• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingedWheelin06

Holland backing down?

Rate this topic

In any event, it's all just a load of posturing before the trade season gets into full swing. Prices ought to come down as the deadline approaches; nobody wants their FAs to get away for nothing, and none of their suitors want to be swindled. Things even out...

:thumbup::thumbup: Exactly...

Kenny is going to do everything he can to bring someone in, but I am glad he is not willing to give up everything for these "rentals." There are a few select guys in the league that it would be worth getting while giving up picks and prospects and so far I am not seeing those players as available.

SwedeLundin77 - Love that Avatar! (and the movie)

Guest Crymson

Woh woh there champ- let's be realistic here- the odds of correctly predicting the Wings exit are much, much higher then guessing that lottery number. At least give him a few hundred tries?

LOL. This was pretty good. I guess the chances of guessing the Wings` ultimate fate are about (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2), thus 1/16. Meanwhile, you'll more likely be mauled to death by a unicorn than win the lottery.

I also liked your one last night, along the lines of "wow, I didn't know you could write on this board from your cell phone."

Guest Crymson

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.

$$$ saved up to re-sign Shanahan

Guerin was not so good last year. Please check into the reality hotel. Hindsight is 20/20.

at this point, i'm hoping for some CHEAP rentals. Lapointe or Nolan would be fine with me.

Lapointe? Let's just wait for Johan Ryno. Nolan? I'd pay $1.1m for a hitting, scoring rental. Why not?

Edited by Crymson

This boards is HILARIOUS. Must we give Holland a new thread for every quote of his??? READ WHAT THE REST OF THE LEAGUE GMS ARE SAYING!!!!!!!

Brian Burke - prices too high

Muckler - prices too high

JFJ - prices too high

Media on Jacques Martin - his making a rookie mistake, his prices are too high

...and these are just some of the guys.

People really need to realize that if the prices are through the roof, then the teams we will be facing in the 1st arent going to be getting any better than they are right now. The Wild, the Canucks, the Sharks, the stars, the ducks. Theres a rumor gaining steam that the canucks might get Jamie Heward. OOhh scary.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Guest Crymson

Guerin, Smyth, Fatchuk et al are NOT Forsberg. Forsberg has, at times, been the best forward in the league and he is a proven playoff warrior. In contrast, the remaining high level forwards are all playoff disappointments (Guerin or Tkachuk with something like .5 pts per game in the playoffs) or haven't won anything

Au contraire, Forsberg's injury problems reduced his trade value significantly

This boards is HILARIOUS. Must we give Holland a new thread for every quote of his??? READ WHAT THE REST OF THE LEAGUE GMS ARE SAYING!!!!!!!

Brian Burke - prices too high

Muckler - prices too high

JFJ - prices too high

Media on Jacques Martin - his making a rookie mistake, his prices are too high

...and these are just some of the guys.

People really need to realize that if the prices are through the roof, then the teams we will be facing in the 1st arent going to be getting any better than they are right now. The Wild, the Canucks, the Sharks, the stars, the ducks. Theres a rumor gaining steam that the canucks might get Jamie Heward. OOhh scary.

Two words: spoiled, unrealistic fans. Whoops--that's three words. Pick two.

Oh come on. Spend about 10 minutes at that board and you'll see what I'm talking about. ARice already put it forward: The MLive forums are nothing but arguing and Holland bashing. There is no actual conversation that goes on there, just arguing and saying Holland sucks.

Calm down, I didn't want to argue. But I would like to know the last time we didn't make the playoffs and was Kenny part of that team.

Seriously guys. Burke has been cited many times saying he doesnt want to give up guys like GETZLAF, PERRY, and RYAN. Those guys are young and talented as all heck right now. If thats what theyre asking from Anaheim, then they're asking for Filppula, Kronwall, and Howard from us, not second rounders and mid-level prospects.

Guest Crymson

Guerin and Bert specifically aren't the problem. It's Holland knowing he needs a player of that ilk and still not getting one until everybody needs one is the complaint.

peace,

esteef

Shanahan was of that ilk. Guerin signed with the Blues on July 6th. Shanahan signed with the Rangers on July 9th.

Edited by Crymson

LOL. This was pretty good. I guess the chances of guessing the Wings` ultimate fate are about (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2), thus 1/16. Meanwhile, you'll more likely be mauled to death by a unicorn than win the lottery.

I also liked your one last night, along the lines of "wow, I didn't know you could write on this board from your cell phone."

Yeah, he did get me there. I guess some of the nonsense I was reading didn't make me think those odds out correctly. :)

Guest Crymson

Yeah, he did get me there. I guess some of the nonsense I was reading didn't make me think those odds out correctly. :)

I did appreciate the meaning of your post, though--as you can no doubt tell, I like the inherent sense.

"Unless the prices come down, we're not going to do anything," said Burke. "I haven't been thrown anything that I even have to think about yet. It's the same guys coming after the same group of young players and they're not going for a rental. It's that simple. If the prices don't come down, we'll probably sit it out."

Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis was in the same boat as Burke, wanting to make a move and yet put off by the current asking prices.

So...Preds are done trading, Stars are done trading, Sutter said Stuart was his last move, Burke doesnt want to make big trade, and Nonis doesnt want to make a big trade

Basically, if he prices dont go down, what you see of the Western conference contenders now is what youre going to see in the playoffs sans some minor moves.

Shanahan was of that ilk. Guerin signed with the Blues on July 6th. Shanahan signed with the Rangers on July 9th.

Right. Shanahan was of that ilk, and he left. Did Holland bring in anyone to replace him? Hell we needed a couple of players like that even before Shanahan left the way he was playing...

I feel better.

esteef

Here's a quote from JFJ that should make everyone feel better:

"I do still think you're going to see some movement. A fair bit of movement," Ferguson said. "There are a number of top guys on defined seller teams that just haven't fallen yet. But I think that'll come, and I think it'll come soon. I think you'll see trades coming on the weekend. Teams prefer not to get jammed right up to Tuesday."

Here's a link to the original article.

Guest Crymson

Right. Shanahan was of that ilk, and he left. Did Holland bring in anyone to replace him? Hell we needed a couple of players like that even before Shanahan left the way he was playing...

I feel better.

esteef

And who, exactly, was available after Shanahan left? Keep in mind that his allotted salary is the cap space we have open now.

my (realistic) trade wishlist:

1. Guerin

2. Tkachuk

If you're willing to give up a lot, sure--that list is realistic. In the context of the current situation, however, this is far outside the bounds of reality unless the price goes down considerably.

And who, exactly, was available after Shanahan left? Keep in mind that his allotted salary is the cap space we have open now.

Actually, we gave about half of that alotted space to Markov which has led to us having one of the best defenses in the league. If we had signed Shanahan, Lilja would probably be on the top pairing still. No thanks.

...ok, it's takes a lot for me to say this, so here it goes. It's really not Holland who is at fault here. BLAH!! That tasted horrible!!!!! YECH!!!

...ok, what I mean is, there are teams that KNOW exactly what we need, these are also teams that we constantly beat the s*** out of in the 90's when we could throw millions around. I am not saying that there is a conspiracy going on, but it always seems that most teams ask Holland for the whole house when he inquires about a trade, and then when Holland backs off, they trade that player to someone else for lesser goods. Maybe they are looking to screw the mighty Wings, maybe not, it just always seems that way. I do credit Holland for not giving away the house for the likes of Bertuzzi or Tkachuk. Guerin might be worth what they are asking, but unless we are getting someone worth while, then I say screw the rest of the teams...

...Good on Ya Hollland! I say make some minor deals, ie Lapointe, and go for it with the team you have. Save your money for next season, then shove our 11th Stanley Cup up all their assess!!! (especially if it comes this year!)

...going back to what I was saying, I am sure most teams are asking about 3 or 4 certain players in return. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kindl & Kronwall. All of which I would say are WAAAYYYY too high of an asking price for the likes Bertuzzi/Tkachuk/Guerin/Smyth, etc...

...I know some of you won't believe that I actually wrote this post, but yes, I am supportng Holland and 4 European players! WOW! Miracles never cease!!!

Guest Crymson

...Good on Ya Hollland! I say make some minor deals, ie Lapointe, and go for it with the team you have. Save your money for next season, then shove our 11th Stanley Cup up all their assess!!! (especially if it comes this year!)

To go after Lapointe would not be to save money for next season.

$$$ saved up to re-sign Shanahan

Guerin was not so good last year. Please check into the reality hotel. Hindsight is 20/20.

Crymson, you da man :thumbup:

I think this, "We could have got Guerin before the season for nothin'" talk is :crazy:. It makes no sense to me to make this an issue at the end of February. No one knew he'd bounce back like he did. There was a reason why he signed with St. Louis.

I have to agree with Holland. The market for these rent o' players is to high. The only player who's going to be an UFA at the end of this season I'd like the Wings to go after is Ryan Smyth. Unlike the other players, Smyth would probably sign long term (assuming Datsyuk goes somewhere else, and there's money available). He's the only one worth it to trade a prospect(s) and picks for.

"Nuts" to the rest of them. I'd rather go with what we have, and try and grab a FA or two in the offseason.

...ok, it's takes a lot for me to say this, so here it goes. It's really not Holland who is at fault here. BLAH!! That tasted horrible!!!!! YECH!!!

...ok, what I mean is, there are teams that KNOW exactly what we need, these are also teams that we constantly beat the s*** out of in the 90's when we could throw millions around. I am not saying that there is a conspiracy going on, but it always seems that most teams ask Holland for the whole house when he inquires about a trade, and then when Holland backs off, they trade that player to someone else for lesser goods. Maybe they are looking to screw the mighty Wings, maybe not, it just always seems that way. I do credit Holland for not giving away the house for the likes of Bertuzzi or Tkachuk. Guerin might be worth what they are asking, but unless we are getting someone worth while, then I say screw the rest of the teams...

...going back to what I was saying, I am sure most teams are asking about 3 or 4 certain players in return. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kindl & Kronwall. All of which I would say are WAAAYYYY too high of an asking price for the likes Bertuzzi/Tkachuk/Guerin/Smyth, etc...

...I know some of you won't believe that I actually wrote this post, but yes, I am supportng Holland and 4 European players! WOW! Miracles never cease!!!

I can't imagine any GM being foolish enough to ask for Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Kindl, Kronwall, Filppula and Hudler are who I see as the likely candidates. I also wouldn't characterize Lapointe as a small move, he makes north of $2 million next season so while he's not the 30 goal guy we're looking for, his cap implications are huge. I do agree that Holland is being prudent with his picks, players and prospects. I'm sure Sharks, Ducks, Canucks and Ranger fans are gnashing their teeth as much as we are right now and it's possible none get a premier guy and everyone heads into the post season with holes.