PULL THE TRIGGER, KENNY

oh wait...

#22 The Enforcer

The Enforcer

Stanley Cup Champs 2008

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

Fatchuck.....I almost spit soda all over my keyboard. That's funny.
"The place was filled with every cutthroat and low-life from Bombay to Calcutta. It was worse than being in Detroit."

#23 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

And? He's said this a week or so ago, and then he went off saying he WILL make a move or two. Then he said he'd step down a little..then the next day he said all over again that he'd be willing to do something. It goes back and forth. I'm sure he'll do something. Especially since some Wings *Cheli, Draper, Schneids* have some out talking about how the Wings need some toughness/grit...

Edited by hockeycrazy3033, 21 February 2007 - 02:10 PM.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#24 ZetterBurger40

ZetterBurger40

Hall-of-Famer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(jenova0 @ February 21, 2007 - 01:52PM) View Post

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.

Exactly. Holland isn't going to throw away the future to appease fans that are looking for that big trade- it doesn't make sense. I still believe that Holland will make a move, but it will be one that makes sense for his team.

#25 Cicada

Cicada

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:13 PM

Funny thing is, if Holland bets the farm, and if we still lose in the first round, and now we're out some good prospects and good picks. I'm sure people here will still be discontented. I'd rather not pay at all, then overpay dearly, for a rental.

damn straight

tbh i'd be happy with just someone like Lapointe if prices are still stupid by tuesday
IPB Image

#26 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

By tactic I meant even if he was close to a deal he's not going to tip anyone off.

Those who think Holland was waiting too long to address needs have to consider a few things.
1. Guerin came off a horrible year. The only team willing to take a chance on him was the team that finished dead last. They were desperate for players and more willing to take a big risk. It obviously worked out well for the Blues.
2. Bertuzzi came at the expense of Roberto Luongo. At that time it would have equalled the Wings giving up Datsyuk, a prospect and maybe a draft pick. The price for Bert has obviously gone way down. (Vancouver looks great right now for this trade).
3. We didn't have the needed cap space at the beginning of the season. After they moved Fischer's salary it opened them up to make moves at the trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that we didn't address some of our needs before the season but I don't know what else he could have done at that time.

#27 The Enforcer

The Enforcer

Stanley Cup Champs 2008

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:16 PM

With the new rule tweaking, I would guess that we are going to need some "Goons / Power forward / Grit" for next year.....getting them now for the picks and getting them signed or picking up a contract seems smarter than open market.
"The place was filled with every cutthroat and low-life from Bombay to Calcutta. It was worse than being in Detroit."

#28 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,937 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

It all depends on what he trades and what he gets in return. If he finally decides to address this team's weaknesses, I think fans will be more "forgiving". The last thing people want to see is status quo and a team that is once again, too soft to compete.

"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#29 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(Tommie2 @ February 21, 2007 - 01:45PM) View Post

I agree with Holland when he said that there is another hockey that startes in sept.You can't aways be giving up on next season for the holy grail this one. Today hockey just does'nt work that wat anymore.

I agree. I meant selling GMs ask for everything just to see if anyone is that dumb or desparate to pay it. Holland is used to this and is not fooled. He's a buyer every year...

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 21, 2007 - 02:16PM) View Post

By tactic I meant even if he was close to a deal he's not going to tip anyone off.

Those who think Holland was waiting too long to address needs have to consider a few things.
1. Guerin came off a horrible year. The only team willing to take a chance on him was the team that finished dead last. They were desperate for players and more willing to take a big risk. It obviously worked out well for the Blues.
2. Bertuzzi came at the expense of Roberto Luongo. At that time it would have equalled the Wings giving up Datsyuk, a prospect and maybe a draft pick. The price for Bert has obviously gone way down. (Vancouver looks great right now for this trade).
3. We didn't have the needed cap space at the beginning of the season. After they moved Fischer's salary it opened them up to make moves at the trade deadline.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that we didn't address some of our needs before the season but I don't know what else he could have done at that time.

Guerin and Bert specifically aren't the problem. It's Holland knowing he needs a player of that ilk and still not getting one until everybody needs one is the complaint.

And if we didn't have money, why were we in the race for Dumont, Carter, Nolan, etc.?

peace,
esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#30 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:42 PM

*edit*

Edited by Kp-Wings, 21 February 2007 - 02:42 PM.

#31 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(Cicada @ February 21, 2007 - 02:13PM) View Post

damn straight

tbh i'd be happy with just someone like Lapointe if prices are still stupid by tuesday

So you dont want Holland to trade for someone whose price is stupid but you're in favor getting Lapointe???

Great Logic... crazy.gif

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#32 Winged Scooter

Winged Scooter

Future NFL Hall-of-Famer!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

This is making me crazy, Holland is turning out to be the biggest flip-flopper we have seen since John Kerry in the last presidentail election. He will, than gee I don't know, it's kind of expensive, okay so forget Tkachuk and Guerin, what about Carter , and another second tier player?? This is getting to be utterly ridiculous, and if he does nothing now, chances are the prices will be even MORE in the summer's free agent market, because just like last year, GOD FORBID Kenny signs ANY PLAYER to a contract of more than one year! WHAT THE HELL!
If he does not pull off even a "minor depth" move. I say all LGW Posters form a lynch mob, and hunt him down like a DOG!!!!
battle.gif

Edited by Winged Scooter, 21 February 2007 - 02:54 PM.

"Aw, you cheap sonofab@#$h. Are you crazy? Those guys are RETARDS!!" -- Reggie Dunlop
"I got a good deal on those boys, scout said they showed a lot of promise." -- Joe McGrath
"They brought their F$%&@*# TOYS with them!!" -- RD
"Well, I'd rather have them playing with their toys, than playing with themselves." -- JM

#33 epps

epps

Rookie

• Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:55 PM

You mean you actually have to trade assets to get assets? What a shock. Maybe Holland should have thought about this back in the summer when he had the cap space to sign players that he's now looking to trade for.

#34 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(Winged Scooter @ February 21, 2007 - 02:54PM) View Post

This is making me crazy, Holland is turning out to be the biggest flip-flopper we have seen since John Kerry in the last presidentail election. He will, than gee I don't know, it's kind of expensive, okay so forget Tkachuk and Guerin, what about Carter , and another second tier player?? This is getting to be utterly ridiculous, and if he does nothing now, chances are the prices will be even MORE in the summer's free agent market, because just like last year, GOD FORBID Kenny signs ANY PLAYER to a contract of more than one year! WHAT THE HELL!
If he does not pull off even a "minor depth" move. I say all LGW Posters form a lynch mob, and hunt him down like a DOG!!!!
battle.gif

Who the hell hunts dogs?

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#35 Mudvayneowns91

Mudvayneowns91

Colorado Wings guy

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

I know Kenny doesn't want to get a bad deal, but... A first round pick really shouldn't be too big of a deal. We'll end up from probably between 26-30th pick. Look at Krownwall, he's a number 1 and not much has come of him. Pavel a 6th and Zetterberg a 7th... Kenny has the talent to scout great players, so a first round isn't as important to us as maybe another GM

Edited by Mudvayneowns91, 21 February 2007 - 03:06 PM.

Surfside 6! Who lives there? Surfside 6! Young bachelors? In Miami Beach.

#36 Winged Scooter

Winged Scooter

Future NFL Hall-of-Famer!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(esteef @ February 21, 2007 - 02:56PM) View Post

Who the hell hunts dogs?

A deer? blush.gif
"Aw, you cheap sonofab@#$h. Are you crazy? Those guys are RETARDS!!" -- Reggie Dunlop
"I got a good deal on those boys, scout said they showed a lot of promise." -- Joe McGrath
"They brought their F$%&@*# TOYS with them!!" -- RD
"Well, I'd rather have them playing with their toys, than playing with themselves." -- JM

#37 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:15 PM

Holland needs to understand that prices aren't going down.....their going up. At this point, I think we need to make a deal right away. If we don't.......eh, I still think we have a solid team for the playoffs. But its just gonna get worse between now and the deadline.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#38 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:16 PM

<--- We are as we once were.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#39 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:22 PM

Hey guys, this is only the 2nd season since the lockout. GMs are still adjusting to working with a cap at the trade deadline.
And don't forget, Holland has people like Bowman, Yzerman and Devellano to confer with.
Don't you think if there was someone they absolutely wanted that Kenny wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger?

Jeez the way you all lynch Holland I thought I was on the Lions message boards.

#40 Mudvayneowns91

Mudvayneowns91

Colorado Wings guy

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 21, 2007 - 01:22PM) View Post

Hey guys, this is only the 2nd season since the lockout. GMs are still adjusting to working with a cap at the trade deadline.
And don't forget, Holland has people like Bowman, Yzerman and Devellano to confer with.
Don't you think if there was someone they absolutely wanted that Kenny wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger?

Jeez the way you all lynch Holland I thought I was on the Lions message boards.

Idk about that, I think at least %90 of everybody here loves Kenny. In my opinion and most, he's the best GM in the league. I can't even recall the last time we missed the playoffs
Surfside 6! Who lives there? Surfside 6! Young bachelors? In Miami Beach.