• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:31 AM

Alright, let's talk about likely playoff scenarios.

Scenario 1: Wings win the conference and must play (more than likely) Minnesota or Calgary.

Scenario 2: Wings lose the Central, take the 4 seed and (more than likely) play San Jose or Dallas.

IPB Image

Now, don't jump on me and say things like, "there are 21 games still left and standings could drastically change" or "it totally depends on who the Wings pick up (if they pick someone up) before the deadline" or even "it depends on whose hot coming down the stretch". Obviously all of these factors play a huge roll in who you would want to face in the first round. My question is simple, given the two scenarios I've posted about, and the limited knowledge we have with just under a quarter of the season remaining, what scenario do you feel will play itself out, and who would you feel most comfortable playing in the first round?

Please give me some dialect here people.........I can't take another "Who is Holland looking to add" thread.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#2 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

A few weeks ago I would have said no way in hell do we play anyone other than San Jose/Anaheim if we don't win the division. But both those teams sure have stunk it up as of late.
Those long east coast trips must take there toll just like when the Wings travel West for 4-5 game stretches.

Edit:
I think we'll win the division and play Minnesota in the first round. It sure would be nice to avoid the long travel early in the playoffs.

Edited by johnnyoski, 22 February 2007 - 10:44 AM.

#3 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

well im hoping we face the wilds or the stars ... they look the easiest teams from the other 1's ... i wouldnt want to play against kipper luongo they could be dangerous... if their on a hot streak

#4 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 22, 2007 - 09:37AM) View Post

A few weeks ago I would have said no way in hell do we play anyone other than San Jose/Anaheim if we don't win the division. But both those teams sure have stunk it up as of late.
Those long east coast trips must take there toll just like when the Wings travel West for 4-5 game stretches.

Unless the Wings blew the 1 or 4 seed, there would be no way possible that the Wings could play Anaheim in the first round.

Given Anaheim wins their division.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#5 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 22, 2007 - 10:41AM) View Post

Unless the Wings blew the 1 or 4 seed, there would be no way possible that the Wings could play Anaheim in the first round.

Given Anaheim wins their division.

Well when Anaheim was in their slump and the Sharks were playing well it looked like they could have possibly flipped positions.
Doesn't look very likely now though.

Edited by johnnyoski, 22 February 2007 - 10:43 AM.

#6 superstarsingh

superstarsingh

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:42 AM

I fear no team except for Edmonton

#7 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 22, 2007 - 09:42AM) View Post

Well when Anaheim was in their slump and the Sharks were playing well it looked like they could have possibly flipped positions.

Hence, "Given Anaheim wins their division"........which looks like it will in fact happen.

#8 wingsfan75

wingsfan75

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

Out of all the teams mentioned I'd take Minnesota. First of all because of the proximity to Michigan. Travel time wouldn't be much of an issue and neither would the one-hour difference in time. Minnesota isn't nearly as experienced in the playoffs which is a plus. We seem to play Minnesota well in the regular season. The only outstanding factor in my book is Manny Fernandez. Does he become the next goalie to stand on his head in the first round? Calgary and San Jose are too dangerous in the first round IMO. Dallas might not be a bad match up either but they are pretty experienced in the playoffs.
IPB Image

#9 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,861 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

It's always dangerous to wish for/choose an opponent, but...

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#10 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(wingsfan75 @ February 22, 2007 - 09:44AM) View Post

Out of all the teams mentioned I'd take Minnesota. First of all because of the proximity to Michigan. Travel time wouldn't be much of an issue and neither would the one-hour difference in time. Minnesota isn't nearly as experienced in the playoffs which is a plus. We seem to play Minnesota well in the regular season. The only outstanding factor in my book is Manny Fernandez. Does he become the next goalie to stand on his head in the first round? Calgary and San Jose are too dangerous in the first round IMO. Dallas might not be a bad match up either but they are pretty experienced in the playoffs.

But you know Turco would help the Wings, as he has every other team he's faced in the playoffs.

#11 wingsfan75

wingsfan75

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(Never Forget Mac #25 @ February 22, 2007 - 10:47AM) View Post

But you know Turco would help the Wings, as he has every other team he's faced in the playoffs.

I know that but I figured that was a no brainer. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

#12 johnnyoski

johnnyoski

Red Wing-Parrothead

• Silver Booster
  • 504 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 22, 2007 - 10:47AM) View Post

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.

Isn't there some crazy stat that Turco has never beaten the Wings?

#13 jerm8352

jerm8352

I am the GREATEST swordsman that ever lived!

• PipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:52 AM

The Red Wings will get beaten up by one of Calgary, Anaheim, or San Jose, or Nashville. I believe we can beat any teams except for those 4 barring a complete playoff meltdown (which happens all too often in Detroit.) Once we play one of the more physical teams listed above, we will never last an entire 7 game series.
I remember the good old days when LGW was worth going to and not full of blind homers who freak out just because someone thinks that the Wings aren't perfect.

#14 wingsfan75

wingsfan75

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 22, 2007 - 10:49AM) View Post

He's never beaten the Wings in a regulation game. He won once in a shootout I think.
IPB Image

#15 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 22, 2007 - 10:47AM) View Post

That's what I'm saying, I remember hoping for the Ducks and Edmonton, then I saw where that got the Wings. I kinda like the battles though. Sweeps and "easier" rounds are cool too, but I love watching the hard faught battles where it could go either way, and in the end if they make it, you know they truly deserve it. Plus it's just plain more entertaining.

#16 Wingsfan31

Wingsfan31

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:59 AM

I'd almost prefer to play a team that has secured their position before the last few games. The six through eight seeds have to fight and claw the last 20 games to make the post season and they seem to carry that over into the playoffs. They are likely teams that have been up and down all season, so they are more likely to buy into a team-oriented system that is boring, ugly and effective.

If you look at the last few post seasons, even including the Vancouver series in '02, all those teams hit game one with all cylinders running. The Wings took a game or two to get going and if they drop one at home, the pressure increases and the underdog gets to go home feeling good and in front of a raucous crowd. Let's face it, the Vancouver series could have been completely different if Lidstrom doesn't score from center ice and completely destroy Cloutier's confidence.

#17 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,554 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 22, 2007 - 07:47AM) View Post

I agree on all points.

Plus I feel like the West Coast has been kryptonite to the Red Wings. The longer they stay away, the better.

#18 bringback91

bringback91

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Wingsfan31 @ February 22, 2007 - 10:59AM) View Post

I'd almost prefer to play a team that has secured their position before the last few games. The six through eight seeds have to fight and claw the last 20 games to make the post season and they seem to carry that over into the playoffs. They are likely teams that have been up and down all season, so they are more likely to buy into a team-oriented system that is boring, ugly and effective.

If you look at the last few post seasons, even including the Vancouver series in '02, all those teams hit game one with all cylinders running. The Wings took a game or two to get going and if they drop one at home, the pressure increases and the underdog gets to go home feeling good and in front of a raucous crowd. Let's face it, the Vancouver series could have been completely different if Lidstrom doesn't score from center ice and completely destroy Cloutier's confidence.

Or Cheli containing Bert.

#19 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(johnnyoski @ February 22, 2007 - 10:49AM) View Post

Turco has never beaten the Wings in regulation, and Dallas/Minnesota have never beaten the Wings in a playoff series.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#20 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE(RyanBarnes! @ February 22, 2007 - 09:47AM) View Post

I agree 100% with that assessment.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.