16 replies to this topic

#1 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE(TSN.ca/NHL)
Going to a one-minute penalty in overtime instead of traditional two minutes: The GMs agreed it's too soon to try this in the NHL next season but perhaps can be tried out in rookie tournaments next fall and/or possibly in the AHL.

How much more are they going to screw with the game. IMO, there is no reason to make a penalty worth only half the time in OT, simply because they are skating 4 a side. They'd be better off going to a 10 minute, 5-on-5 OT, with regular 2 minute penalties.

Thoughts on the league switching to 1 minute minors in Regular Season OT...........

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 21 February 2007 - 10:16 AM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#2 Zeta Power 40

Zeta Power 40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:15 AM

if this happens next year, im going to kill myself. That is seriously the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
Red Wings, My Red Wings, Come On Wings, Lets Fly!!!

#3 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:19 AM

Oh man, that is a terrible, terrible idea. crazy.gif

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#4 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 21, 2007 - 10:13AM) View Post

How much more are they going to screw with the game. IMO, there is no reason to make a penalty worth only half the time in OT, simply because they are skating 4 a side. They'd be better off going to a 10 minute, 5-on-5 OT, with regular 2 minute penalties.

Thoughts on the league switching to 1 minute minors in Regular Season OT...........

No. Still a penalty.

Edit: Will a rule change like this actually be good for the game? Owners may realize that Bettman has done nothing but completely change the game and force him out. That would be good for the game.

Edited by Manny4Prez, 21 February 2007 - 10:31 AM.

stevienewjo4.gif

#5 elriqo28

elriqo28

head tap!

• PipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 21, 2007 - 10:13AM) View Post

i dont think going to one minute penalies will be anything extreme, but it sounds kinda dumb....5-5 ot bad i dea....the 4 on 4 in overtime has made it more exciting and face paced, it opens the rink up so that someone could score at any moment

#6 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

Here's another thought. What happens if a player draws blood on a high sticking penalty? Do they award the team a 1-minute double minor, making the penalty worth 2 minutes total? Or do they give them the extra 2 minutes for drawing blood, bringing it to a 3 minute total penalty?

Stupid....

QUOTE(elriqo28 @ February 21, 2007 - 09:33AM) View Post

i dont think going to one minute penalies will be anything extreme, but it sounds kinda dumb....5-5 ot bad i dea....the 4 on 4 in overtime has made it more exciting and face paced, it opens the rink up so that someone could score at any moment

And that's what you're looking for when you watch hockey? Easier scoring?

Since when does easier scoring automatically = exciting hockey?

Truthfully, some of the best games I've seen this season have ended up 1-0 with a ton of flow to the game. That's just as exciting (if not more) than a 6-5 game with up and down action.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25, 21 February 2007 - 11:12 AM.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#7 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE(Manny4Prez @ February 21, 2007 - 10:28AM) View Post

No. Still a penalty.

Edit: Will a rule change like this actually be good for the game? Owners may realize that Bettman has done nothing but completely change the game and force him out. That would be good for the game.

What does Bettman have to do with this?

#8 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:16 AM

I'll file this idea in with the "Playing OT Blindfolded" idea. Or ...the releasing of hungry lions on the ice during OT.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#9 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Learn2LuvIt @ February 21, 2007 - 10:16AM) View Post

I'll file this idea in with the "Playing OT Blindfolded" idea. Or ...the releasing of hungry lions on the ice during OT.

I was always in favor of a Bubble Hockey game between the two captains to decide the extra point rather than a shootout. laugh.gif

#10 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Of all the problems with publicizing the game, marketing it to the youth in this country, problems with the national TV station, piss-poor attendence in many markets, 1 MINUTE OT PENALTIES IS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!

HOWf****** STUPID CAN THE NHL BE???

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#11 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:36 AM

It's a crazy idea.
IMO they need to get rid of OT and go straight to SO.

#12 brutus

brutus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(WhiteLightning91 @ February 21, 2007 - 11:27AM) View Post

HOWf****** STUPID CAN THE NHL BE???

Apparently pretty stupid. but who in their right mind would expect anything different?

Next thing they will be making the goals larger getting rid of the sticks turning the ice into grass or turf and changing the puck into a ball and requiring players to only use their feet. that way poor slobs all over the world will be able to appreciate the game and be drawn to it like flies to s***

brutus
To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public --T. Roosevelt

#13 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,296 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

Bad idea.

Why would the owners want to screw with this? I thought the idea of overtime was trying to decide an eventual winner. Shortening a power play isn't going to help that.

Unless they're trying to create more shootouts. dry.gif

#14 TheLegend19

TheLegend19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 21, 2007 - 10:36AM) View Post

Here's another thought. What happens if a player draws blood on a high sticking penalty? Do they award the team a 1-minute double minor, making the penalty worth 2 minutes total? Or do they give them the extra 2 minutes for drawing blood, bringing it to a 3 minute total penalty?

Stupid....
And that's what you're looking for when you watch hockey? Easier scoring?

Since when does easier scoring automatically = exciting hockey?

Truthfully, some of the best games I've seen this season have ended up 1-0 with a ton of flow to the game. That's just as exciting (if not more) than a 6-5 game with up and down action.

Unfortunately, the casual hockey fan doesn't think the same way.

They'd probably prefer we count by 2s, unless you score from past the blue line. Then it's 3.

An empty net goal is basically a free throw, so we'll only give 1

QUOTE(toby91_ca @ February 21, 2007 - 11:15AM) View Post

What does Bettman have to do with this?

Is he not the commissioner anymore?
stevienewjo4.gif

#15 zata40

zata40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

that just makes is easier to do something that would cause a penalty, because they wont be punished as much. very bad idea
Posted Image

#16 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:35 PM

Well, penalties are rare in the new NHL, so they should make the penalty less severe and hopefully more players will slash and trip and hook and even high stick. how does this not make sense to anyone else?

oh, and to the guy that said some 1-0 games are more exciting, i forgot to quote and im too lazy to hit the back button. i have never agreed more with a statement on this website. look at today's game vs. the hawks. it was basically 3-2 without the empty net but it was one of the best games ive watched all season. sometimes too much scoring is just as dull as not enough scoring.

#17 Agalloch

Agalloch

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

What a dumb idea. What the hell would happen if someone got a penalty 19:59 into the third period? The opposing team would still get two minutes then.

How stupid. If you don't do anything stupid in OT anyway, you don't have to worry about being shorthanded.