Photo
- - - - -

The prices for rentals are incomprehensible.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lou_Siffer

Lou_Siffer

1 more win and im diggin' in!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE(Heroes of Hockeytown @ February 22, 2007 - 07:39PM) View Post

It's not like their team's been built on great scouting. Crosby, Malkin, Staal are all top picks from tanking so completely and totally. What kinda stupid would they be to throw away the next generation on a team that probably isn't good enough to get there anyways?

If they were to get Guerin and a defenseman, i dont think its out of the question. They'd have a shot. Theyve now reached the point where their draft picks are much less valuable, not only because of their young talent depth, but just based on pick position as well. Theyve got their core for years to come, nows the time to look outside through trading and free agency to put the rest of the pieces together. Them giving up 2 1st rounders isnt life or death like it would be for most other teams. Ideally i'd rather make that a 1st and 2nd along with a player instead though.

I still like my idea of Pitt going for the gusto and getting both Guerin and Brewer. Maybe getting the package would get them more of a discount.

Kinda like buying one shirt and getting the second half off...you know?
Aaron Downey tally = 4 Wins (Mclaren, PARROS, *Laperriere*, Wisniewski) - 1 L (**Boll**) - 5 Draws (Walker, Fedoruk, Davison, Shelley, O'Donnell)

(* = beatdown) (** = at the end of a shift)

Preseason prediction - Anaheim over Philadelphia in 6 (ok, well i'll settle for one right...)

#22 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

For a team that basically has relied on their awfulness to get them where they are, dealing away first rounders like that is a recipe for disaster in the future. Detroit has been so good for so long because they can pull Datsyuks and Zetterbergs out of the late rounds and then put their picks towards rentals. Of course there are other factors like payroll, but drafting is at the heart of it--the better you are, the more you can spend.

And I guess we just disagree on the state of Pittsburgh's playoff chances--too young, don't think one defensemen will be enough to pull them out of their defensive dulldrums.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#23 Tunbo Batman

Tunbo Batman

1st Line All-Star

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:28 PM

thats why holland waits until 0.0000000000000018 seconds before the trade deadline : so he's not caught in a stupid deal like this. instead of wasting multiple 1st-rounders away for an unreliable guy who won't even play for you (get the reference?), he's gonna meke something reasonable at the last minute.

#24 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(detroit313 @ February 22, 2007 - 05:18PM) View Post

I wonder what he's asking for bertuzzi?

He's probably asking a chicken dinner now, because Bertuzzi ain't gonna be back before the trade deadline.

Edited by Crymson, 22 February 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#25 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE(Crymson @ February 22, 2007 - 10:31PM) View Post

He's probably asking a chicken dinner now, because Bertuzzi ain't gonna be back before the trade deadline.

FINALLY! That Williams for anything-good trade might pan out biggrin.gif
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft