• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheelin06

Holland backing down?

Rate this topic

By tactic I meant even if he was close to a deal he's not going to tip anyone off.

Those who think Holland was waiting too long to address needs have to consider a few things.

1. Guerin came off a horrible year. The only team willing to take a chance on him was the team that finished dead last. They were desperate for players and more willing to take a big risk. It obviously worked out well for the Blues.

2. Bertuzzi came at the expense of Roberto Luongo. At that time it would have equalled the Wings giving up Datsyuk, a prospect and maybe a draft pick. The price for Bert has obviously gone way down. (Vancouver looks great right now for this trade).

3. We didn't have the needed cap space at the beginning of the season. After they moved Fischer's salary it opened them up to make moves at the trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that we didn't address some of our needs before the season but I don't know what else he could have done at that time.

With the new rule tweaking, I would guess that we are going to need some "Goons / Power forward / Grit" for next year.....getting them now for the picks and getting them signed or picking up a contract seems smarter than open market.

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.

It all depends on what he trades and what he gets in return. If he finally decides to address this team's weaknesses, I think fans will be more "forgiving". The last thing people want to see is status quo and a team that is once again, too soft to compete.

I agree with Holland when he said that there is another hockey that startes in sept.You can't aways be giving up on next season for the holy grail this one. Today hockey just does'nt work that wat anymore.

I agree. I meant selling GMs ask for everything just to see if anyone is that dumb or desparate to pay it. Holland is used to this and is not fooled. He's a buyer every year...

By tactic I meant even if he was close to a deal he's not going to tip anyone off.

Those who think Holland was waiting too long to address needs have to consider a few things.

1. Guerin came off a horrible year. The only team willing to take a chance on him was the team that finished dead last. They were desperate for players and more willing to take a big risk. It obviously worked out well for the Blues.

2. Bertuzzi came at the expense of Roberto Luongo. At that time it would have equalled the Wings giving up Datsyuk, a prospect and maybe a draft pick. The price for Bert has obviously gone way down. (Vancouver looks great right now for this trade).

3. We didn't have the needed cap space at the beginning of the season. After they moved Fischer's salary it opened them up to make moves at the trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that we didn't address some of our needs before the season but I don't know what else he could have done at that time.

Guerin and Bert specifically aren't the problem. It's Holland knowing he needs a player of that ilk and still not getting one until everybody needs one is the complaint.

And if we didn't have money, why were we in the race for Dumont, Carter, Nolan, etc.?

peace,

esteef

This is making me crazy, Holland is turning out to be the biggest flip-flopper we have seen since John Kerry in the last presidentail election. He will, than gee I don't know, it's kind of expensive, okay so forget Tkachuk and Guerin, what about Carter , and another second tier player?? This is getting to be utterly ridiculous, and if he does nothing now, chances are the prices will be even MORE in the summer's free agent market, because just like last year, GOD FORBID Kenny signs ANY PLAYER to a contract of more than one year! WHAT THE HELL!

If he does not pull off even a "minor depth" move. I say all LGW Posters form a lynch mob, and hunt him down like a DOG!!!!

:battle:

Edited by Winged Scooter

You mean you actually have to trade assets to get assets? What a shock. Maybe Holland should have thought about this back in the summer when he had the cap space to sign players that he's now looking to trade for.

This is making me crazy, Holland is turning out to be the biggest flip-flopper we have seen since John Kerry in the last presidentail election. He will, than gee I don't know, it's kind of expensive, okay so forget Tkachuk and Guerin, what about Carter , and another second tier player?? This is getting to be utterly ridiculous, and if he does nothing now, chances are the prices will be even MORE in the summer's free agent market, because just like last year, GOD FORBID Kenny signs ANY PLAYER to a contract of more than one year! WHAT THE HELL!

If he does not pull off even a "minor depth" move. I say all LGW Posters form a lynch mob, and hunt him down like a DOG!!!!

:battle:

Who the hell hunts dogs?

I know Kenny doesn't want to get a bad deal, but... A first round pick really shouldn't be too big of a deal. We'll end up from probably between 26-30th pick. Look at Krownwall, he's a number 1 and not much has come of him. Pavel a 6th and Zetterberg a 7th... Kenny has the talent to scout great players, so a first round isn't as important to us as maybe another GM

Edited by Mudvayneowns91

Holland needs to understand that prices aren't going down.....their going up. At this point, I think we need to make a deal right away. If we don't.......eh, I still think we have a solid team for the playoffs. But its just gonna get worse between now and the deadline.

Hey guys, this is only the 2nd season since the lockout. GMs are still adjusting to working with a cap at the trade deadline.

And don't forget, Holland has people like Bowman, Yzerman and Devellano to confer with.

Don't you think if there was someone they absolutely wanted that Kenny wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger?

Jeez the way you all lynch Holland I thought I was on the Lions message boards.

Hey guys, this is only the 2nd season since the lockout. GMs are still adjusting to working with a cap at the trade deadline.

And don't forget, Holland has people like Bowman, Yzerman and Devellano to confer with.

Don't you think if there was someone they absolutely wanted that Kenny wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger?

Jeez the way you all lynch Holland I thought I was on the Lions message boards.

Idk about that, I think at least %90 of everybody here loves Kenny. In my opinion and most, he's the best GM in the league. I can't even recall the last time we missed the playoffs

Guest ZetterBurger40

Idk about that, I think at least %90 of everybody here loves Kenny. In my opinion and most, he's the best GM in the league. I can't even recall the last time we missed the playoffs

He is THE best GM in the league. The Holland haters are just the most vocal on LGW. Outside of this site, its pretty hard to find anyone that thinks Holland is a bad GM.

You don't read MLive much, do you?

MLive has some of the worst posters on the internet. I haven't made an account there simply because I know I'd be arguing with people all day. After the Forsberg trade someone said we should've traded Zetterberg for him because Forsberg is the proven playoff player.

Edited by ARice89

You don't read MLive much, do you?

I don't see where all the gripes are with him. Pretty sure like the last 10/15 years, we have the best winning percentage of any NHL team. Honestly, when was the last time we were not in the playoff hunt. And was Kenny our guy then?

MLive has some of the worst posters on the internet. I haven't made an account there simply because I know I'd be arguing with people all day. After the Forsberg trade someone said we should've traded Zetterberg for him because Forsberg is the proven playoff player.

I would never want to meet the "genius" that came up with that theory! :nonono:

I don't see where all the gripes are with him. Pretty sure like the last 10/15 years, we have the best winning percentage of any NHL team. Honestly, when was the last time we were not in the playoff hunt. And was Kenny our guy then?

Oh come on. Spend about 10 minutes at that board and you'll see what I'm talking about. ARice already put it forward: The MLive forums are nothing but arguing and Holland bashing. There is no actual conversation that goes on there, just arguing and saying Holland sucks.

Guest Crymson

According to TSN on the winter GM meetings:

''I have a better sense of the market now as I head home,'' said Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland. ''The prices remain too high. Whether or not we'll be willing to pay that price next Tuesday at the deadline remains to be seen.''

Keep in mind that the prices might indeed be too high. Years of trading away first-round draft picks have left us rather dry in that category, and as a direct result of that we also need our budding prospects. We can't afford to trade them away.

EDIT: We're all used to decades with the ability to splurge massively on players at the trade deadline, and again spend tremendously in the summer to replace anyone whom we might have traded. Keep in mind that the cap era has ended our ability to do this.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Its called if Holland doesnt do something to help this team in the playoffs we are out in the 1st round .... yet again.

Please get back in touch with reality. There are times when things CANNOT be done.

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

:clap: I'd like them too, if you don't mind.