135 replies to this topic

#121 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE(bringback91 @ February 20, 2007 - 01:29PM) View Post

That's fine I guess, I just don't get the whole "regular season means nothing" arguement. It's just as important. Eh, only 20 games left then all these posts and everything else can take a backseat and let the hockey being played do the talking.
The same could be said for over half the roster. Point was he contributed, even if it was only one gwg while playing on the fourth line.

/sigh

I never said the regular season was meaningless in terms of contributions. The point was that no one ever questioned his regular season ability. If Datsyuk would've just been mediocre in the playoffs from the time he became the player who he is right now, no one would be concerned.
Moral victories are for losers.

#122 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Heaton @ February 20, 2007 - 01:39PM) View Post

/sigh

I never said the regular season was meaningless in terms of contributions. The point was that no one ever questioned his regular season ability. If Datsyuk would've just been mediocre in the playoffs from the time he became the player who he is right now, no one would be concerned.

no need to get out of breath. tongue.gif

Somehow I doubt that no one would be concerned. Eh, like i said, I'm content to let the hockey do the talking this year.

edit....mistake

Edited by bringback91, 20 February 2007 - 01:42 PM.

#123 Cruiser008

Cruiser008

Headed to the Rafters

• Silver Booster
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE(Wings_Dynasty @ February 19, 2007 - 12:19AM) View Post

Here's 5 reasons Datsyuk will not be traded and will be resigned. Some are flimsy and some are concrete, but you will have to be the judge.

1. He wants to stay. Players taking less than their initial offer isn't unthinkable, though it is rare. He says he wants to retire a Wing and I believe him.

2. Holland isn't a moron. He will pay him what he thinks is a reasonable price. A player of Pavel's caliber radiates 5+ million a year and every GM in the league knows it, including Holland.

3. Holland isn't a moron. He knows after this current hot streak that the line is unstoppable when it's hot. To gamble on breaking it up is unthinkable.

4. Zetterberg needs Datsyuk. I say on over 80% of Z's goals, Datsyuk is the main assist. He wouldn't have half the goals or even half the scoring chances without Dats feeding him the puck.

5. Of all the players on the Wings roster, who would you want to have the puck with 1:00 left on the clock down 2-1 in game seven of the finals with the goalie pulled?

1. NO he wants the $$$

2. Holland IS a moron.... hence the likelihood that Datsyuk will resign

3. Many scoring lines are unstoppable when they are hot. I want a scoring line that is DEPENDABLE.

4. Again NO. Zetterberg is the more complete player.

5. In a 6 on 5 situation with the goalie pulled you crash the crease and get as many shots on net as possible because there is no space to create. Thus I want puck in Lidstrom's stick because no one else is better at getting a shot through traffic.

#124 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE(Cruiser008 @ February 20, 2007 - 01:59PM) View Post

1. NO he wants the $$$

2. Holland IS a moron.... hence the likelihood that Datsyuk will resign

3. Many scoring lines are unstoppable when they are hot. I want a scoring line that is DEPENDABLE.

4. Again NO. Zetterberg is the more complete player.

5. In a 6 on 5 situation with the goalie pulled you crash the crease and get as many shots on net as possible because there is no space to create. Thus I want puck in Lidstrom's stick because no one else is better at getting a shot through traffic.

Typical Don Cherry brainwashed Canadian, thinking the only solution is to elimate all Russian's and replace with Canadian players to have success in the playoffs. All brought on by the personal grudge Cherry has for European players. Boy did I get a kick out of Ilya calling out Crosby, not so much the act itself by more importantly how much it pissed off Big Don.

Yes Pavel must produce in these playoffs but to count the guy out now and say we need to trade fast would be foolish. You trade Datsyuk and the entire chemistry will get thrown off. Trading Dats and bring in BertuzzE is not the answer eh.

www.datsyuk13.com ^thanks Offsides^
[press] "When you have the puck, how many people do you see?"
Without smiling, Datsyuk answered, "18,000"

#125 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

*edit* double post

Edited by WingNutt, 21 February 2007 - 02:28 PM.

#126 Wingsfan31

Wingsfan31

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 21, 2007 - 02:15PM) View Post

Typical Don Cherry brainwashed Canadian, thinking the only solution is to elimate all Russian's and replace with Canadian players to have success in the playoffs. All brought on by the personal grudge Cherry has for European players. Boy did I get a kick out of Ilya calling out Crosby, not so much the act itself by more importantly how much it pissed off Big Don.

Yes Pavel must produce in these playoffs but to count the guy out now and say we need to trade fast would be foolish. You trade Datsyuk and the entire chemistry will get thrown off. Trading Dats and bring in BertuzzE is not the answer eh.

I agree that dealing Datsyuk would be foolish. He and Zetterberg have great chemistry and we'll have to see what they can do together in the post-season; perhaps having the two of them on the same line will cause lesser-talented teams problems trying to contain them at the same time instead of on different lines, where it's easier to eliminate one talented skater when he has little help.

I think the Wings need to take the same tactic they did with Sergei; roll the dice and see what happens. If he makes it to free agency, then all bets are off and you can pursue other options. But, to simply deal him, when you are a contender, for what he MIGHT do is operating from a position of weakness.

As for the Euro/Russian stereotype, I think the Wings pretty much shattered that in their three Cup runs. Sergei, Kozzie, Igor, Nick, Dom and the like all showed that you don't have to be from N.A. to sack up come the post season. If anything, the questions surrounding Datsyuk are personal and not indicative of a cultural phenomenon. he simply may not be a clutch performer in the post season. I guess we'll see this year.

#127 LivingtheDream

LivingtheDream

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:29 AM

Hey, if this has been thought of elswhere don't flame me, but I was thinking. Since Pavel's agent may hold out for $$$, maybe an offer of a resonable amount (say 5 million) + big bonuses for playoff performance would be a deal worth looking at.

#128 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE(LivingtheDream @ February 22, 2007 - 06:29AM) View Post

Hey, if this has been thought of elswhere don't flame me, but I was thinking. Since Pavel's agent may hold out for $$$, maybe an offer of a resonable amount (say 5 million) + big bonuses for playoff performance would be a deal worth looking at.

This would probably work, but I think I heard somewhere that its not so much the pay that they were in disagreement to but more the Term. We'll see I have faith in both Datsyuk and Holland, they will get it done right so that both parties get what they want. and to many more seasons with Pavel playing for the Wings.

#129 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 22, 2007 - 09:25AM) View Post

This would probably work, but I think I heard somewhere that its not so much the pay that they were in disagreement to but more the Term. We'll see I have faith in both Datsyuk and Holland, they will get it done right so that both parties get what they want. and to many more seasons with Pavel playing for the Wings.

Maybe its just me, but it seems as though Dats likes to "roll the dice". Instead of locking up that long term contract, he'd rather take a shorter one, in hopes of hitting it big a year or two down the road. If he has a monster playoff year, it may just pay off for him. If not, I assume he'll be offered a similar contract to what he's currently getting with a small raise.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 22 February 2007 - 10:37 AM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#130 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 21, 2007 - 01:15PM) View Post

When did Sweden become a province?

Posted Image

#131 Vonnie182

Vonnie182

Ewwww, a band-aid...

• 38 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:42 PM

dats quacktastic!

#132 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE(norrisnick @ February 22, 2007 - 03:36PM) View Post

When did Sweden become a province?

you lost me friend?? What does Sweden have to do with Don Cherry and Cruiser008 being a Canadian???

#133 ZetterBurger40

ZetterBurger40

Hall-of-Famer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 21, 2007 - 02:15PM) View Post

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I guarantee that if Datsyuk were a good ol' Canadian or American boy with the exact same skill level, the hatred/unrest about his contract would drop by about 80%- a good amount of that WOULD come from Cherry praising him every night. He is an all-world player and is going nowhere.

#134 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 22, 2007 - 04:52PM) View Post

you lost me friend?? What does Sweden have to do with Don Cherry and Cruiser008 being a Canadian???

I believe he's saying that Cherry respects Swedish players? In Canada our regional areas are broken into provinces, so he's implying that if Cherry only likes Canadians then Sweden must be a province of Canada.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#135 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(WingNutt @ February 22, 2007 - 03:52PM) View Post

Cruiser008 mentioned no Canadians in his response, but he did infact mention a Swede, namely Zetterberg. Unless Sweden has become a Canadian province, the statement about hatred for Europeans would be falsified.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#136 norrisnick

norrisnick

GOAT

• Bronze Booster
  • 16,002 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(ZetterBurger40 @ February 22, 2007 - 03:57PM) View Post

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I guarantee that if Datsyuk were a good ol' Canadian or American boy with the exact same skill level, the hatred/unrest about his contract would drop by about 80%- a good amount of that WOULD come from Cherry praising him every night. He is an all-world player and is going nowhere.

Regarding his contract demands, I'd say his playoff performance greatly outshines his Russian-ness. And Canadian or not, I doubt Cherry would like Pavel. He isn't even overly fond of Crosby.

Posted Image