• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

What's Going on With Ovechkin?

Rate this topic

It seems like it wasn't too long ago that he was 1st in goals and 2nd in overall scoring (was he only 5 pts behind Crosby or so? Can't rememember).

Now he has dropped to a tie for 4th in goals and 10th in scoring. He's 23 points behind Crosby now. Granted, the #2 guy is 14 points behind Crosby and Ovechkin's drop in the list has a lot to do with how hot Lecavalier and St. Louis have been, but he's also been very quiet the last 8-10 games.

yeah it's just a slump. All players go through it

apparently not Crosby. That sucks, because I like Ovy better.

Anyways, I was interested in this myself and I was surprised to see that Ovechkin's PP time for forwards is 2nd to Semin. To be honest, I think its just a case of teams having their best guys out against Ovechkin every shift without much help from his linemates either.

From TSN:

"I feel great, I just can't score goals. I'm not on PK, so I sit there. It's hard to play sitting on the bench."

- Capitals winger Alexander Ovechkin, who was limited to 18:47 of ice time - more than two minutes below his average - partly because the Capitals took eight minor penalties on Tuesday.

He's just having a bad streak; he'll put up good numbers once he gets a good bounce [or two].

Anyways, I was interested in this myself and I was surprised to see that Ovechkin's PP time for forwards is 2nd to Semin. To be honest, I think its just a case of teams having their best guys out against Ovechkin every shift without much help from his linemates either.

Crosby slumps as well, but it is really just slumping compared to the norm. When he slumps, he still puts up more points than most.

I remember hearing someone from TSN earlier in the year saying that he is starting to show how special he is, especially when going scoreless in 2 straight games gets media attention.

Until he had 4 points in his last game, he was actually in his worst slump of the year, scoring only 13 points in his previous 10 games.

His first slump, Wait and see eventually he is going to break out of it and go on a scoring rampage. A guy with that much talent and ambition can only be held down so long.

I have faith Sasha

Edited by WingNutt

Crosby is doing so well that he has pushed Ovechkin out of the spot light. Especially with how well the Pens are doing. Im not sure what the Caps record is this year but, if they have been losing a lot, maybe he is discouraged?

The Capitals are 23-27-9. Not going to make it with those numbers.

Crosby is doing so well that he has pushed Ovechkin out of the spot light. Especially with how well the Pens are doing. Im not sure what the Caps record is this year but, if they have been losing a lot, maybe he is discouraged?

Crosby has certainly taken the spotlight from pretty everyone, but that obviously would not impact Ovechkin's performance.

You may have a point in potential discouragement due to the team not playing well, but they are a better team this year than last year. He certainly sounded discouraged after last night's game.

When I got to watch them the other day, I saw Semin playing the point on the PP. That might have a little something to do with it. The Caps don't really have a great quarterback on the roster, and Ovechkin isn't gonna play there.

But yeah, Ovechkin is still great. He's just going through a funk. He'll get out of it soon enough. When the Caps amass enough talent to roll three lines capable of scoring Alex will be even more dangerous.

it must be the sophomore curse :P

I wish i was "cursed" like that every year.

He is going through a slump though, thats 4 games without a point (longest of his career?) and only 3 points in the last 10 games.

I'm going to DC on saturday and will be at the game on sunday vs the Devils, hopefully he can break out of the slump by then and put on a show.

Edited by kozac

Have you seen the roster he's playing with? I'm still amazed this guy got 50 goals last year and is doing as well as he is this year.

He has 72 points right now and the next closest has 56.

His centre is Danius-freakin-Zubrus and his RW is Chris Clark for crying out loud.

Sure, Semin is good but they only play together on the PP.

If this guy had just ONE real 1st line player to play with he'd be 2nd in league scoring.

Wait until Backstrum comes in next year. He'll be back to scoring 100 points a season.

Have you seen the roster he's playing with? I'm still amazed this guy got 50 goals last year and is doing as well as he is this year.

He has 72 points right now and the next closest has 56.

His centre is Danius-freakin-Zubrus and his RW is Chris Clark for crying out loud.

Sure, Semin is good but they only play together on the PP.

If this guy had just ONE real 1st line player to play with he'd be 2nd in league scoring.

Wait until Backstrum comes in next year. He'll be back to scoring 100 points a season.

Then here's my question- why doesn't the Caps' coach put Semin and Ovetchkin on the same line and see if he can pull off a Babcock? Remember when Dats and Z were feeling slumpy? :P