• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Earthhuman

Developing a team in the Salary Cap Era

Rate this topic

So how does one obtain a pleth... an abundance of cheap-to-keep labor on the depth chart?

Only a precious few can do it reliably through savvy recruiting and scouting of seventeen-year-olds.

Ironically, the lesson being learned in recent weeks is that the shortcut to populating an organization's depth chart might just be signing an expensive name or two to one-year deals the previous summer... and let another team develop and identify the pick of the litter.

http://www.hockeyrodent.com/

To build up the farm, we need a rental guy. Although, we're definitely one of the organizations that can draft for a good team year after year.

whereas teams like colorado or philly, who couldn't manage a team to save their lives

And it shows! They are getting worse every season.

But I have to give credit to Anaheim for their drafting late every year, plus picking up late bloomers and the like.

we're definitely one of the best, if not the best, team in the nhl for finding talent in the draft. and we have, despite him being bashed on this site, a great gm. we've nothing to worry about.

i mean, look at our standards-cup, or nothing. who else has those standards? no one. not one team.

we'll be fine in the salary cap era. whereas teams like colorado or philly, who couldn't manage a team to save their lives, we'll be just fine.

are you kidding? every team plays the season to win the cup... i mean who in their right mind would have guessed that anaheim, calgary, and edmonton would have made it to the finals? thats why they play the games...

are you kidding? every team plays the season to win the cup... i mean who in their right mind would have guessed that anaheim, calgary, and edmonton would have made it to the finals? thats why they play the games...

While I don't agree with the other guy, often times teams set more realistic goals, like make the playoffs or advance to the conference finals... they take baby steps.

I would say that several teams have set the goal of winning the cup, though, it's arrogant to think we're unique in that way.

While I don't agree with the other guy, often times teams set more realistic goals, like make the playoffs or advance to the conference finals... they take baby steps.

I would say that several teams have set the goal of winning the cup, though, it's arrogant to think we're unique in that way.

eh hem... 2006 tigers... nuff said

Ok, i'm gonna go ahead and agree with what forsbergisafairy is saying....i think you other guys are just trying to play stupid. Ofcourse the ultimate goal for all teams in the nhl is to win the stanely cup....but a team like the penguins who will make the playoffs this year, will consider this a successful season because they made the playoffs....nevermind if they win the cup. If they win the cup, they will have exceeded their expectations this season. Just by making the playoffs, their head coach can bank on keeping his job the next couple years.

flip that around....

if the red wings didnt make the playoffs this year, we'd all be ranting for joe kocur to be named head coach (we need grit anywhere we can find it right?)

Now that isnt to say that no other teams management is saying that it is an absolute that their team brings home the cup. Teams like anaheim, nashville, san jose, detroit, buffalo, ottawa, new jersey, carolina, are probably all of the teams that comprise that list. However, since the early 90's.....which of all those teams can say that every year, winning the stanely cup was their realistic goal? And the fans of detroit can contest, its either cup or bust. Now right away you can wipe out anaheim, nashville, san jose, buffalo, ottawa, and carolina from that list because all of those teams have been cellar teams for many years (san jose not so much, just mediocre). Those years at the bottom has allowed them to aquire some great draft picks. Now in my opinion, its only detroit and new jersey who have remained the elite year after year. The avs and stars almost graized the list....alas they have had their struggles in the past and as of late.

so does that help clear up what the OP was trying to say? god, i swear half of this board is retarted sometimes.

god, i swear half of this board is retarted sometimes.

:clap:

HALF! ...only half?? I think that is one of the largest understatements I have seen in a long time. Between the grit slappies, the Holland sucks crowd, the various player hating bandwagons and the general unreasonable expectations I think that number is WAAAAY higher. I think fairyforsberg hit it right on the head...or the ankle as the case may be.

brutus

Edited by brutus