• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#21 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:38 AM

yes they have amazing chemistry on ice but if he's asking for 7 million a year and a guy like ryan smyth is asking the same amount,....i'm sorry you have to address your needs. There will be some extremely intresting free agent choices out there i'm just curious to see what we do. Personally i hope they do resign him i always enjoy watching a player who has "something to prove". Dats has heard for a few years he's a no show in the playoffs, will see what he does now that he's motivated and healthy.

#22 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:06 AM

It is my strong opinion that Datsyuk isn't going to get traded.

This is his last big shot to be one of the better producers in the playoffs.

If not, he might walk.

It will be frustrating if he or his agent continues to command a high salary if he hasn't produced, but this is a chance/risk that the Wings are going to take, for better or worse.

I'm thinking that he will fare a bit better this post-season, but I am not holding my collective breath if he doesn't get it done.

#23 Lidstromrules16

Lidstromrules16

the best thing about life is knowing you put it together- T. Rez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

ok, so we all pretty much beleive that the better we do in the playoffs, the easier the situation becomes. The question is HOW good does HE, and we as a team have to do? The person I want with the puck in ot game 7 or whatever is Dats, but I want Hank right there as well. He is creative, Zetterberg is creative. They both create poetry on ice sometimes. Dats has to be the top signing priority for the wings this offseason. Also, if Zetterberg doesnt ask for what Dats assumingly would be getting paid in 2009, then we have no problem. Who is to say Zetterberg is going to be asking for around 7 million, even though we all know he deserves it.

Edited by Lidstromrules16, 19 February 2007 - 06:10 AM.

#24 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ February 18, 2007 - 11:19PM) View Post

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

1. Which explains signing with Omsk in '05... Many people want to stay Wings. They can't all stay.

2. Then pay $5M. Anything beyond that is certainly not reasonable at this point. Remember that there are guys like McCabe, Jovanovski, Yashin, Theodore, etc... making STUPID amounts of money that they don't even come close to deserving.

3, The hot streak has far more to do with Zetterberg than Datsyuk.

4. You'd be wrong. Pavel has the primary assist on 7 of Z's 30 goals. A hefty chunk of Z's goals Pavel wasn't involved in the scoring at all.

5. Not Pavel. Why you ask? Because the other team KNOWS he's not a threat to shoot/score. Way too unselfish/passive for that sort of situation.

He won't be traded, but those aren't the reasons why.

It's way too tricky to replace his impact at this point. He's a pending UFA with a huge asking price with a shady playoff history. Right now is probably the worst time possible to trade him (2 years ago, or even this past summer would have been far better times). No team that might have interest will give up a guy that can step into the top line right now. It would be futures and they don't help in a cup run.

QUOTE(Crymson @ February 19, 2007 - 12:28AM) View Post

How is <$4m for ~1PPG "screwed"?

When you compare it to his buddy's contract. He hadn't yet accomplished anything to warrant becoming the Wings' highest paid forward. He still hasn't. Z was a better all-around player then, and he still is now. Yes, Z is ridiculously underpaid, but Datsyuk is looking to more than double it. Kenny panicked and handed out $1M too much for the worst possible term (2 years leading directly to UFA). Now rather than bending the Wings over a barrel negotiating against Russian teams it will be the rest of the NHL...

Posted Image

#25 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

He will stay - Holland will overpay(shakes head sadly). He needs to prove himself in the playoffs. I love watching hockey in the reg season - but then the playoffs come and am sorely disappointed by him.
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

#26 Bob_Essensa

Bob_Essensa

Sudburian Grit!!

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

Datsyuk has never really impressed me all that much.I think he's pretty overrated actually.He shows flashes of extreme brilliance at times, but he's not very consistant overall, and seems unsure of himself at times.He's definitly not worth 5mill plus a season as it stands now IMO.Let's hope he shows up in the playoffs this year.Maybe then i'll be happier with him.

#27 RedRum #1

RedRum #1

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:53 AM

When you compare it to his buddy's contract. He hadn't yet accomplished anything to warrant becoming the Wings' highest paid forward. He still hasn't. Z was a better all-around player then, and he still is now. Yes, Z is ridiculously underpaid, but Datsyuk is looking to more than double it. Kenny panicked and handed out $1M too much for the worst possible term (2 years leading directly to UFA). Now rather than bending the Wings over a barrel negotiating against Russian teams it will be the rest of the NHL...
Before Datsyuk re-signed that summer he was Detroit's best forward and unquestionably the team's #1 center. Zetterberg was a better defensive player, but Datsyuk was THE GUY...guys like Lewis, Holland and Wings players referred to him as such. Holland did the right thing in giving a 26 year old emerging star that money. Your beef with Pav seems to be more with the negotiation tactics than his actual play thses past two years. Datsyuk surely made Holland look like a smart man last season...he was on pace for 90-100 points before hurting his thigh and went back and forth with Zetterberg as the team's best forward all year.

#28 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ February 19, 2007 - 12:19AM) View Post

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

I agree on all of them except 5.

Datsyuk has been a recent no-show in the playoffs, so giving him the puck in game seven of the finals might not be the best idea. If, for some ungodly reason, the NHL went to a shootout in the playoffs, I'd want Datsyuk taking the shot 99/100 times. His stickhandling is ridiculous.

And I completely agree that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. Their chemistry is some of the best in the league, and since I don't think this is even the prime of their careers, breaking them up would be grounds for "Moron of the Year" award.

stevienewjo4.gif

#29 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:05 AM

Datsyuk is not likely to be traded, but I agree with NN, the points listed by the threadstarter couldn't be further from the truth. I think Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than the other way around. The last argument is downright laughable. Few others have displayed their inability to score in the playoffs like Datsyuk.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#30 brutus

brutus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(ZetterBurger40 @ February 19, 2007 - 02:20AM) View Post

But if Lidstrom were to play 20+ seasons, he wouldn't be playing at the level that he has/is now- see Chelios. He will fade, and will not be getting max, or near it IF this were to happen. I don't think it will though, you know he wants to go back to Sweden/his kids to go to school there- I think the end of Nick in Detroit will come sooner than later.

Lidstrom is NOT taking his kids back to Sweden. He has said in the past that his family is too Americanized now to return to Sweden. He took them back for the summer a few years ago before his last contract and the kids hated it there...that is why he signed the newest long term deal. If things had gone well with the kids he wasnt going to re-sign. I have no doubt that he and his wife will return to Sweden after the kids are grown but for now they are all staying put right here, so that gives him plenty of time for many more years with Detroit.

brutus

Edited by brutus, 19 February 2007 - 09:28 AM.

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public --T. Roosevelt

#31 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 19, 2007 - 08:05AM) View Post

Datsyuk is not likely to be traded, but I agree with NN, the points listed by the threadstarter couldn't be further from the truth. I think Datsyuk needs Zetterberg more than the other way around. The last argument is downright laughable. Few others have displayed their inability to score in the playoffs like Datsyuk.

Zetterberg does look like the more complete player of the two, but, interestingly enough, after the line was reunited on Dec.20, Zetterberg's stats improved far more than Datsyuk's, compared to both last year and the first half of this one.
It could be that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk more than Datsyuk needs Zetterberg. Or maybe they both just can't live without Homer... smile.gif

#32 gowingsgo

gowingsgo

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:37 AM

Ask yourself this question, if we can only afford one or the other, do you want Hank or Pavel?

I would take Hank and not give it a second thought.
NHL Playoffs = Mule Season. Lets Go Wings

#33 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ February 18, 2007 - 11:19PM) View Post

While I have a problem with more than one of your five reasons, my biggest beef is with number 4. While Dats has helped Z, its Zetterberg that is tearing up the league right now. They same could be said about Datsyuk's goals recently (I.E. The first goal against Dallas on 2/14).

To answer number 5, it would be Lidstrom first, then Zetterberg, and then Datsyuk.

While Dats is great, Z is the more complete, all-around better player. Simple as that.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#34 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(gowingsgo @ February 19, 2007 - 08:37AM) View Post

Ask yourself this question, if we can only afford one or the other, do you want Hank or Pavel?

I would take Hank and not give it a second thought.

But that would be the Zetterberg of the first three months of the season. By himself, he wasn't anywhere near the dominating player he is now. There are about 30 other forwards in the NHL, that I would take over the Oct.5 -Dec.20 , 2007 Zetterberg. But very few that I would take over the Dec.20-present Zetterberg. That would be the Zettreberg+Datsyuk+Holmstrom effect. Without the others, each of them is half (or less, statistically) of the player he is when they are together.

#35 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 19, 2007 - 06:45AM) View Post

While I have a problem with more than one of your five reasons, my biggest beef is with number 4. While Dats has helped Z, its Zetterberg that is tearing up the league right now. They same could be said about Datsyuk's goals recently (I.E. The first goal against Dallas on 2/14).

To answer number 5, it would be Lidstrom first, then Zetterberg, and then Datsyuk.

While Dats is great, Z is the more complete, all-around better player. Simple as that.

clap.gif clap.gif
IPB Image

#36 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:16 AM

It's laughable that any succsess Dats has is attributed to Z around here. Yet Z doesn't owe Dats so much as a thanks. That's just silly. Personally I'd like to see them both remain with the Wings. But the Z man crushes vs. the less than favorable Dats posts are a bit silly also. Eh, said it before, I'm going to let Dat's play do the talking, seems to be doing alright and I'm sure it'll continue into the post season as well. Just one question, if Z's so God-like on skates, then why not put him with Cleary and Williams, and Lang with Dats and Homer? Then you got two lines, since Z can carry one by himself, and Dats has Lang and Homer to work with, since he needs other players help so desprately?

#37 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(sibiriak @ February 19, 2007 - 09:29AM) View Post

Zetterberg does look like the more complete player of the two, but, interestingly enough, after the line was reunited on Dec.20, Zetterberg's stats improved far more than Datsyuk's, compared to both last year and the first half of this one.
It could be that Zetterberg needs Datsyuk more than Datsyuk needs Zetterberg. Or maybe they both just can't live without Homer... smile.gif
That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

QUOTE(bringback91 @ February 19, 2007 - 10:16AM) View Post

It's laughable that any succsess Dats has is attributed to Z around here. Yet Z doesn't owe Dats so much as a thanks. That's just silly. Personally I'd like to see them both remain with the Wings. But the Z man crushes vs. the less than favorable Dats posts are a bit silly also. Eh, said it before, I'm going to let Dat's play do the talking, seems to be doing alright and I'm sure it'll continue into the post season as well. Just one question, if Z's so God-like on skates, then why not put him with Cleary and Williams, and Lang with Dats and Homer? Then you got two lines, since Z can carry one by himself, and Dats has Lang and Homer to work with, since he needs other players help so desprately?
Nobody's denying that the two play well together, people are reacting to the ridiculous argument made by the threadstarter as to why Datsyuk should be kept in Detroit.

Zetterberg could probably carry the line of Cleary and Williams. It couldn't get much worse than now, but good luck having either Datsyuk or Lang play wing. Which is another reason why Zetterberg is superior to Datsyuk, he is flexible.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#38 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(bringback91 @ February 19, 2007 - 09:16AM) View Post

Because no one in their right mind would break up a line that is clicking so well right now. Yes, Dats is playing well and deserves a lot of credit. So does Homer.....but Z is playing at a whole different level right now. It's pretty hard to deny that.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#39 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 19, 2007 - 10:18AM) View Post

That's just stats though. There could be a million reasons behind Zetterberg's slow start and current success. There's absolutely nothing to suggest Zetterberg's current success is linked specifically to Datsyuk. I've seen him dominate like this before. Just look at the playoffs, where the two were separated. Zetterberg scored 6 goals, while Datsyuk continued his no show tradition. To suggest Zetterberg needs Datsyuk is ridiculous.

Actually I think Dats assisted on 2 or 3 of Z's goals, the big one being when Dats took the puck along the boards and worked through 2 defenders to send the puck to Z in the slot for an easy goal. Two of Z's other goals were rebound tap-in's. Right place at the right time for sure, but no Crosbyesque magic there. Anyway all that's (last years playoffs) been bashed into oblivion a million times. But to suggest that Z needs no one, is even more ridiculous. Besides the fact I'm sure Z doesn't share your opinion.

#40 arin

arin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

I'm really hoping Dats will step-up this year in the playoffs. He really didnt do that bad last playoffs - he tied Lidstrom with points, but some people seem to forget that he was injured the last 3-4 games of the regular season and Game 1 of the playoffs... So, he wasnt in top shape and the whole team played like crap. I think if we get a good 2 rounds in and Dats doesnt show up - ship em out.