#41 ZetterBurger40

ZetterBurger40

Hall-of-Famer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Mudvayneowns91 @ February 21, 2007 - 03:26PM) View Post

Idk about that, I think at least %90 of everybody here loves Kenny. In my opinion and most, he's the best GM in the league. I can't even recall the last time we missed the playoffs

He is THE best GM in the league. The Holland haters are just the most vocal on LGW. Outside of this site, its pretty hard to find anyone that thinks Holland is a bad GM.

#42 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE(ZetterBurger40 @ February 21, 2007 - 03:28PM) View Post

He is THE best GM in the league. The Holland haters are just the most vocal on LGW. Outside of this site, its pretty hard to find anyone that thinks Holland is a bad GM.

You don't read MLive much, do you?

#43 Rice

Rice

Hank.

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ February 21, 2007 - 03:32PM) View Post

MLive has some of the worst posters on the internet. I haven't made an account there simply because I know I'd be arguing with people all day. After the Forsberg trade someone said we should've traded Zetterberg for him because Forsberg is the proven playoff player.

Edited by ARice89, 21 February 2007 - 03:36 PM.

In a 2005 study published by the journal Nature, researchers at Durham University in England concluded that, across a range of sports, we found that wearing red is consistently associated with a higher probability of winning. The researchers also suggested that red's effect may subconsciously intimidate opponents in athletic contests, especially when the athletes are equal in skill and strength.

#44 Mudvayneowns91

Mudvayneowns91

Colorado Wings guy

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ February 21, 2007 - 01:32PM) View Post

I don't see where all the gripes are with him. Pretty sure like the last 10/15 years, we have the best winning percentage of any NHL team. Honestly, when was the last time we were not in the playoff hunt. And was Kenny our guy then?
Surfside 6! Who lives there? Surfside 6! Young bachelors? In Miami Beach.

#45 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(ARice89 @ February 21, 2007 - 02:35PM) View Post

MLive has some of the worst posters on the internet. I haven't made an account there simply because I know I'd be arguing with people all day. After the Forsberg trade someone said we should've traded Zetterberg for him because Forsberg is the proven playoff player.

I would never want to meet the "genius" that came up with that theory! nonono.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#46 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(Mudvayneowns91 @ February 21, 2007 - 03:41PM) View Post

I don't see where all the gripes are with him. Pretty sure like the last 10/15 years, we have the best winning percentage of any NHL team. Honestly, when was the last time we were not in the playoff hunt. And was Kenny our guy then?

Oh come on. Spend about 10 minutes at that board and you'll see what I'm talking about. ARice already put it forward: The MLive forums are nothing but arguing and Holland bashing. There is no actual conversation that goes on there, just arguing and saying Holland sucks.

#47 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(WingedWheelin06 @ February 21, 2007 - 11:26AM) View Post

According to TSN on the winter GM meetings:

''I have a better sense of the market now as I head home,'' said Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland. ''The prices remain too high. Whether or not we'll be willing to pay that price next Tuesday at the deadline remains to be seen.''

Keep in mind that the prices might indeed be too high. Years of trading away first-round draft picks have left us rather dry in that category, and as a direct result of that we also need our budding prospects. We can't afford to trade them away.

EDIT: We're all used to decades with the ability to splurge massively on players at the trade deadline, and again spend tremendously in the summer to replace anyone whom we might have traded. Keep in mind that the cap era has ended our ability to do this.

Edited by Crymson, 21 February 2007 - 03:53 PM.

#48 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:52 PM

In any event, it's all just a load of posturing before the trade season gets into full swing. Prices ought to come down as the deadline approaches; nobody wants their FAs to get away for nothing, and none of their suitors want to be swindled. Things even out...
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#49 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(Salviaman @ February 21, 2007 - 11:29AM) View Post

Its called if Holland doesnt do something to help this team in the playoffs we are out in the 1st round .... yet again.

Please get back in touch with reality. There are times when things CANNOT be done.

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 21, 2007 - 11:35AM) View Post

Can you give me the michigan milions numbers while you're at it? You can obviously forsee everything that is going to happen.

clap.gif I'd like them too, if you don't mind.

#50 Heaton

Heaton

Oh noez

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

If the asking price is still Hudler + 1st for Bill Guerin I'd pass as well. Especially since he'd want 4m+ next year anyway.
Moral victories are for losers.

#51 scotzman

scotzman

Ramblin' Scotzman

• PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ February 21, 2007 - 03:52PM) View Post

In any event, it's all just a load of posturing before the trade season gets into full swing. Prices ought to come down as the deadline approaches; nobody wants their FAs to get away for nothing, and none of their suitors want to be swindled. Things even out...

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif Exactly...

Kenny is going to do everything he can to bring someone in, but I am glad he is not willing to give up everything for these "rentals." There are a few select guys in the league that it would be worth getting while giving up picks and prospects and so far I am not seeing those players as available.

SwedeLundin77 - Love that Avatar! (and the movie)

Red Wing Fan since 1976

#52 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE(Drake_Marcus @ February 21, 2007 - 11:52AM) View Post

Woh woh there champ- let's be realistic here- the odds of correctly predicting the Wings exit are much, much higher then guessing that lottery number. At least give him a few hundred tries?

LOL. This was pretty good. I guess the chances of guessing the Wings` ultimate fate are about (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2) * (1/2), thus 1/16. Meanwhile, you'll more likely be mauled to death by a unicorn than win the lottery.

I also liked your one last night, along the lines of "wow, I didn't know you could write on this board from your cell phone."

#53 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

at this point, i'm hoping for some CHEAP rentals. Lapointe or Nolan would be fine with me.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#54 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ February 21, 2007 - 11:55AM) View Post

Exactly.

Like I said in one of the other threds, it was obvious in the summer what this team needed. Yet Holland waits until 7 other teams want the same thing and a bidding war has ensued, and a seller's market has been created. Then he lays this s*** on us.

No one was bidding over Guerin in the summer. He signed for peanuts.

$$$ saved up to re-sign Shanahan

Guerin was not so good last year. Please check into the reality hotel. Hindsight is 20/20.

QUOTE(shanahanman @ February 21, 2007 - 02:02PM) View Post

at this point, i'm hoping for some CHEAP rentals. Lapointe or Nolan would be fine with me.

Lapointe? Let's just wait for Johan Ryno. Nolan? I'd pay $1.1m for a hitting, scoring rental. Why not?

Edited by Crymson, 21 February 2007 - 04:03 PM.

#55 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

This boards is HILARIOUS. Must we give Holland a new thread for every quote of his??? READ WHAT THE REST OF THE LEAGUE GMS ARE SAYING!!!!!!!

Brian Burke - prices too high
Muckler - prices too high
JFJ - prices too high
Media on Jacques Martin - his making a rookie mistake, his prices are too high

...and these are just some of the guys.

People really need to realize that if the prices are through the roof, then the teams we will be facing in the 1st arent going to be getting any better than they are right now. The Wild, the Canucks, the Sharks, the stars, the ducks. Theres a rumor gaining steam that the canucks might get Jamie Heward. OOhh scary.

Edited by YoungGuns1340, 21 February 2007 - 04:05 PM.

It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(Mighty Wings @ February 21, 2007 - 12:04PM) View Post

Guerin, Smyth, Fatchuk et al are NOT Forsberg. Forsberg has, at times, been the best forward in the league and he is a proven playoff warrior. In contrast, the remaining high level forwards are all playoff disappointments (Guerin or Tkachuk with something like .5 pts per game in the playoffs) or haven't won anything

Au contraire, Forsberg's injury problems reduced his trade value significantly

QUOTE(YoungGuns1340 @ February 21, 2007 - 02:04PM) View Post

This boards is HILARIOUS. Must we give Holland a new thread for every quote of his??? READ WHAT THE REST OF THE LEAGUE GMS ARE SAYING!!!!!!!
Brian Burke - prices too high
Muckler - prices too high
JFJ - prices too high
Media on Jacques Martin - his making a rookie mistake, his prices are too high

...and these are just some of the guys.

People really need to realize that if the prices are through the roof, then the teams we will be facing in the 1st arent going to be getting any better than they are right now. The Wild, the Canucks, the Sharks, the stars, the ducks. Theres a rumor gaining steam that the canucks might get Jamie Heward. OOhh scary.

Two words: spoiled, unrealistic fans. Whoops--that's three words. Pick two.

#57 Mudvayneowns91

Mudvayneowns91

Colorado Wings guy

• PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ February 21, 2007 - 01:49PM) View Post

Oh come on. Spend about 10 minutes at that board and you'll see what I'm talking about. ARice already put it forward: The MLive forums are nothing but arguing and Holland bashing. There is no actual conversation that goes on there, just arguing and saying Holland sucks.

Calm down, I didn't want to argue. But I would like to know the last time we didn't make the playoffs and was Kenny part of that team.
Surfside 6! Who lives there? Surfside 6! Young bachelors? In Miami Beach.

#58 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Seriously guys. Burke has been cited many times saying he doesnt want to give up guys like GETZLAF, PERRY, and RYAN. Those guys are young and talented as all heck right now. If thats what theyre asking from Anaheim, then they're asking for Filppula, Kronwall, and Howard from us, not second rounders and mid-level prospects.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#59 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

QUOTE(esteef @ February 21, 2007 - 12:40PM) View Post

Guerin and Bert specifically aren't the problem. It's Holland knowing he needs a player of that ilk and still not getting one until everybody needs one is the complaint.
peace,
esteef

Shanahan was of that ilk. Guerin signed with the Blues on July 6th. Shanahan signed with the Rangers on July 9th.

Edited by Crymson, 21 February 2007 - 04:10 PM.

#60 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ February 21, 2007 - 03:04PM) View Post

$$$ saved up to re-sign Shanahan

Guerin was not so good last year. Please check into the reality hotel. Hindsight is 20/20.

Holy sh*t was that post loud! biggrin.gif
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).