• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
haroldsnepsts

Buccigross on the Red Wings

Rate this topic

I know any thread with ESPN or Buccigross in it will usually get some bashing, but I don't care what anyone says, the guy knows hockey. In his latest column, he evaluates his pre-season predictions.

Here's his thoughts on the Red Wings and the rest of the West.

5. Detroit Red Wings

Preseason prediction: The Wings are still good because they have a god on defense in Lidstrom, a 40-50-goal threat in Zetterberg and a potent power play. What they don't have is a championship roster.

Preseason player projection: Henrik Zetterberg, 44-53-97. Current projection: 41-46-87.

Here and now: Zetterberg is one of the best players in the NHL. Having seen them play in person, I still don't believe the Wings have a championship roster. They need a little more grit and punch, or Datsyuk will get shutout again. GM Ken Holland will do something. I'm sure he is telling John Davidson in St. Louis, "Don't do anything until you call me."

and his thoughts on the West overall:

Overall, the West was pretty predictable and is clearly the better conference. However, the last three Stanley Cup winners have come from the East, and maybe that will happen again this year. The West will beat up on each other and an Eastern Conference team will pounce. Or we'll have what we saw from 1996-2002, when six of the seven Stanley Cup winners were from the West. We'll see.
Edited by haroldsnepsts

I know any thread with ESPN or Buccigross in it will usually get some bashing, but I don't care what anyone says, the guy knows hockey. In his latest column, he evaluates his pre-season predictions.

Here's his thoughts on the Red Wings and the rest of the West.

A good article, i missed this earlier in the season so it was good to read everything in it.. But nothin about Hasek's play in it ;)

Guest ZetterBurger40

A good article, i missed this earlier in the season so it was good to read everything in it.. But nothin about Hasek's play in it ;)

go figure

I don't think Hasek's play is a surprise. At least it shouldn't be. He was great last season up until his injury.

It does seem like he would warrant some mention though, as so much of the Wings playoff hopes do hinge on him being in net.

I don't think Hasek's play is a surprise. At least it shouldn't be. He was great last season up until his injury.

It does seem like he would warrant some mention though, as so much of the Wings playoff hopes do hinge on him being in net.

I know that's why i out the wink in there :P .. If hasek plays well in the playoffs wings will win the cup :thumbup:

Just goin on that a little. When we won the cup in 2002, Hasek to me, didn't seem to play overally great. He was impressive at times, but wasn't as good as he's playing this year. I'm just shocked that he's better now than maybe 4/5 years ago

This isnt nothing we dont know. But nobody can deny that goaltending has been as good as it has been since...well 2002, and the defense could be the best since then as well, in terms of its chemistry and balance between stay at homers and offensive guys.

Of course the front needs some work, but a top 5 of Hank, Dats, Homer, Lang and Bert, Guerin, or Tkachuk does wonders when you consider the guy being replace will likely be Williams and/or Hudler.

Hank - Dats - Homer

Sammy - Lang - Guerin/Tkachuk/Bert

Hudler - Draper - Lapointe/Mayers

Cleary - Franzen - Maltby

That doesnt look so bad when you consider the defense and goaltending package that goes along with it.

Ive got a 5 buck bet that says if Detroit gets Lapointe, it will be Willy heading to Chicago.

And he's clearly a fan of Zetteberg's.

Here's his response to a letter from a new fan asking what he should look for to enjoy the game more:

Not enough attention is paid to the amazing skating ability of the NHL player. Watch their feet and how fast and strong they are. Watch their amazing lateral movement. Watch how they stop and go on a dime. Watch how Dion Phaneuf skates backwards. Watch how Chris Drury takes a faceoff. Watch Henrik Zetterberg do everything

What I find interesting is that a few years ago Bucci had serious man-love for Pavel, but that has faded to near resentment of late (playoff play induced). He does have the man-love in full force for Z now though. Note that in one of his replies to an email about what to watch for as a new fan he replies.

Not enough attention is paid to the amazing skating ability of the NHL player. Watch their feet and how fast and strong they are. Watch their amazing lateral movement. Watch how they stop and go on a dime. Watch how Dion Phaneuf skates backwards. Watch how Chris Drury takes a faceoff. Watch Henrik Zetterberg do everything.

Just goin on that a little. When we won the cup in 2002, Hasek to me, didn't seem to play overally great. He was impressive at times, but wasn't as good as he's playing this year. I'm just shocked that he's better now than maybe 4/5 years ago

Unless we pick up at least one big guy who can chip in some postseason goals, I think Hasek is going to have to play out of his mind for the Wings to do well in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic from the last few seasons, but I think the Wings will have a hard time scoring again.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

What I find interesting is that a few years ago Bucci had serious man-love for Pavel, but that has faded to near resentment of late (playoff play induced). He does have the man-love in full force for Z now though. Note that in one of his replies to an email about what to watch for as a new fan he replies.

Not enough attention is paid to the amazing skating ability of the NHL player. Watch their feet and how fast and strong they are. Watch their amazing lateral movement. Watch how they stop and go on a dime. Watch how Dion Phaneuf skates backwards. Watch how Chris Drury takes a faceoff. Watch Henrik Zetterberg do everything.

I beat ya to it Nick. ;) And I have noticed that when the Wings come up, he often mentions Pavel's lack of playoff production.

I hate you harold.....

Mwahahahahaha....

learn to type faster! :ph34r:

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Unless we pick up at least one big guy who can chip in some postseason goals, I think Hasek is going to have to play out of his mind for the Wings to do well in the playoffs.

Maybe I'm just overly pessimistic from the last few seasons, but I think the Wings will have a hard time scoring again.

i think partially we do get droughts iin the past years, but we haven't be ousted alone on that. We always seem to play a goalie that makes 40/50 saves. Potvin, Roloson and Giggy. I hate them all

i think partially we do get droughts iin the past years, but we haven't be ousted alone on that. We always seem to play a goalie that makes 40/50 saves. Potvin, Roloson and Giggy. I hate them all

No, it hasn't been that alone, but it's definitely a big factor. And I think we've made some goalies look better than they were.

In the playoffs everyone sits back and collapses around the goaltender to block more shots. So the ones that do get through often aren't quality scoring chances. They're low percentage shots from the perimeter.

It's the same old song and dance, but the Wings need to be able to cycle the puck in the corners and have guys crashing the net if they want to score in the postseason. They're not gonna be able to dipsy-doodle around in the offense zone like they can in the regular season.

the only thing i am afraid of post season is getting the team that crawled into 8th. kicking and scratching the whole way.

the last 3 teams to beat us all went to game 7 of the cup only to lose it.

we dont get beat because of talent....we got beat by determination.

ducks vs. devils

flames vs. lightning

oilers vs. hurricanes

hmmm......i see a pattern here. :crazy:

I am shocked.

Not.

Yeah, he's mentioned in 499 out of 500 articles, but not this 500th. Heaven forbid, especially when it's just a 4-sentence paragraph. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm holding out hope (like last season :lol:) that Datsyuk will produce in the postseason, since Buccigross mentioned him. I actually think Holland will do something big as well before the deadline, as compared to last season. Here's hoping for Tkachuk (if the Blues decide to become sellers).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan