• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Olympia Stadium Fan

JLA Crowd Lifeless?

Rate this topic

Red wings are a corporate team and the organization doesnt care, they are getting there money in september and the ticket is sold. As long as they are making money and the team is winning nearly every home game there is no need for them to even consider changing things. Yes i agree its like a library in there but the place is wild during the playoffs when real fans can by the tickets.

People around here have gotten use to the Wing's winning ways, so maybe that plays into it too. If more games were back and forth scoring battles, I feel the excitement would increase, but unfortunately we live in a city where they ice a very strong hockey team, and it shows in the standings each year.

THe last time I was at playoff game was back in 2002 against Colorado, and I remember the energy then was wild. So I am hoping at the very least, that the Joe get's hoppin' when the playoffs roll around.

I was going to say that was probably a big part of it. Fans now expect the team to win, so it's kinda boring.

I'm sure when the playoffs roll around, people will get pumped up. It's all about the Cup.

There is to much down time in American sports that people cant get into it. To many breaks in the action. Look at football. 10 seconds of a play then 30 seconds of a huddle or commercial break. Baseball is commercial break every half inning. People rarely truly get into the event they are at. Look at things like golf and tennis where you have to be silent 90% the time. Its just been ingrained in us Americans to sit and watch the game. Maybe throw out a quick jab at an opponent and cheer for 30 seconds after a goal. You want atmosphere at a sporting even then everyone needs to goto a soccer match in Europe or South America. Sadle Americans will never "enjoy" a sporting event like they do. Heck I went to the World Cup last summer and just pre-game gatherings and marching to the stadium have more atmosphere:

Through a train station

Through the streets

Of the major sports though hockey should be the one that keeps the most entertained just due to its speed and flow.

I fully agree about the atmosphere in a soccer game. I was in Munich the morning of a game between FC Bayern-Muenchen and some big out of town rival. It was right around Easter. Nine in the morning and cops were hauling away people in the central train station for excessive noise and intoxication. It was pretty insane, totally unlike anything I've seen in American sports.

I fully agree about the atmosphere in a soccer game. I was in Munich the morning of a game between FC Bayern-Muenchen and some big out of town rival. It was right around Easter. Nine in the morning and cops were hauling away people in the central train station for excessive noise and intoxication. It was pretty insane, totally unlike anything I've seen in American sports.

You apparently have never been tailgating at Michigan State.

If you want a good atmopshere in the US for a game, be it football, hockey, basketball, or whatever, you need to go to a college game.

If you want a good atmopshere in the US for a game, be it football, hockey, basketball, or whatever, you need to go to a college game.

Ah yes...good old college football. Maybe you Michigan fans dont think so because your idea of tailgating is wine and cheese tasting :P but really is the best atmosphere in American sports. I never come from an Ohio State game with a voice or an ounce of energy left.

JLA disappoints me, I get to go to one, maybe two games a year, and nobody seems to give a s*** unless its a particularly exciting game. The playoff games I've been to on the other hand, were a different story altogether.

EDIT: I should point out that the atmosphere at Michigan hockey games is amazing, just the football crowd sucks.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

There is definitely something to the winning=fan complacency theory. When Michigan State hockey was so great and had been great for 20 years in the Ron Mason era (1982-2002), I went to some games in 2000-2002 when Ryan Miller was in goal. MSU has incredible teams, and sold out all the time, but the building was quiet. Enter Rick Comley, 3 years of mediocrity (2003-2005), and the building emptied out and MSU hockey fell off the map. Now that the program has regenerated itself (minus last week's disaster), several things have happened.

1. Many of the old foggies gave up their season tickets between 2002 and 2005.

2. Games no longer always sell out, but

3. as students and non season-ticket holders could hardly ever get a walk up ticket back in the day, now they can

The walk up fans decided they wanted to go to the game that night, not four months before. I think that has a result on how enthusiastic the crowds are. Munn was notoriously silent 5 years ago, and was admittedly awful in that pathetic showing against Western on Saturday. But Munn Arena has never been louder than when MSU has played well this year, even in non-sellouts. It's not crazy like Yost, but at least you could take a 5 year old without him/her learning new four letter words either.

There is to much down time in American sports that people cant get into it. To many breaks in the action. Look at football. 10 seconds of a play then 30 seconds of a huddle or commercial break. Baseball is commercial break every half inning. People rarely truly get into the event they are at. Look at things like golf and tennis where you have to be silent 90% the time. Its just been ingrained in us Americans to sit and watch the game. Maybe throw out a quick jab at an opponent and cheer for 30 seconds after a goal. You want atmosphere at a sporting even then everyone needs to goto a soccer match in Europe or South America. Sadle Americans will never "enjoy" a sporting event like they do. Heck I went to the World Cup last summer and just pre-game gatherings and marching to the stadium have more atmosphere:

Through a train station

Through the streets

Of the major sports though hockey should be the one that keeps the most entertained just due to its speed and flow.

It's just not at Soccer games outside of America. It's at Hockey games, Handball games, Basketball games, Cricket matches, Badminton matchs.

Hockey games across the pond.

]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W9L5hQfbIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkVxZ9JHC98

Edited by Jwo

I blame the high price of beer. I have never been to a game a the Joe, but im sure it is like every other sporting event in the country and far too expensive. The higher the blood/alcohol level = louder fans. Simple equation. :cool:

Got a point there. I've gone to school at Ferris and Oakland Universities, not at all huge campuses, and never attended a game at one of the bigger schools. The only time I was ever in Ann Arbor, for example, was when I played youth hockey and our division finals were down there. The crowd was... rather small, as you can imagine. I don't really pay attention to college sports. There were nights, however, when the FSU crowd outdid the Joe at their hockey games. It's just too bad that when I was out there, they played goon hockey that'd have made Philly green with envy. I think they had twice as many checking-from-behind penalties that year as any other team in the CCHA. :rolleyes:

I still say there's nothing like an entire million+ metropolis going s***-wild over a soccer game, though. The chaos was so great, my tour bus never made it to our pickup and we had to miss out on Neuschwannstein. I didn't even know what the hell was going on and I enjoyed myself. They were so drunk I probably could've gotten them doing Wings chants. :D

Edited by Feldmarschall

I blame the high price of beer. I have never been to a game a the Joe, but im sure it is like every other sporting event in the country and far too expensive. The higher the blood/alcohol level = louder fans. Simple equation. :cool:

Oh trust me...there's plenty of beers sold at the Joe. And you should see the Daquari line.

Sorry, I'm one of the more boring fans.

I've never been one to really tailgate for hours on end before again and I don't drink a lot of beers at a game.

I'll react to plays in the heat of the moment but I don't ***** for 3 straight minutes about a questionable call or rant at the players. I rarely yell and usually stay calm and quiet even if it's a playoff game, I don't get rowdy or obnoxious, and I'm not a cheerleader.

That doesn't make me any less of a fan. I'm still interested in the Wings, I came up a good ways to see 2 games live in December, I rarely miss games on TV on NHL Center Ice. So don't get on a high horse saying I'm not being a "real" fan.

Loud crowds are great, I'm not going to lie and I'm definitely not going to be a jerk and stop others from having fun being loud, but I'm sorry, that's just not who I am unless 50 beers are in my system.

I watch games for the action on the ice/court/field, not the crowd, even though watching a good crowd is a bonus.