• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mighty Wings

The prices for rentals are incomprehensible.

Rate this topic

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnists...22/3653557.html

For Gary Freakin Roberts:

Florida is looking for either centre Antoine Vermette or winger Patrick Eaves, along with Ottawa's top pick in 2007 in exchange for the 40-year-old Roberts.

The Senators have also held talks with the St. Louis about winger Bill Guerin, but the asking price there is the same: A young player who can help right away and a No. 1 pick or two No. 1 picks.

NHL insiders believe asking prices will go down as the deadline gets closer.

Guest Crymson

No s***, what a joke.

My prediction? The prices will come crashing down on the 26th or 27th, as sellers realize that no team GM will smoke the amount of crack necessary to accede to stated rentals` costs, and that they'll that they will gain utter dick before the trade deadline and see their trade-deadline prospects become UFAs this summer.

Edited by Crymson

The other rumor is Toronto would have to give up Alex Steen for Roberts. While Steen is in the midst of a sophmore slump like no other, he's definitly worth more than Roberts. Jacques Martin needs to really get his head checked if he thinks a 40 year old with injury problems will really land him young prospects like Steen or Patrick Eaves.

Price for Gary Roberts will definitely come down, however, I dont believe it will for Guerin. Tkachuk maybe a little bit. And why should it? They are easily the two most sought after guys, when push comes to shove somebody will put up. Theres nobody else out there who can be a difference maker like those 2, aside from Bertuzzi who's a huge risk.

LOL Blues want two #1 draft picks for Guerin...are they serious.

A team with young talent like Pittsburgh would probably take them up on that offer.

Only if their GM is an *******.

Why? Pittsburgh is probably the one team that can give up draft picks and not even have it be a big deal to them. Theyre already loaded with young talent. A veteran gritty scorer like Guerin is exactly what they need.

(and a defenseman obviously!)

Edited by Lou_Siffer

<_<

Two weeks ago the Toronto Sun reported that Florida was asking for a 2nd pick for Roberts,but would settle for a 3rd.

I started a thread stating he would be a valuable playoff rental for the price,but the majority scoffed at the notion.That may have been the steal of the season,if it were true.

Why? Pittsburgh is probably the one team that can give up draft picks and not even have it be a big deal to them. Theyre already loaded with young talent. A veteran gritty scorer like Guerin is exactly what they need.

(and a defenseman obviously!)

It's not like their team's been built on great scouting. Crosby, Malkin, Staal are all top picks from tanking so completely and totally. What kinda stupid would they be to throw away the next generation on a team that probably isn't good enough to get there anyways?

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

It's not like their team's been built on great scouting. Crosby, Malkin, Staal are all top picks from tanking so completely and totally. What kinda stupid would they be to throw away the next generation on a team that probably isn't good enough to get there anyways?

If they were to get Guerin and a defenseman, i dont think its out of the question. They'd have a shot. Theyve now reached the point where their draft picks are much less valuable, not only because of their young talent depth, but just based on pick position as well. Theyve got their core for years to come, nows the time to look outside through trading and free agency to put the rest of the pieces together. Them giving up 2 1st rounders isnt life or death like it would be for most other teams. Ideally i'd rather make that a 1st and 2nd along with a player instead though.

I still like my idea of Pitt going for the gusto and getting both Guerin and Brewer. Maybe getting the package would get them more of a discount.

Kinda like buying one shirt and getting the second half off...you know?

For a team that basically has relied on their awfulness to get them where they are, dealing away first rounders like that is a recipe for disaster in the future. Detroit has been so good for so long because they can pull Datsyuks and Zetterbergs out of the late rounds and then put their picks towards rentals. Of course there are other factors like payroll, but drafting is at the heart of it--the better you are, the more you can spend.

And I guess we just disagree on the state of Pittsburgh's playoff chances--too young, don't think one defensemen will be enough to pull them out of their defensive dulldrums.

Guest Tunbo Batman

thats why holland waits until 0.0000000000000018 seconds before the trade deadline : so he's not caught in a stupid deal like this. instead of wasting multiple 1st-rounders away for an unreliable guy who won't even play for you (get the reference?), he's gonna meke something reasonable at the last minute.

Guest Crymson

I wonder what he's asking for bertuzzi?

He's probably asking a chicken dinner now, because Bertuzzi ain't gonna be back before the trade deadline.

Edited by Crymson