• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheelin06

Holland backing down?

Rate this topic

According to TSN on the winter GM meetings:

''I have a better sense of the market now as I head home,'' said Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland. ''The prices remain too high. Whether or not we'll be willing to pay that price next Tuesday at the deadline remains to be seen.''

Realistic assesment.

Teams are asking for 1st round picks and prospects for rent-a players who will be UFAs in the summer. Most of whom (Tkachuk) haven't had a really consistently good season in a long time.

And Nashville mortaging the farm didn't help market value.

Just get the grit which Holland can still find cheap and forgo the Guerin/Tkachuk nonsense (players who will not help us anyways, unless we are missing Lang-esque lazyness and older age).

Its called if Holland doesnt do something to help this team in the playoffs we are out in the 1st round .... yet again.

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

Yep, the typical, "let's freak out over a tactical quote" thread... I saw this one coming from a mile away. Holland isn't going to be jumping for joy to the media if trade talks are going well, he won't say anything positive until he has a deal done. That's the way a GM works for the most part, so be patient, things will happen.

The line, "it remains to be seen" doesn't mean that no trades are coming, it just means that Holland isn't sure that he is willing to mess with the future of the organization for a rental player. That also doesn't mane he won't make a move like that either, it remains to be seen. I am confident that Holland will get someone here, whether it's Tkachuk, Guerin, or someone like Mayers, I am sure he will make a move.

Yep. Ask for everything and see what you get...same crap every year.

esteef

I agree with Holland when he said that there is another hockey that startes in sept.You can't aways be giving up on next season for the holy grail this one. Today hockey just does'nt work that wat anymore.

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

Woh woh there champ- let's be realistic here- the odds of correctly predicting the Wings exit are much, much higher then guessing that lottery number. At least give him a few hundred tries?

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.

Tactics? I think Holland spoke from the heart. He basically says the same thing every year. The question is how can he be surprised?

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.

According to TSN.ca and other sites were talking about the demands of Philly being extravagent and most teams beside the Preds being unwilling to meet them. In fact, TSN noted the Preds outbid other teams by a wide marging. I simply don't see any of the other potential buyers making those kind of offers.

Few of the remaining buyers have the young assets that Nash had to deal. Nash could afford to deal a young dman because their system is so stocked. This is not true of other teams.

Guerin, Smyth, Fatchuk et al are NOT Forsberg. Forsberg has, at times, been the best forward in the league and he is a proven playoff warrior. In contrast, the remaining high level forwards are all playoff disappointments (Guerin or Tkachuk with something like .5 pts per game in the playoffs) or haven't won anything

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't want to hear Holland make the same lame excuse again. Anyone could have foreseen this. Now, pay the price.

And? He's said this a week or so ago, and then he went off saying he WILL make a move or two. Then he said he'd step down a little..then the next day he said all over again that he'd be willing to do something. It goes back and forth. I'm sure he'll do something. Especially since some Wings *Cheli, Draper, Schneids* have some out talking about how the Wings need some toughness/grit...

Edited by hockeycrazy3033

Guest ZetterBurger40

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.

Exactly. Holland isn't going to throw away the future to appease fans that are looking for that big trade- it doesn't make sense. I still believe that Holland will make a move, but it will be one that makes sense for his team.

damn straight

tbh i'd be happy with just someone like Lapointe if prices are still stupid by tuesday