• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

1 Minute Penalty in OT coming?

Rate this topic

Going to a one-minute penalty in overtime instead of traditional two minutes: The GMs agreed it's too soon to try this in the NHL next season but perhaps can be tried out in rookie tournaments next fall and/or possibly in the AHL.

How much more are they going to screw with the game. IMO, there is no reason to make a penalty worth only half the time in OT, simply because they are skating 4 a side. They'd be better off going to a 10 minute, 5-on-5 OT, with regular 2 minute penalties.

Thoughts on the league switching to 1 minute minors in Regular Season OT...........

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

How much more are they going to screw with the game. IMO, there is no reason to make a penalty worth only half the time in OT, simply because they are skating 4 a side. They'd be better off going to a 10 minute, 5-on-5 OT, with regular 2 minute penalties.

Thoughts on the league switching to 1 minute minors in Regular Season OT...........

No. Still a penalty.

Edit: Will a rule change like this actually be good for the game? Owners may realize that Bettman has done nothing but completely change the game and force him out. That would be good for the game.

Edited by Manny4Prez

i dont think going to one minute penalies will be anything extreme, but it sounds kinda dumb....5-5 ot bad i dea....the 4 on 4 in overtime has made it more exciting and face paced, it opens the rink up so that someone could score at any moment

Here's another thought. What happens if a player draws blood on a high sticking penalty? Do they award the team a 1-minute double minor, making the penalty worth 2 minutes total? Or do they give them the extra 2 minutes for drawing blood, bringing it to a 3 minute total penalty?

Stupid....

i dont think going to one minute penalies will be anything extreme, but it sounds kinda dumb....5-5 ot bad i dea....the 4 on 4 in overtime has made it more exciting and face paced, it opens the rink up so that someone could score at any moment

And that's what you're looking for when you watch hockey? Easier scoring?

Since when does easier scoring automatically = exciting hockey?

Truthfully, some of the best games I've seen this season have ended up 1-0 with a ton of flow to the game. That's just as exciting (if not more) than a 6-5 game with up and down action.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

No. Still a penalty.

Edit: Will a rule change like this actually be good for the game? Owners may realize that Bettman has done nothing but completely change the game and force him out. That would be good for the game.

What does Bettman have to do with this?

HOW ******* STUPID CAN THE NHL BE???

Apparently pretty stupid. but who in their right mind would expect anything different?

Next thing they will be making the goals larger getting rid of the sticks turning the ice into grass or turf and changing the puck into a ball and requiring players to only use their feet. that way poor slobs all over the world will be able to appreciate the game and be drawn to it like flies to s***

brutus

Here's another thought. What happens if a player draws blood on a high sticking penalty? Do they award the team a 1-minute double minor, making the penalty worth 2 minutes total? Or do they give them the extra 2 minutes for drawing blood, bringing it to a 3 minute total penalty?

Stupid....

And that's what you're looking for when you watch hockey? Easier scoring?

Since when does easier scoring automatically = exciting hockey?

Truthfully, some of the best games I've seen this season have ended up 1-0 with a ton of flow to the game. That's just as exciting (if not more) than a 6-5 game with up and down action.

Unfortunately, the casual hockey fan doesn't think the same way.

They'd probably prefer we count by 2s, unless you score from past the blue line. Then it's 3.

An empty net goal is basically a free throw, so we'll only give 1

What does Bettman have to do with this?

Is he not the commissioner anymore?

Well, penalties are rare in the new NHL, so they should make the penalty less severe and hopefully more players will slash and trip and hook and even high stick. how does this not make sense to anyone else?

oh, and to the guy that said some 1-0 games are more exciting, i forgot to quote and im too lazy to hit the back button. i have never agreed more with a statement on this website. look at today's game vs. the hawks. it was basically 3-2 without the empty net but it was one of the best games ive watched all season. sometimes too much scoring is just as dull as not enough scoring.

Guest Agalloch

What a dumb idea. What the hell would happen if someone got a penalty 19:59 into the third period? The opposing team would still get two minutes then.

How stupid. If you don't do anything stupid in OT anyway, you don't have to worry about being shorthanded.