• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drsingle

The Shadow of the Winged Wheel

Rate this topic

not a bad article.

a lil preds bias, but i really like to see that. cus any fan of any team that talks about others with a little "you other guys suck" here and there, doesn't really care all that much.

this rivalry could turn into a great one. i hope it does.

its going to come down to these two for the pres trophy.

for all intents and purposes, i hope the preds take it. time to see the wings come from 4th in the conference and see what happens.

best of luck to the preds as well. they have an insanely telented club.

not a bad article.

a lil preds bias, but i really like to see that. cus any fan of any team that talks about others with a little "you other guys suck" here and there, doesn't really care all that much.

this rivalry could turn into a great one. i hope it does.

its going to come down to these two for the pres trophy.

for all intents and purposes, i hope the preds take it. time to see the wings come from 4th in the conference and see what happens.

best of luck to the preds as well. they have an insanely telented club.

What about Buffalo?

What about Buffalo?

I agree. I don't think that either the Wings or the Predators will take it because in the remaining games against each other, they will wear the other down to the extent that they struggle in other games. I think Buffalo will have a strong run and win the President's Trophy.

I only see a standings rivalry. Not a team rivarly.

Maybe it's a big thing for the little brother(Preds) but not for the big brother(Wings)

I didn't think it was much of a rivalry until I gave some guy crap for wearing a Preds jersey (in good humor, of course) at a local restaurant. I still find myself reluctant to consider the Preds "rivals," in the truest sense, but that's because I just don't like to admit that they've got a good enough team to take the greater half of these remaining games, if they work hard. We need more playoff series against each other to fully cement the thing.

no offense, but i'd trade the preds for the maple leafs any day of the week. hard for me to get into this whole "big rivalry" thing with a team that struggles to put fans in the seats and is rumored to have an iffy future in the league.

bettman has done his best to force-fed this "rivalry" onto the wings, one of the original 6 teams. disgusting. insulting.

Edited by sWINGED

Maybe it's a big thing for the little brother(Preds) but not for the big brother(Wings)

Yeah, I agree. This is a forced rivalry (which someone said previously), which isn't that interesting.

It's kinda like the Michigan vs. Illinois rivalry. Illinois considers Michigan a primary rival, but Michigan could care less.

Yeah, I agree. This is a forced rivalry (which someone said previously), which isn't that interesting.

It's kinda like the Michigan vs. Illinois rivalry. Illinois considers Michigan a primary rival, but Michigan could care less.

Illinois considers us their main rival because of the Illibuck Turtle....it was our main rival...back in the 20s.

Heck, dare I say it, Colorado isn't much of a rivalry anymore, at least since Roy retired. They're still OUT of the playoffs.

Being forced Nashville isn't a rivalry. Rivalry is made by bad blood, not by s***ty schedules from a s***tier Commissioner.

I feel like I should point that the Wings-Preds playoff matchup was in the 03-04 season and the lockout was the 04-05 season. Besides those mistakes, good article.

Thanks for spotting those errors. I have made the appropriate corrections.

I will be sick if we form a rivalry with Nashville. This is the most forced rivalry ever and it's not even a good one...

Is it a rivalry, or not?

Well, it's pretty obvious that from Nashville's standpoint it is. It's also pretty obvious that many of the posters at LGW are coming around to the notion that it is as well. You all know that I've been on these boards a long time, and I've noticed that there is an ever increasing air of excitement on this board when these two teams play. Legionnaire, fifthandbroadway, and I contribute some to that by being regular posters who happen to be Preds fans. However, that excitement is showing on both sides now. That said, I do expect that the more you consider it a rivalry as a Detroit fan, the younger you are- and that's OK.

The other aspect is this "forced" rivalry notion. I understand this concept as being introduced by the addition of the extra two games against each divisional opponent. In theory, it wasn't too bad of a concept with the exception of losing the games against the eastern conference. I do understand why it was tried, and don't consider it foolish to have done so. There's nothing wrong with trying to have an exciting regular season and post season. It's shaping up to work nicely this year with Detroit and Nashville.

After saying that, I still would prefer to go back to the original schedule just prior to the lockout. However, most discussions I see on this topic are along the lines of "I don't want to see <team x> eight times in the regular season." Unless you're a relatively new hockey fan, that argument doesn't make much sense. Back in '67 there were 12 teams and 74 games played- how many times did one play a divisional opponent?

Again, I prefer the pre-lockout schedule as well in order to play every team. However, if your sole argument is that eight games against one team is too much, it seems to be a flawed argument- especially if you also favor contraction because I can guarantee the number of games will not lower.

Thanks again for all of the comments.

David

Edited by drsingle

i certainly don't consider the Preds a rival yet..

to me they're just another team who likes to think they're as good as us. Good old Bettman and his manufactured rilvaries. If we meet in the playoffs and have a good even series, then i may be tempted to call it a rilvary, not yet though.

i guess that Predsnation website is a good example of the Preds...good for a while but fails in the end. I can't read the article atm because the website is down

Edited by Cicada

i certainly don't consider the Preds a rival yet..

to me they're just another team who likes to think they're as good as us. Good old Bettman and his manufactured rilvaries. If we meet in the playoffs and have a good even series, then i may be tempted to call it a rilvary, not yet though.

i guess that Predsnation website is a good example of the Preds...good for a while but fails in the end. I can't read the article atm because the website is down

You know what the problem here is? It's the way some posters here treat Preds fans and their organization as a whole. They simply dismiss them as the little brother that isn't good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as the all-mighty Detroit. It's extremely arrogant.

I agree that I don't feel the rivalry towards Nashville that it seems the Preds fans feel towards the Wings, but I won't sit here and make comments such as "just another team who likes to think they're as good as us" or "i guess that Predsnation website is a good example of the Preds...good for a while but fails in the end". It's comments like these that give Red Wings fans a bad reputation as having a superiority complex. God forbid, the Preds are actually tied for points with the almighty Detroit Red Wings! God forbid the Preds have led the division for the good majority of the season! God forbid the Preds actually have a legit shot of winning their first divisional (and conference) title this year!

That being said, this already has turned into a good standings rivalry, and could possibly turn into a true all-around rivalry if the Wings meet up with the Preds in the playoffs, which could happen in round 2. Just because people don't view the Preds as a Colorado type rivalry, doesn't mean there is no rivalry whatsoever.

The Wings are a great team, and if you ask most of the Preds fans, they'll give the Wings the respect they deserve. Isn't it time we give some back? :sly:

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I definitely think the Preds are a team worthy of a rivalry, and they're the closest thing we have to a real one right now...but it's not a RIVALRY yet, if you know what I mean.

Hence my standings rivlary comment, with the chance of becoming a true all-around rival! :sly: