• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

which team is better... this years or last?

Rate this topic

I must say, I have been pleasently suprised with this team this year. I did not think that we would be first in the west ever, but we are. That being said, I feel that offensively, this team is much worse than last year. We have one line that scores, and it is the bet line in hockey with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Holmstrom. This worries me because this line could easily get shut down in the playoffs, mainly due to lack of size. Defensively, I feel that we are better than last year. Lilja is no longer in the rotation, so that makes me happy. I think Markov is doing a great job also. Goaltending is much better, as long as Dom stays healthy (knock on wood!!!!)

I think that we definitely need to make at least one trade, maybe two, before the deadline. Something like Kindl+williams+first for bertuzzi sounds good to me. Bertuzzi has the chance of resigning with Detroit too. Maybe Hudler and 2nd for sturm? What do u guys think? Is this years team better than last years?

We've got to hang on to our prospects, I'm not big on selling the farm for ONE playoof push when we could have many more a couple years later.

"Detroit doesn't rebuild; they reload." -Naslund That just wont be true if we get rid of Hudler, Filppula, Datsyuk like many of you want...

Edited by Earthhuman

I dont think that the team is better this year. Even if/when we acquire some players at the deadline, I dont think it even coems close to last years team.

Edited by Salviaman

Last years team was better on paper, this years team is better built for the playoffs even as it is. Much better defense, much better goaltending. Defense wins championships.

i've always felt that was a misrepresented phraze for hockey. In other sports you can say Defence wins championships and it does,...but more specificly to hockey Goaltending wins championships.

93 Canadians

95(and 00, 03) devils

02 wings

04 lightning

06 canes

all teams that yes had fantastic Defence but wouldn't have made it to lord stanley without there teams respective goalie standing on his head.

Edited by theman19

This years team is faster, younger, and a bit more tougher. They'll be really tough within a week. ;) With the acquistion of Markov, and Kronwall finally being able to play this season I like the defense much more, and having Dom and Ozzie makes the goaltending much better than last years for the postseason. Overall last years was better in the season, but I think this team can go much further into the playoffs especially since they've faced adversity throughout the season which definitely helps because they know how to react to that now.

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

i will say this, last year we had two lines, granted neither one of them was as dominate as the euro triplets line, but we did have two of them. Furthermore our powerplay was leathal all year including the post season,.....only problem was they magically put up the whistles for the post season,..hmmmm

i will say this, last year we had two lines, granted neither one of them was as dominate as the euro triplets line, but we did have two of them. Furthermore our powerplay was leathal all year including the post season,.....only problem was they magically put up the whistles for the post season,..hmmmm

1. Our PP wasnt lethal in the post season

2. Our second line has a better chance of being fixed than did our defense last year. More cap space, more options to fix that second line.

Guest Crymson

Last years team was better on paper, this years team is better built for the playoffs even as it is. Much better defense, much better goaltending. Defense wins championships.

:thumbup:

You cant really answer this question right now because of one man, Hasek. With this guy's questionable health even now you cant just assume he'll be in net in 2 months. If he is in net, i'd say theyre better than last year. However, at this point i see their playoff chances being less than last year because the competion is alot better. Anaheim is totally built for the playoffs and will be the clear cut favorite imo, Calgary is better, Nashville is much improved, and San Jose will also present a major problem. Vancouver and Dallas i view as the definite 1 and done teams and arent threats.

I don't really think that this question is even answerable at this point of the season, they're still in February for god's sake!!!!!!

For all we know they will win the west and lay an egg in the first round, lets just wait and see before we become critics because Im done thinking that getting through the 1st round will be a cakewalk, not after how traumatized Ive been the past 3 years of getting s*** canned by the teams that squeak in the west.