• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GuloGulo

Big Brawl in Buffalo (vs Ottawa)

Rate this topic

Buffalo, being at home, had last change.

Brian Murray should have known what was coming next. And yes, I would have targeted Spezza and Heatley, also. Comparing what Ruff did to Quenville is just idiotic, norrisnick. I expected better from you.

Ahhh the code. You cannot headhunt skill players without repercussions. It's all starting to boil over and the players are starting to police themselves, F**k bettman and campbell, they can shove that instigator penalty up their ass.

Look at how much interest this has generated, and how much fun it is, you can never take it away.

Good times!

Why should they get suspended? As far as i know, its just the game misconduct and thats it.

Ray Emery is probably the toughest goalie in the league, so i cant blame Peters for going after him,...as Emery vs Biron is the equivalent of McGrattan fighting someone like Briere. Gotta love the way Buffalo and Ruff in particular stood up for Drury. Thats the mark of a team thats united.

Not a chance, Cloutier would beat his ass in a heartbeat. and if he was still in the league I would have to say Felix Potvin would beat Emery in a fight aswell. He didn't even make Biron bleed, and Biron has never fought ever that I know of.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Especially with it being as close as it was.

Here's my 2 cents and then some on the whole thing:

1. Neil's hit was fine by me. Maybe a tad too late but you are talking milliseconds here. His elbow was not up as some would like us to believe. His elbow went up after the hit on the follow thru, it never made contact with Drury's head. As for whether or not its headhunting. ehhh, I dunno. You go on to lay a pop on a guy, sometimes you get him shoulder to shoulder, sometimes shoulder to chin. Neil's a tough guy and he likes to hit but I can't say unequivocally that he intended to headhunt Drury.

2. Minus to Drury for admiring his shot and not keeping his head up. D'oh.

3. Plus to Stafford for trying to do something.

4. Minus to Mair for cold cocking Spezza in the side of the face.

5. Props to Peters for showing some self control (I freaking stunned by this) and not teeing off on Heatley and basically just trying to keep anyone from messing his guys up.

6. A slight minus to Peters for going after Emery. I don't care if Emery is Evander Holyfield, goalies fight goalies, not skaters. I know Emery fought Josh Gratton in the minors but I don't care. I don't want to see Peters or Boogaard teeing off on Hasek or Osgood. Emery is tougher than those guys but c'mon. Goalies can barely move enough with all that s*** on to even fight at all and to have to do it against an enforcer. I didn't like to see that.

6. Props to Emery for not pounding on Biron when he basically could have beaten the s*** out of him.

7. A plus and a minus to Ruff. Ruff did the right thing by sticking out his guys to send a message but the timing I don't like at all. Ruff has the final change, he saw who was out there and he lost control of himself. Peters has no problem fighting Neil. That should've been the bout and Ruff should've waited. He sent out his loose cannons and they took advantage of the situation. IMO, a hit on your star player can be answered by a hit on the other team's star or by challenging the hitter to a fight. Sending out your fighters to pound on the other team's stars is NOT the same as what Neil did. It is not code to whallop on guys you know you can. The code says you respond but sorry Buffalo apologists, there's a right way to respond and a wrong way. That sort of thinking would mean it'd be ok for McGratton to come out on Saturday and attack Briere. We all know that's BS. Ruff had the right idea but he should've saved it for the appropriate time. Retribution does not have to be dealt on the very next ******* shift. The Wings waited almost a year to get retribution. Last night was a clear indication that Ruff let his emotions get control over him and he made a bad decision.

8. Minus to Murray for absolutely putting out the worst line he could've after that hit. Murray's been around long enough to know better. IMO, he should've put out Fisher and Kelly. The D pair of Phillips and Volchenkov was fine but Comrie, Spezza, Heatley.....sorry, that's just dumb.

IMO, I don't think anybody should be suspended. s*** happens. I guarantee though that on Saturday McGratton will be in and he won't go and fight Danny Briere or Jason Pominville. He'll go looking for Mair and Peters. That's the right way to do it. There's nothing wrong with sticking up for your stars and trying to get at the other team's stars. But them laying a clean (sorry, no penalty warranted on that hit folks) hit on your star and you then fighting their stars is not equal. That's overboard.

Don't underestimate the Wings' ability to retaliate, harold. I think it's pretty safe to say that they would have some VERY choice words to say about something like that in the postgame presser.

Don't forget either, that our 19th ranked power play is our retaliation.

Here's my 2 cents and then some on the whole thing:

1. Neil's hit was fine by me. Maybe a tad too late but you are talking milliseconds here. His elbow was not up as some would like us to believe. His elbow went up after the hit on the follow thru, it never made contact with Drury's head. As for whether or not its headhunting. ehhh, I dunno. You go on to lay a pop on a guy, sometimes you get him shoulder to shoulder, sometimes shoulder to chin. Neil's a tough guy and he likes to hit but I can't say unequivocally that he intended to headhunt Drury.

2. Minus to Drury for admiring his shot and not keeping his head up. D'oh.

3. Plus to Stafford for trying to do something.

4. Minus to Mair for cold cocking Spezza in the side of the face.

5. Props to Peters for showing some self control (I freaking stunned by this) and not teeing off on Heatley and basically just trying to keep anyone from messing his guys up.

6. A slight minus to Peters for going after Emery. I don't care if Emery is Evander Holyfield, goalies fight goalies, not skaters. I know Emery fought Josh Gratton in the minors but I don't care. I don't want to see Peters or Boogaard teeing off on Hasek or Osgood. Emery is tougher than those guys but c'mon. Goalies can barely move enough with all that s*** on to even fight at all and to have to do it against an enforcer. I didn't like to see that.

6. Props to Emery for not pounding on Biron when he basically could have beaten the s*** out of him.

7. A plus and a minus to Ruff. Ruff did the right thing by sticking out his guys to send a message but the timing I don't like at all. Ruff has the final change, he saw who was out there and he lost control of himself. Peters has no problem fighting Neil. That should've been the bout and Ruff should've waited. He sent out his loose cannons and they took advantage of the situation. IMO, a hit on your star player can be answered by a hit on the other team's star or by challenging the hitter to a fight. Sending out your fighters to pound on the other team's stars is NOT the same as what Neil did. It is not code to whallop on guys you know you can. The code says you respond but sorry Buffalo apologists, there's a right way to respond and a wrong way. That sort of thinking would mean it'd be ok for McGratton to come out on Saturday and attack Briere. We all know that's BS. Ruff had the right idea but he should've saved it for the appropriate time. Retribution does not have to be dealt on the very next ******* shift. The Wings waited almost a year to get retribution. Last night was a clear indication that Ruff let his emotions get control over him and he made a bad decision.

8. Minus to Murray for absolutely putting out the worst line he could've after that hit. Murray's been around long enough to know better. IMO, he should've put out Fisher and Kelly. The D pair of Phillips and Volchenkov was fine but Comrie, Spezza, Heatley.....sorry, that's just dumb.

IMO, I don't think anybody should be suspended. s*** happens. I guarantee though that on Saturday McGratton will be in and he won't go and fight Danny Briere or Jason Pominville. He'll go looking for Mair and Peters. That's the right way to do it. There's nothing wrong with sticking up for your stars and trying to get at the other team's stars. But them laying a clean (sorry, no penalty warranted on that hit folks) hit on your star and you then fighting their stars is not equal. That's overboard.

This is a really, really great post.

David

You're telling me that the immediate shift after a team's captain is KO'd, followed by a fight, that you're gonna risk retaliation? Wow, that's just dumb...

The Sabres would've retaliated on the 1st shift after the incident or later in the game. To think otherwise is just dumb.

Neil didn't even get a penalty for the hit. Like it was just pointed out it was a blind shoulder to the face.

Thanks tips i know that, i just wrote about that above go read it :sly:

Brian Murray should have known what was coming next. And yes, I would have targeted Spezza and Heatley, also. Comparing what Ruff did to Quenville is just idiotic, norrisnick. I expected better from you.

Your making no sense, what are the rest of the star players just suppost to sit on the bench the rest of the game :thumbdown: ... NN said that it was Neil who hit Druy not the stars on the Sens therefore Peters couldn't of waited next shift to drop the gloves with Neil

When did I ever say the star players should sit the bench? Did you read my post? How about any of these posts?

You hit their star player, they go after yours. Is that ethical? Probably not, but I think everyone should have seen that coming.

Glad Chris Neil won't play against Detroit during the regular season.

Not a chance, Cloutier would beat his ass in a heartbeat. and if he was still in the league I would have to say Felix Potvin would beat Emery in a fight aswell. He didn't even make Biron bleed, and Biron has never fought ever that I know of.

Surely you know nothing abour Ray Emery and his LOVE for fighting. CLoutier and him would be a good titl...but POTVIN? he won a fight...big deal. Emery held on against Andrew Peters even though he was all tangled up...

OK, I finally got to see the clips. Here are my thoughts:

1. The hit was clearly dirty! I don’t care if no penalty was given, I agree with Harold; Neil intentionally hit Drury in the head with his shoulder (he was head hunting). Add the fact that he came from Drury’s blind side and that the puck was no where near Drury, and you have a viciously dirty hit.

2. NN and Lou both made valid points, but ultimately I don’t have a problem with how Buffalo handled it. My feeling is if Ottawa doesn’t want teams going after their star players, then don’t go after theirs. That’s why I view this situation differently than what Quenville did in St. Louis

3. I disagree with anybody who thinks Murray was right in sending out his star players after that happened. As a coach who has been around as long as he has, I’d think he’d have more common sense.

4. Regardless on who was right or wrong, who should be punished (or not), or whether they followed “the code†(or not), what a game! Could you hear the fans going nuts while that was happening? I’d say they were pretty entertained for their money.

The fight is the main story at The Hockey News web site and Yahoo's nhl web page, as well as the only sports story in Yahoo's news headlines (as of 10:20 am). It's the main story at TSN, in the top headlines at ESPN and it's first two video's, (highlight then Ruff/ Murray) after their sportscenter minute.

Not one mentions it as a gross display of violence, or condemn it in any way.

Yet it is no where to be found on NHL.com's main page, yep myNHL, they know what fans want!

Looked to me as if it was Biron that came out of the net first to challenge Emery.

Emery could have given Biron a much worse beating. Once he punched him to the ground he stopped throwing them and actually let him get back up. That's when Peters jumped in and Emery had to fight again, laughing the whole time.

Poor code by Peters. Not only is it a no-no to fight a goalie, Emery had just gotten done with a fight.

If Emery didn't have all the goalie gear on I think Peters would have gotten the same beating as Biron.

These teams play again Saturday. Could be real interesting.

OK, I finally got to see the clips. Here are my thoughts:

1. The hit was clearly dirty! I don’t care if no penalty was given, I agree with Harold; Neil intentionally hit Drury in the head with his shoulder (he was head hunting). Add the fact that he came from Drury’s blind side and that the puck was no where near Drury, and you have a viciously dirty hit.

The hit was perfectly clean, there shouldn't even be a discussion on it.

hit was LATE. which is bull. it keeps happening. and always from ass holes like neil. league needs to stop it.

doesn't matter if its an elbow or shoulder or stick or helmet. if its late, its LATE. drury took 3 strides and the puck was gone and then got labeled. bull.

yeah putting goons out against the sens scoring line was a little suspect, but what the hell do you do. you dont wait 10 mins then send a message. you do it NOW and settle it. murray was just stupid in that respect.

overall, good for hockey and good for the game (minus the hit, hope drury is OK).

most buzz ive seen around the sport in weeks or MONTHS??? :crazy:

and i love to hate emery. i think some of you get what i mean.

"The hit was perfectly clean, there shouldn't even be a discussion on it."

i have to disagree.

are we to expect every single player in the league to be looking in all directions at all times no matter what the situation? he wasn't admiring the pass he was watching the puck in hopes of a pass as he was rushing to the net. its like boarding. you don't expect a player to be able to take that hit or protect himself because he CAN'T FRIGGIN see it coming! just my two sense, but this not unlike the hit on willy or franzen.

at least buffaloe had the stones and players to send a message.

Edited by sergei_is_still_a_wing

I agree that the elbow was down, but that the hit was both head-hunting and LATE.

It's all the talk here in Buffalo, for obvious reasons.

Imagine it were Lidstrom or Zetterberg... do we go on to lose like we did in Philly? Buffalo played well. Wish I hadn't have turned in after the Sens took a 2-0 lead.

hit was LATE. which is bull. it keeps happening. and always from ass holes like neil. league needs to stop it.

doesn't matter if its an elbow or shoulder or stick or helmet. if its late, its LATE. drury took 3 strides and the puck was gone and then got labeled. bull.

For the record, I'd absoultely love to have Neil on the Wings.

Can I ask a question? How on earth do you come up with a comment that Drury took 3 strides and then got hit????? Is this based on watching the play, or what you envision in your own mind? Drury didn't take even one stride, he released the puck, admired the shot as he "glided" and got hit. If you watch the clock, he was hit less than half a second after releasing the puck.

are we to expect every single player in the league to be looking in all directions at all times no matter what the situation?

Pretty much...obviously within reason, but if you are in the high slot area (open ice), you better be aware of your surroundings and not focused on looking at the puck.

By the way, here is a hit where Kariya does take 2-3 steps. This hit was deemed perfectly clean as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqNXH35IXY

The hit was perfectly clean, there shouldn't even be a discussion on it.

There shouldn't be any discussion when an enforcer blind sides a star player with a shoulder to the head?

That was very entertaining... But gosh darnnit I am pissed at Emery beyond all belief.

That f-ing bastard is most likely going to be out for awhile longer now. Doesn't he know this is coming up to fantasy hockey playoffs and well he just came off of a suspension... He is draggin my team down.

All in all... nice to see that big ol' healthy smile on his face.

Suck that drury felt the need to admire his play... this could of all been avioded. Hope he gets healthy soon... and re-evaluates the need to looky look at his shots for so long.

Edited by OsGOD