44 replies to this topic

#41 Hank

Hank

60% of the time it works everytime

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ February 22, 2007 - 01:27PM) View Post

I missed the November 20th goal. He's only assisted on one of Crosby's goals since the January 2nd game and that was on January 20th, on the powerplay.

If I had to guess on the number of games that Crosby and Malkin actually played on the same line for the full game, I'd put it between 10-15.

Zubrus is not a 3rd liner, he's a pretty good player. Actually, a lot of Pens fans are suggested that they trade for him to put on Crosby's line.

Zubrus isn't a bad player as long as he has the right linemates. When he was with Leclair and Lindros he flourished. I still think he's a much better winger than centre and if he was put with Crosby and Recchi/Malone he would probably do really well. But he's not talented enough to carry a line on his own and I don't think his style fits Ovechkin's that much. A.O. needs a centre more like Marc Savard - a great passer that gets rid of the puck as soon as he gets it.

#42 jagr68

jagr68

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have the Center Ice too and watch every Pens game also.

When Malkin first came to the Pens, he missed some games because of his injury, he was paired with Sid when he had that 6 or 7 game goal scoring streak to begin his career. Not to long after that, they were split up to create depth.

I remember most of the season bothered by this, because my gf being a Tampa Bay fan gets to see her two favorite players, Lecavalier and St. Louis play together on the same line, where my Pens split up Malkin and Crosby most of the season.

And yes it is no secret. The two never practice together. And they tend to only get paired when they are down a goal. The coach said many times he split them up to give more balance to the lines. When they were paired together they played very well, but I'll agree, the other lines seemed lacking. And the Pens have 23 games left or so and you can bet you won't find them on the same line again, unless it's for a quick goal late in the game because Malkin and Staal now have such great chemistry together and are playing very well.

In the meantime, Crosby is stuck with a old Recchi, who isnt' playing all that bad, and a Ryan Malone who should not be a first line player on ANY NHL team. They finally learned Colby wasn't a first line player too.

So yeah, Crosby and Malkin will appear on the boxsheets together, especially in October and early November. And they went a while not being on the same line, then they were put on the same line for a game or two in December, but after that, that was pretty much it.

None of us are pro's, and can't speak for any pro's, but if I were Sid, I'd take either of Ovechkin's linemates over Malone.

#43 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Hank @ February 22, 2007 - 09:04AM) View Post

That's odd. I have the Centre Ice Package and have watched over 30 of their games. Up until the middle of January I saw Malkin as Crosby's LW. Only in the last few weeks has Malkin switched back to centre, centering a line with Staal on the LW and Armstrong on the RW.

EDIT: I just did a google search and it was noted on October 24th when the Pens put Malkin on his wing. The boxscore was:

1ST PERIOD NJD PIT
7:40 Scott Gomez
Assists: Brian Gionta, Brad Lukowich 1 0
13:37 Nils Ekman
Assists: Mark Eaton 1 1
2ND PERIOD NJD PIT
1:26 Sidney Crosby
Assists: Evgeni Malkin, Ryan Whitney 1 2
4:53 Jordan Staal
Assists: Nils Ekman, Mark Recchi 1 3
3RD PERIOD NJD PIT
8:02 Sergei Brylin
Assists: Jim Fahey, Patrik Elias 2 3
10:41 Evgeni Malkin
Assists: Sidney Crosby, Ryan Whitney 2 4

http://sports.espn.g...ameId=261024016

This is only one game I know, but if you check www.tsn.ca and look for the Pens schedule and results you will see that Crosby and Malkin hooked up for several EVEN STRENGTH goals until about late January.
In fact, TSN even has Malkin listed as a C/LW because of where he's played the majority of the year. TSN's usually spot on with where a player is currently playing.

Yeah Malkins LW with Crosby on the PP
IPB Image

#44 Anomalously

Anomalously

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

http://www.nhl.com/s...07/SC020373.HTM

Look up the shift charts if you guys want to accurately fight about this stuff. Yes, they played together on the same line ES earlier in the year, but by December, this wasn't the case. They almost always play on the powerplay together, although sometimes after a long shift for Crosby or Malkin they'll split them up.

-- Anom (#24)

#45 WingNutt

WingNutt

-DATS the way to Play-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

Great yowza.gif , now a Ovechkin post. Has turned into a Croby and Malkin Shift Debate. Whats up with all the thread hijackers?

www.datsyuk13.com ^thanks Offsides^
[press] "When you have the puck, how many people do you see?"
Without smiling, Datsyuk answered, "18,000"