• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Siffer

Lets keep things in perspective people

Rate this topic

Williams had a good season last year, but he's mostly been a disappointment since his career began 7 years ago. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, I don't know. But he's terrible right now. He may not be the worst forward in the NHL, but he's in the discussion. The guy couldn't shoot a puck into the ocean standing on a pier. He has zero confidence, makes terrible decisions and finds a new way to turn the puck over almost every time he touches it. We hoped last season was finally his breakout, but it's starting to look like it was an outlier, and now he's regressing to the norm. For anything slightly north of a ham sandwich, the Wings should pull the trigger on a deal.

Great post!

:clap:

Alright this is getting so irritating that its driven me to start a rare thread. This Jason Williams talk is going completely overboard...its like the LGW plague. Over the course of just today ive seen it mentioned that people think Mr 1pt Kopecky is better than him, and now the ultimate slap in the face...2 AHL shmucks in Hussey and Ellis. Now the hot talk is waiving him! This is ridiculous, i am not a Jason Williams supporter and obviously want him traded but be serious about it. He is not THAT bad.

For the amount of money he's making he is. Think about what skills he has - he can skate well. That's it. His defensive play is average, his shot isn't going to scare anyone, his passing is alright but he doesn't have great vision to really capitalise. He's not big, can't hit and loses a lot more puck battles than he wins.

Now look at his stats: 56GP, 11G, 15A, 26 PTS. He avergaes almost 15 minutes per game, 3 of which are on the PP. He's been placed on the 4th line of late but the first half of this season he was skating with Robert Lang and Dan Cleary.

Hudler on the other hand gets 9 minutes of Ice time a game, just over 1 minute of PP time and he's played almost exclusivly on the 4th line and yet he has 2 goals less than Williams.

If Williams were making the league minimum I'd have a lot less problems with his play. But considering he's making 7 digits in a capped NHL, clearly you have to see how useless this guy is.

Putting him in the same category as Kopecky, Ellis or Hussey is really not that far off when you consider the skill-to-pay ratio.

Point blank, I'd love to see the Wings waive him or deal him for anything. And I mean anything.

Williams had a good season last year, but he's mostly been a disappointment since his career began 7 years ago. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, I don't know. But he's terrible right now. He may not be the worst forward in the NHL, but he's in the discussion. The guy couldn't shoot a puck into the ocean standing on a pier. He has zero confidence, makes terrible decisions and finds a new way to turn the puck over almost every time he touches it. We hoped last season was finally his breakout, but it's starting to look like it was an outlier, and now he's regressing to the norm. For anything slightly north of a ham sandwich, the Wings should pull the trigger on a deal.

EXCELLENT POST!

And I think Holland would be lying if he told you that he didn't think Williams would increase on what he did last year. It's the reason he didn't bother going after players like Guerin or Sykora and gave JW a huge raise.

But the fact that Williams got 20 points in his last 50+ games last year should have told you that his early success had more to do with Detroit's PP, the new rules and the year off most NHLers took (while players like JW were in Europe keeping in shape). As soon as the rest of the league got back in real game shape and adjusted to the new rules JW eroded back to the good AHL player he is.

Edited by Hank

EXCELLENT POST!

And I think Holland would be lying if he told you that he didn't think Williams would increase on what he did last year. It's the reason he didn't bother going after players like Guerin or Sykora and gave JW a huge raise.

But the fact that Williams got 20 points in his last 50+ games last year should have told you that his early success had more to do with Detroit's PP, the new rules and the year off most NHLers took (while players like JW were in Europe keeping in shape). As soon as the rest of the league got back in real game shape and adjusted to the new rules JW eroded back to the good AHL player he is.

I think this is one of the things that really infuriates people about Holland. There was absolutely no evidence that Williams was going to repeat, let alone build on his numbers from last year. Yet, he gets the big payday, a la Boyd Devereaux, for what he might be able to do. He took a similar gamble with Sammy but at least Sammy plays a somewhat abrasive game.

I wouldn't out-right waive the guy, because you're still on the hook for 2/3 of his deal, but I would look to move him for futures even, just to free up his wing for a guy like Hudler, Grigs or even possibly Ryno.

I think this is one of the things that really infuriates people about Holland. There was absolutely no evidence that Williams was going to repeat, let alone build on his numbers from last year. Yet, he gets the big payday, a la Boyd Devereaux, for what he might be able to do. He took a similar gamble with Sammy but at least Sammy plays a somewhat abrasive game.

I wouldn't out-right waive the guy, because you're still on the hook for 2/3 of his deal, but I would look to move him for futures even, just to free up his wing for a guy like Hudler, Grigs or even possibly Ryno.

I'd try to deal him for a guy like Zednik. Zednik is a UFA after this year and if Washington can't resign him maybe the Caps would want to get something for nothing if they're going to lose him anyway. Of couse, George McPhee probably doesn't want Williams either.

I'd be extremely suprised if ANYONE would be interested in Williams... I think he has never fully recovered mentally from the the hit earlier this year and his confidence is ZERO. Last year I can remember him really using speed to get to the puck and cause turnovers... he even laid a couple of good hits on people if I am not mistaken. Plus what line was he playing on last year? I could swear he got time with Dats & Shanny...

Hank, I think you bring up a great point about WIlly playing in Europe during the lockout... that definitely gave him an advantage.

Lang isn't helping out either... imo Williams was at his best playing on the 4th line with Flipper and Hudler.. his speed was an asset there..

The problem with Williams isn't so much that he sucks but that he's awfully redundant on this team. Filppula can basically do everything he can (except shoot R)... and the advent of Grigorenko would make him EVEN more expendable. He's holding up a roster spot that a real role player could take, heck even Norton or Bootland or Langfeld... those guys that can lay a hit.

I honestly think that shooting R and a price tg of 1.5M is the only thing standing between Jase and the minors :P