• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

5 Reason's Datsyuk Will NOT Be Traded

Rate this topic

Put Zetterberg with any other line, and he is a 20-goal scorer. Put him with these two, and he is 50-goal scorer.

This is completely false, last season Z played the majority of it with Holmstrom and Samuelsson. Datsyuk and Z played together last year, but Hank can play with anyone and produce.

This is the difference between the two, Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. Z produces with whoever is on his line, Datsyuk MUST have another great player there for him to be successful. Case in point all of the "Which winger do we get for Datsyuk??" threads.

Edited by Heaton

We can all dream. :zzz:

But, since people are having a problem comprehending the 5th reason, let me ellaborate.

Who would you want setting up a play in the offensive zone with one minute left, etc...?

Yes Nick has the shot, yes Z has a better shot than Pavel (debatable since Pavel does have a wicked wrist shot) but Pavel's passing skills and vision on the ice are unquestioned.

That's not why I picked Lids first. I picked him because (as you stated) the Wings net was empty. Lids is the most responsible player on the Wings roster, and I want him setting up the play to Z or Dats, not the other way around.\

It has nothing to do with Lids' shot.

That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

And yet other way around it somehow makes sense and not at all ridiculous? Besides Datsyuk not scoring in playoffs is just stats as well.

Pasha will stay. Why, you ask? Because he WANTS to stay. When he signed with Omsk a couple years ago, you could tell he was not happy about it. HIs heart wasn't in it. But the minute he got back to us, you could see a marked change in him...even the look in his eyes was totally different. He was happy, he knew he was where he wanted to be. This time it will be the same...he will stay...I'd bet on it.

Resigning Pavel makes the most sense assuming its not much more $5 million per year. No reason to trade him now that he and Z are so hot. However, he is not worth blowing up our cap. If he demands $7 million I say we spend our money elsewhere.

Resigning Pavel makes the most sense assuming its not much more $5 million per year. No reason to trade him now that he and Z are so hot. However, he is not worth blowing up our cap. If he demands $7 million I say we spend our money elsewhere.

Exactly. I am very willing to give Dats between $4.25 and $5 million (depending on his playoff run). But $7 won't work with Lids pulling in $7.8. And there is no question that Lids deserves every dime of his contract.

This is completely false, last season Z played the majority of it with Holmstrom and Samuelsson. Datsyuk and Z played together last year, but Hank can play with anyone and produce.

This is the difference between the two, Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. Z produces with whoever is on his line, Datsyuk MUST have another great player there for him to be successful. Case in point all of the "Which winger do we get for Datsyuk??" threads.

After the line was reunited in December (Dec.20), Zetterberg's scoring went from 0.59 pts per game to 1.61 PPG. Datsyuk's scoring went from 0.75 to 1.4 PPG. Holmstrom's from 0.38 to 1.04 PPG. You tell me who benefited the most?

Zetterberg is getting more than 1 PPG more when playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom, than without them. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Zetterberg scored 6 of his 12 pre-Dec. 20 goals when on PP with ... Dats and Homer. When I'll have time, I'll do the same analysis of Zetterberg's last year scoring, and I won't be surprised if a similar picture emerges.

EDIT-typos.

Edited by sibiriak

After the line was reunited in December (Dec.20), Zetterberg's scoring went from 0.59 pts per game to 1.61 PPG. Datsyuk's scoring went from 0.75 to 1.4 PPG. Holmstrom's from 0.38 to 1.04 PPG. You tell me who benefited the most?

Zetterberg is getting more than 1 PPG more when playing with Datsyuk and Holmstrom, than without them. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that Zetterberg scored 6 of his 12 pre-Dec. 20 goals when on PP with ... Dats and Homer. When I'll have time, I'll do the same analysis of Zetterberg's last year scoring, and I won't be surprised if a similar picture emerges.

EDIT-typos.

If you want to get technical Z's scoring has gone up 273% while Holmstrom's has gone up 274%. :P Just thought I'd point that out.

You know whats really funny though? That we have to argue about two players that are both playing great hockey right now.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

Not Datsyuk... have you watched any playoff hockey the last 3 years??? He doesn't score in the playoffs... and until he starts, I'm not sure he's worth 5+ million a year you want to give him. I love Dats, but if I had to choose I'd take Hank 100% of the time.

Answer to question 5...... a) Ozzy b) Hasek c) Markov d) Lilja..... :ph34r:

Nice :clap: Add to that anyone that is on IR at the time. The IR has a better chance of getting on the score sheet in the playoffs than Pavel does.

Pasha will stay. Why, you ask? Because he WANTS to stay. When he signed with Omsk a couple years ago, you could tell he was not happy about it. HIs heart wasn't in it. But the minute he got back to us, you could see a marked change in him...even the look in his eyes was totally different. He was happy, he knew he was where he wanted to be. This time it will be the same...he will stay...I'd bet on it.

When he signed that contract promising to play for a team other than the Red Wings, how exactly could you tell his heart wasn't in it?? how you could you possibly tell he wasn't happy about it?

Wasn't he in Russia at the time?

He won't stay if he doesn't get the money he thinks he deserves.

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

1. He wants to say, but it ultimately comes down to money. If he thinks he's getting paid enough, he'll stay.

2. He'll offer what he thinks is a reasonable price. Datsyuk has to accept that offer.

3. Again, it's not just Holland's decision.

4. 80% of his goals?? you're going to have to back that up with some legit research. Zetterberg and Dats definitely have chemistry on a line together, but Hank will do fine without him.

5. Not Datsyuk. If we're down 2-1 in game 7, I don't want the puck on the stick of the guy who hasn't scored a playoff goal in 20+ games now.

It'd be nice to re-sign Dats for a reasonable salary. Basically though your reasons overlook the fact that the decision is mostly his.

If you want to get technical Z's scoring has gone up 273% while Holmstrom's has gone up 274%. :P Just thought I'd point that out.

You know whats really funny though? That we have to argue about two players that are both playing great hockey right now.

I quite agree. I was answering the claim that Zetterberg can score by himself, when Datsyuk needs Zetterberg to score. Which is not true, and seems perhaps to be the reverse.

I just did a rough count of the last season, when Zetterberg scored 39 goals when playing significant time without Datsyuk and Holmstrom.

Of that 39 goals, do you know how many did he score when neither #13 or #96 was on the ice?

a) 9

b) 15

c) 23

d) 31

Correct answer: a

Of his 39 goals last season, Zetterberg scored only nine without Holmstrom or Datsyuk on the ice. Hope that puts the matter in prospective for those who think that Zetts is a stud and can carry a team on his own. He is a great player, and I love to watch him, but Z with Dats and Homer are so many many times better than each of them on his own.

EDIT- my space button is stuck...

Edited by sibiriak

With regards to #5... Yeah, I'll have to echo Nick. Even moreso than Pavel's previous playoff struggles, his tendency to over-handle the puck can get him rejected at the blue line. Normally that's not really the end of the world, but with an empty net and time ticking down, it's gotta get in. Go with the most sure-handed player in the league and you can't go wrong...

I quite agree. I was answering the claim that Zetterberg can score by himself, when Datsyuk needs Zetterberg to score. Which is not true,and seems tobe the reverse.

I just did a rough count of the last season, when Zetterberg scored 39 goals when playing significant time without Datsyukand Holmstrom.

Of that 39 goals, doyou know how many did he score when neither #13or #96 was on the ice?

a) 9

b) 15

c) 23

d) 31

Correct answer: a Of his 39 goals last season, Zetterberg scored only nine without Holmstromor Datsyuk on the ice. Hope that puts the matter in the prospective for those who think that Zetts is a stud and can carry a team on his own. He is a great player, and I love to watch him, but Z with Dats and Homer are so many many times better than each of them on his own.

I think there's a large difference between saying that Zetterberg will survive without Datsyuk on his line, and saying he can carry the team on his own. you seem to be confusing the two.

Correct answer: a Of his 39 goals last season, Zetterberg scored only nine without Holmstromor Datsyuk on the ice. Hope that puts the matter in the prospective for those who think that Zetts is a stud and can carry a team on his own. He is a great player, and I love to watch him, but Z with Dats and Homer are so many many times better than each of them on his own.

No kidding, Zetterberg played on a line with Samuelsson and Holmstrom for most of last season. I'm not going to argue that they're better together, that's obvious, but the fact I'm trying to get across is that Datsyuk is only as good as his linemates while Zetterberg can be very good with whoever. Obviously not as good as with Datsyuk, but he'd still lead the team in goals.

And yet other way around it somehow makes sense and not at all ridiculous? Besides Datsyuk not scoring in playoffs is just stats as well.

That's not the point I'm arguing, but Zetterberg is a more complete player than Datsyuk so it makes sense imo. No, Datsyuk not scoring in the playoffs is a FACT proved by stats.

I think there's a large difference between saying that Zetterberg will survive without Datsyuk on his line, and saying he can carry the team on his own. you seem to be confusing the two.

QFT

My point exacty.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Of his 39 goals last season, Zetterberg scored only nine without Holmstrom or Datsyuk on the ice. Hope that puts the matter in prospective for those who think that Zetts is a stud and can carry a team on his own. He is a great player, and I love to watch him, but Z with Dats and Homer are so many many times better than each of them on his own.

...so put Zetts on a line with say, Crosby or Yzerman or Fedorov or Larionov or Adam Oates (in their prime, of course) and he will only score single digit goals? Please! Put Z on a line with ANY playmaker along with a player who takes the abuse (ie. Holmstrom, Lapointe, s***, even Ciccarelli in his day) and he still scores 40 or 50...

...you know, you can have a Turkey sandwhich without cheddar cheese. Swiss cheese taste's just as good with it and so does provolone...

No kidding, Zetterberg played on a line with Samuelsson and Holmstrom for most of last season. I'm not going to argue that they're better together, that's obvious, but the fact I'm trying to get across is that Datsyuk is only as good as his linemates while Zetterberg can be very good with whoever. Obviously not as good as with Datsyuk, but he'd still lead the team in goals.

OK, good point. Does that explain why Datsyuk was on the ice for 23 of 39 Zetts' goals, and they weren't even on the same line last season?

That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

Nobody's denying that the two play well together, people are reacting to the ridiculous argument made by the threadstarter as to why Datsyuk should be kept in Detroit.

Zetterberg could probably carry the line of Cleary and Williams. It couldn't get much worse than now, but good luck having either Datsyuk or Lang play wing. Which is another reason why Zetterberg is superior to Datsyuk, he is flexible.

Datsyuk has been playing wing ever since him and Hank were reunited, so before killing the threadstarter do your homework or watch a game. Also, Datsyuk and Hank were seperated most of last season with both their wingers (Sammy and Shanny) enjoying career years, so I'd say they both made their lines go pretty well. Finally, both Hank and Pav struggled earlier in the season (Hank even moreso) and picked it up when being reunited. I'd say they both enhance each other's game but as individual players are still outstanding. This garbage is like the Sergei vs. Stevie debate all over again.

...so put Zetts on a line with say, Crosby or Yzerman or Fedorov or Larionov or Adam Oates (in their prime, of course) and he will only score single digit goals? Please! Put Z on a line with ANY playmaker along with a player who takes the abuse (ie. Holmstrom, Lapointe, s***, even Ciccarelli in his day) and he still scores 40 or 50...

...you know, you can have a Turkey sandwhich without cheddar cheese. Swiss cheese taste's just as good with it and so does provolone...

Mmmmm.........Turkey Sandwich. Sorry, its almost lunch time here.

OK, good point. Does that explain why Datsyuk was on the ice for 23 of 39 Zetts' goals, and they weren't even on the same line last season?

Never said they weren't on the same line last season.

out of curiousity, where can you find stats as to who was on the ice when a player's goal was scored?

and honestly, I would guess that a fair chunk of those 23 could be explained by the 17 powerplay goals Z scored last year.

they weren't on the same line last season?? Maybe not regularly, but the played on the same line at times.

out of curiousity, where can you find stats as to who was on the ice when a player's goal was scored?

and honestly, I would guess that a fair chunk of those 23 could be explained by the 17 powerplay goals Z scored last year.

they weren't on the same line last season?? Maybe not regularly, but the played on the same line at times.

They were broken up early in the year and only put back together in rare situations....Draper/Dats/Shanny and Sammy/Hank/Homer were the lines for 85% of the season and all of the playoffs last season.

They were broken up early in the year and only put back together in rare situations....Draper/Dats/Shanny and Sammy/Hank/Homer were the lines for 85% of the season and all of the playoffs last season.

Right. they played on the same line at times.

Considering Hank had 17 power play goals, it's not hard to see how Dats could be on the ice for 23 of them. (i'm not saying it's not true, but i'm still curious where that number of 23 came from).