• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NeverForgetMac25

Let's just assume.............

Rate this topic

It's always dangerous to wish for/choose an opponent, but...

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.

Absolutely agree with both.

I prefer those two over any in the first round, but really, no team scares me except the Sharks.

Detroit over San Jose in 6 games. If they are gonna do anything this post season they need to do it in round one and set the tone as the team to beat, not one that barely escapes the bottom seed and promptly gets pummeled in round two.

I'd almost prefer to play a team that has secured their position before the last few games. The six through eight seeds have to fight and claw the last 20 games to make the post season and they seem to carry that over into the playoffs. They are likely teams that have been up and down all season, so they are more likely to buy into a team-oriented system that is boring, ugly and effective.

If you look at the last few post seasons, even including the Vancouver series in '02, all those teams hit game one with all cylinders running. The Wings took a game or two to get going and if they drop one at home, the pressure increases and the underdog gets to go home feeling good and in front of a raucous crowd. Let's face it, the Vancouver series could have been completely different if Lidstrom doesn't score from center ice and completely destroy Cloutier's confidence.

That's the single most intelligent post I've read about the playoffs on this entire forum.

Scenario 1: Playing Minnesota or Calgary, which would mean the Wings would have to win the Conference vs. finishing #4.

Look, we all know the Wings have failed a few times, excluding 2002, when being #1.

I think those two would yield an easier first round matchup, which would unlikely happen if the Wings don't win the division. We know and I'm pretty sure the team knows that isn't the ultimate goal, but winning the division should be somewhere on the food chain. I don't want it to come though at the expense of the players overworking themselves and being gassed out before the 1st round even begins. If they don't win it, it won't kill me because even though I'd rather Minnesota/Calgary, no team that will probably be making the WC playoffs is playing out of their minds right now to where I absolutely do not want to face one team over another.

I'd love tp play dallas

Yeah, that'd be great. I could possibly get some playoff tickets.

I'd agree that we need to try and avoid San Jose/Anaheim as we've not fared well against either team this season. The one thing I will point out is that I think the fight for Central supremacy will help us tremendously. Last year we coasted down the final stretch and we just were not hungry enough. If it goes down to the wire (especially playing so many games against Nashville), we'll be better prepared.

It's always dangerous to wish for/choose an opponent, but...

Scenario 1. I'll take Minnesota. They play shut down hockey, but with Babcock's new system I think the Red Wings should be less vulnerable to that. Calgary plays a physical game and has a great goalie. For obvious reasons I'd like to avoid this combination.

Scenario 2. I'll take Dallas. Some might argue that it's Dallas turn, but history has a tendency to repeat itself and Detroit usually do well vs Dallas and Turco. San Jose has a big and strong team. They also have a mighty centre tandem in Thornton and Marleau.

I agree with the Dallas-part.

I want the Wings to play against more equal,tough opposition this year.

In the 2nd scenario one could say that both teams are "big". We wouldn't be huge favourites against neither of them,media would be writing "this is a close one". But a chance to be facing Turco in the playoffs is too good to be turned down.

In the 1st scenario the Wild would be underdogs,they could throw all at us with less pressure the Wings have to cope with. And that could lead into yet another same type of 1st round-loss.

Sure we'd be the favourites against Calgary too,but not by a mile.

So give me Calgary. (Though Alberta is a tough place to visit,much like the West Coast).

Edited by FinRedWing

I don't like the possibility of playing either the WIld or Calgary. The Wild have an unproven young goalie and a team very similar to what we've lost to every year since '02. Calgary is far away and the Wings don't play too well on the western coast (especially when that coast is in Canada).

That said, I like the Sharks less. They play on the Western coast and had a huge season last year. Once again they have an unproven goalie that could stand on his head (Toskala, although Nabakov is just as capable) and help a decent team in front of them. What scares me more is that they seem to run us every time we play. As for Dallas, you can't be sure it's going to be Turco in net for the entirety of the first round. Smith has played incredible and really brings something out of that team (Last years 6-3 loss, anybody?). They made a big trade for Nagy and that could help them as well.

Given a choice, I'd take a Turco-manned Dallas or Calgary.