However, Norton can skate as well as Lapointe, which is to say slowly and badly.

My point: if you want to get someone to hit, intimidate and fight, get Norton if your only other choice is $2.4m for Lapointe.

Edited by Crymson

I don't know, looking again at his career stats and what he brings to the table, I say he's worth it. I'm not saying that for centimental reasons, I'm saying that for what he brings to a team. Plus we'll be rid of Maltby's, Schneider's, Lang's, and Datsyuk's (maybe) contracts. The $2.4 Million won't put any strain on our team payroll next year.

Edit: I say, bring him back!!

I agree. I never wanted to see him leave. I think he'd be a great addition.

Compared to Norton, Lapointe can chip in with some goals, and would help out the PP. Plus If we're looking for playoff experience, he has it. Lapointe's far and away more valuable than Norton.

Also, look at who's available..... I think Lapointe would be better than Nolan, Tkachuk, Guerin, or Roberts. He's younger than all of them, tougher, and won more cups than the 3 of them combined. I was a big Lapointe fan when he was here, but I'm not speaking with my heart, the guy pretty much has what we need.

I understand he makes $2.4 Million, but I don't see how that's a big deal. It's only one year, we'll either let him go or resign him for less after 2007-08.

It's Holland's call, but I would really be disapointed if Nolan or Roberts was the player we brought in at the deadline.

Guest Crymson

Compared to Norton, Lapointe can chip in with some goals, and would help out the PP. Plus If we're looking for playoff experience, he has it. Lapointe's far and away more valuable than Norton.

Also, look at who's available..... I think Lapointe would be better than Nolan, Tkachuk, Guerin, or Roberts. He's younger than all of them, tougher, and won more cups than the 3 of them combined. I was a big Lapointe fan when he was here, but I'm not speaking with my heart, the guy pretty much has what we need.

I understand he makes $2.4 Million, but I don't see how that's a big deal. It's only one year, we'll either let him go or resign him for less after 2007-08.

It's Holland's call, but I would really be disapointed if Nolan or Roberts was the player we brought in at the deadline.

I believe we've been over this. Lapointe is HIIIIDDDDEEEEOOUUUSSS defensively, and makes costly offensive-zone mistakes up the wazoo. Not good. Last in +/- on one of the worst teams in the league? No, he causes more goals against than he scores.

Norton and Bootland can't cut in in the NHL. There's a reason why they are in Grand Rapids.

I'm not convinced Lapointe would be in the NHL right now if he didn't play for such a bad team. Help on the power play? No, he'd play the same role Maltby is now, only not well enough to justify the contract obligation.

I believe we've been over this. Lapointe is HIIIIDDDDEEEEOOUUUSSS defensively, and makes costly offensive-zone mistakes up the wazoo. Not good. Last in +/- on one of the worst teams in the league? No, he causes more goals against than he scores.

Seems like no one is listening to your Crymson

Lapointe? Pass. He's horribly overrated by lots of people on these boards. He's had one year (2000-01) that lived up to his expectations, got that monster contract from Boston, and hasn't done much since. He's pretty much a fourth-line guy, maybe third line. He may throw the body and the fists around some, but it's not worth the money and defensive liability.