• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Never_Retire_Steve

Hasek

Rate this topic

Yeah, it's too bad that you had to go through years of watching him make an ass of your team when he was in Buffalo.

Go back to the Island, *****.

That was pretty much an unnessecary comment, especially when you're saying it to someone who's a good, respected, poster here who doesn't start anything, nor bother anyone.

Seriously, when anyone here can do anything, including play hockey as well as Hasek, then you can second guess him. Probably not until then, however.

That's a ridiculous assertion, loo. None of us here have half the skill of even Jason Williams but we've got a three page thread about how awful he is, and rightfully so--he's awful. He makes poor decisions and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

In this case, Hasek made a poor decision, but he's still human and still one of the best goalies in the NHL, so why fret?

My god, this guy has to stop coming out 50 feet from his net. He scares the s*** out of me whenever he goes on one of his adventures. Watching tonight's game was absolutely awful and caused a landmark win streak to end.

I love what Babcock has said (not exact quote): "The streak has ended, so we can concentrate on playing hockey, finally."

Funny thing, how people can mistake strength for weakness. If a goalie plays "arrogant" and "overconfident" like Hasek and knows how to get away with it, it often gets under the skin of the other players, they say to themselves "dang, we should have been able to score on such and such ... and we couldnt.

On the other hand, at 42 Hasek certainly cannot be in his prime. So experience must take over when speak is lacking. :cool: And so far IMO Hasek has been able to do that. Give or take a few.

His wanderings scare me too, it's a shot of adrenaline you get for free, courtesy Hasek :hehe: you see, you're so pumped up, you even started a thread :P ... you should be grateful for that, man!

Edited by unkempt

Yes.....

Crymson certainly can shut folks up with the best of 'em.

Kinda like a really loud fart in the middle of a cocktail party.

Kudos to you for your classy rejoinder, Crymson. It's good to know that opposing opinions are accepted here with only a hint of personal attack directed at the poster.

Bravo!

The Wings players apparently don't question his motives or his talent, nor does Babcock or anyone else in the Wings organization.

You're right, loo.....very few question Hasek about anything at all.

One person who questioned him got assaulted outside the lockerroom in Buffalo for his audacity.

Another got fired after taking home the Adams for Coach of the Year, then blacklisted for over a decade within the League.

Yes.....

Kudos to you for your classy rejoinder, Crymson. It's good to know that opposing opinions are accepted here with only a hint of personal attack directed at the poster.

Bravo!

Crymson might have got carried away a wee bit, but you are certainly guilty of posting some very intelligence-challenged remarks.

To berate Hasek for his roamings and stickhandling is kinda strange - the former is one of his strengths actually and he has been no better at the latter in all his mediocre-to-downright-terrible career :violin: :cool:

Bravo!

One person who questioned him got assaulted outside the lockerroom in Buffalo for his audacity.

Another got fired after taking home the Adams for Coach of the Year, then blacklisted for over a decade within the League.

Now, that was cheap. The person who questioned him was a journalist who kept chasing Dom and writing nasty allegations about him, if you got someone like that at your heels constantly, you would speak differently.

And are you trying to imply that Hasek ever had the power to blacklist anybody throughout the league???

That is more than a wee bit off, dont you think? Who knows what had happenned then - and I suppose that those who made that decisision like the GM or so, who knew all details, could have as easily gotten rid of Hasek, if he was to blame. And they did not.

Edited by unkempt

To berate Hasek for his roamings and stickhandling is kinda strange - the former is one of his strengths actually and he has been no better at the latter in all his mediocre-to-downright-terrible career :violin: :cool:

I don't know where you're getting that information, unkempt.

Hasek has always been known to be a bad puckhandler, and a goaltender who takes crazy risks coming out of the net.

Where you get the impression that those are anywhere near "strengths" of his is beyond me. Just because he does it often, doesn't mean he's good at it.

Remeber a game against the Blues back in late 2002? I believe it was Keith Tkachuk, (could have been Dougie Weight, but I believe it was Walt), who was getting a bit too close to Dom in the crease......

Dom skated out of his crease, while the Blues were cycling the puck in the Wings zone, and Dom started berating Tkachuk near the left face off circle. He was paying absolutely NO attention to the play going on around him. The Blues scored into a VACATED net, while Dom was "chatting" with Tkachuk. Matter of fact, Dom continued to "chat" with Tkachuk until the Blues, including Tkachuk, started to skate off for the face off at Center Ice. Only THEN did Dom realize that he'd been scored upon.

How many times have you seen Dom fall down like he's been SHOT, when he hasn't even been touched, then lay there waiting for a whistle, while the opposing Team puts the puck into the empty net because the whistle never came?

Patrick Roy was one of the best to ever play the game, and he was constantly coming out of the net to play the puck.

He SUCKED at it. And he got burned frequently.

Doesn't make him any less a great goaltender. Simply a bad puckhandling goaltender with a penchant for wandering.

Now, that was cheap. The person who questioned him was a journalist who kept chasing Dom and writing nasty allegations about him, if you got someone like that at your heels constantly, you would speak differently.

And are you trying to imply that Hasek ever had the power to blacklist anybody throughout the league???

That is more than a wee bit off, dont you think? Who knows what had happenned then - and I suppose that those who made that decisision like the GM or so, who knew all details, could have as easily gotten rid of Hasek, if he was to blame. And they did not.

That reporter was not "hounding" Hasek. He questioned his "injury" status, and implied that perhaps Dom wasn't as unhealthy as he stated, but wasn't willing to play in the Play Offs for other reasons.

And as for the Buffalo/Nolan situation....

Why not read up on Hasek's OWN COMMENTS from a few weeks ago regarding what happened in Buffalo?

Dom does NOT have a squeaky clean reputation, character wise.

you know, ... now that I think of it, you hit the nail on the head here. :sly:

And, do you know, why is that?

Because for long stretches of time, he has been so good at what he does, that few could say anything, other than "wow".

Just imagine Scotty Bowman, with Hasek standing at attention in front of him, swearing at Dom somthing like "You little arrogant bastard, where did you get the balls to shutout the Devils only in game 6 and 7 in the series!!! :flamingmad: if you just werent a lazy ....... , you would of done it in games 1, 2, 3, and 4!!! You have no consideration! Cant you see that the guys in front of you could have enjoyed some rest!"

:rotflmao:

Or in Bufallo after failing to get the third Hart in a row, "Hasek, you're getting a little lazy and complacent, dont you think?" You're not supposed to get worse than that!" (His regular season save percentage in the first year AFTER he won the two Harts was .939!)

Edited by unkempt

I don't know where you're getting that information, unkempt.

Hasek has always been known to be a bad puckhandler, and a goaltender who takes crazy risks coming out of the net.

Where you get the impression that those are anywhere near "strengths" of his is beyond me. Just because he does it often, doesn't mean he's good at it.

--------------------

And as for the Buffalo/Nolan situation....

Why not read up on Hasek's OWN COMMENTS from a few weeks ago regarding what happened in Buffalo?

Dom does NOT have a squeaky clean reputation, character wise.

We are not understanding each other on this one - I concurred that he is not good handling the puck but still somehow manages to be a great goalie. The wanderings on the other hand - he takes crazy risks because he can - he can get away with it, and when he fails, he still comes out as one of the best in the league. That Tkachuk situation has nothing to do with it.

-----------------------

And I have no idea why you bring Doms character into this. Nobody is squaky clean - those squaky clean people are called saints and are hard to find among hockey players (and elswhere for that matter).

You are only picking on Dom, and you are bad at it. That's all.

Wandering can be dangerous for any goalie at any time, but all goalies do it at least once in a while. They're only human.

That said, how 'bout Dom boxing out that Oiler behind the net in the 3rd? Maybe he wants to play D on games when Oz is in net.... :hehe:

Go back to the Island, *****.

Unnecessary.

You just gotta take the good with the bad. Personally, I'd rather have him over aggressive than not. Like Crymson said, no one is perfect.

I don't expect him or anybody else to be perfect and definitely take the good with the bad and know how good he is. Some of the roaming is absolutely unnecessary though.

Seriously, when anyone here can do anything, including play hockey as well as Hasek, then you can second guess him. Probably not until then, however. But opinions are fine, have fun if it makes you feel better to complain.

The Wings players apparently don't question his motives or his talent, nor does Babcock or anyone else in the Wings organization. So, he made a misjudgement while trying to help his team. It's nothing every other player hasn't done at one point or another. Every player makes mistakes, it's just when it's Dom that it becomes a panic-driven crisis, worthy of its own thread.

What I love is the fact that the complainers have apparently forgotten totally that Hasek was stellar just two days ago. The response to that effort was ho-hum, no big deal. But let him mis-step and the dogs are out. Wait til the playoffs and Hasek will be the difference maker, just as he was in 2002.

Seems like you are doing an effective job complaining as well, complaining about the complainers.

I remember him being stellar two days ago crystal clear, but he is not above anybody in terms of opinion/critique if I feel he's goofed up.

There's thousands of members in here. Probably a lot of us don't play hockey.

If people didn't have opinions or second guess or even be slightly critical of not just him, but any other players like whipping boys Lilja or Williams, or even the better players like Lidstrom or Draper, this sports forum loses a lot of it's meaning and becomes a lot more quieter. Even the great Captain has been second guessed sometimes on the ice in here by people who have no hockey-playing skills whatsoever.

If nobody is even slightly questioned or critqued, we'd all be a bunch of homers all up in the players' jock-straps, and that'd make this place pretty stale and boring.

If you can't take even the slightest criticism of him, grow some thicker skin. This criticism of him from last night is absolutely nothing than some of the grillings other players have gotten around here (Holland, Ozzie sucks threads in the past, Deveraux, etc.).

That's a ridiculous assertion, loo. None of us here have half the skill of even Jason Williams but we've got a three page thread about how awful he is, and rightfully so--he's awful. He makes poor decisions and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

In this case, Hasek made a poor decision, but he's still human and still one of the best goalies in the NHL, so why fret?

:thumbup:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Unnecessary.

I don't expect him or anybody else to be perfect and definitely take the good with the bad and know how good he is. Some of the roaming is absolutely unnecessary though.

Seems like you are doing an effective job complaining as well, complaining about the complainers.

I remember him being stellar two days ago crystal clear, but he is not above anybody in terms of opinion/critique if I feel he's goofed up.

There's thousands of members in here. Probably a lot of us don't play hockey.

If people didn't have opinions or second guess or even be slightly critical of not just him, but any other players like whipping boys Lilja or Williams, or even the better players like Lidstrom or Draper, this sports forum loses a lot of it's meaning and becomes a lot more quieter. Even the great Captain has been second guessed sometimes on the ice in here by people who have no hockey-playing skills whatsoever.

If nobody is even slightly questioned or critqued, we'd all be a bunch of homers all up in the players' jock-straps, and that'd make this place pretty stale and boring.

If you can't take even the slightest criticism of him, grow some thicker skin. This criticism of him from last night is absolutely nothing than some of the grillings other players have gotten around here (Holland, Ozzie sucks threads in the past, Deveraux, etc.).

:thumbup:

Read my comments. I said Dom made a mistake or at least from what I read here, he did, so I assume it's so. I didn't see the game and don't doubt he let in a goal he wishes he hadn't. I am pretty sure he didn't mean to, that's why it was a mistake or misplay. I just don't think it is necessary to start a thread to question his competence or his character or his abilities. It was a one goal decision, not an 8 goal blowout. If Hasek hasn't "caused" the goal, someone else would have. And we would have all complained about that, too.

However, it usually doesn't degenerate into "yeah, Dom's undeniably a great player (said simply because, it's undeniable) but he is a degenerate, too." Enough of that, unless we start bringing out human mistakes in every other player here as the reason we occasionally lose a game and tie them to whatever whiffed goal chance or missed SO attempt. Cleary's drunk driving arrest when he was 19 is most certainly why he isn't scoring the GWG every game. RIght? No? It has no relation to an error in a game that cost the team? Then why does it apply to Hasek?

Just because you generally try to get the last word in doesn't mean people agree with you (not all of us) or that you're right about Hasek... but I will say, I hope Ozzie doesn't make a mistake tonight. :yowza:

Edited by puckloo39

Okay a few comments:

Hasek's a great goalie, there's no denying that. But I can understand people's frustration on that goal.

He has pulled that crazy flying out of the net maneuver through most of his career, but this season it seems like his judgement of when to do it or his timing or something hasn't been as good as in years past, because he's getting burned on it an awful lot.

I don't think anyone's saying he shouldn't start in the playoffs, but I can understand being a little annoyed to have the game tied that way. If it had been Ozzy in net, they'd be just as hard on him.

And I don't particularly subscribe to the "oh, this player is so great that until I can do something as great as him, I can't question anything he does." That's crap. We're Wings fans. This is a fan forum. Everyone here can and will be questioned and commented on. Even Hasek the great. Get over it.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Okay a few comments:

Hasek's a great goalie, there's no denying that. But I can understand people's frustration on that goal.

He has pulled that crazy flying out of the net maneuver through most of his career, but this season it seems like his judgement of when to do it or his timing or something hasn't been as good as in years past, because he's getting burned on it an awful lot.

I don't think anyone's saying he shouldn't start in the playoffs, but I can understand being a little annoyed to have the game tied that way. If it had been Ozzy in net, they'd be just as hard on him.

And I don't particularly subscribe to the "oh, this player is so great that until I can do something as great as him, I can't question anything he does." That's crap. We're Wings fans. This is a fan forum. Everyone here can and will be questioned and commented on. Even Hasek the great. Get over it.

Amen to that. It's comments like "Dom's antics outside the net are pure arrogance." that get me started :sly:

I would even dare say that he might have gone a bit rusty on his "wandering antics" because he doestnt do it often enough ;) may be if he did it more often he would get his timing back :lol:

Dom's antics outside the net are pure arrogance.

He's a terrible puck handler, but feels he's entitled to roam anyway because no one should have the temerity to score on his empty net when he goes wandering.

And if they DO score on his empty net....

Well then.....it's partially his Teammates fault for not supporting his decision to go for a completely unnecessary stroll.

But because he's The Dominator, people give him a pass.....as they do for many things.

Tactically, Hasek was correct in trying to get to the dumped in puck as early as possible and get it to our D, so the Oilers couldn't establish their forecheck. Unfortunately, he is not as good a puckandler as Brodeur. I don't know if that skill can be trained up quickly, but I wouldn't guess so.

Ok, my comments.

Last night was frustrating to watch Hasek, especially coming out of the net during OVERTIME. I've never seen a goalie actually come out of the net when the games on the line and handle puck like Hasek did last night. Did you all here the screem from the crowd when Hasek did that? He really didn't

Sometimes people have to admit when someone makes a mistake. Like someone else said before, even Stevie was occasionally questioned for what he did on the ice. Just because Hasek is a good goalie, does this exempt him from all criticism? And please, don't any of the Hasek fans (Loo) come at me saying it's unjust that a normal street person like myself critisize Hasek because he plays in the NHL and I don't. Jason Williams plays in the NHL too, and he takes criticism from just about all sources here. Human mistake or not, it shouldn't go unnoticed. If Lidstrom gave the puck away and costed the Wings a game, would we all say nothing because he is a great defenseman? No. Even if it was only one goal, it would still be noticed. Like you said with Hasek, why should it be noticed if it's only one goal? Because that goal was the deciding factor of the game that tied the game and eventually went into a shootout. I'm not blaming Hasek alone. The forwards, especailly the ones that went in the shootout, should have gotten better shots off. But Hasek should share the blame along with the rest of the team.

Edited by Kp-Wings

My god, this guy has to stop coming out 50 feet from his net. He scares the s*** out of me whenever he goes on one of his adventures. Watching tonight's game was absolutely awful and caused a landmark win streak to end.

You people have extremely short memories don't you? If it wasn't for Hasek the win streak would've ended against Chicago on Wednesday night.

And furthermore, blaming the entire game on Dom's questionable goal is kinda stupid to me. There was zero defensive coverage on both Edmonton's first two goals. And even on the third goal, Reasoner would've been all alone against Hasek.

I'm not a fan of Hasek's roaming either. It's gotten him burned a couple times this season, and more importantly, I'm afraid he's going to get hurt. I'd wish he'd stop it, but risk-taking is an element of the style that has worked for him for quite some time.

What really ticks me off, though, is how in every Dominik Hasek thread, someone finds a way to take a cheapshot at Dom's character. His roaming is a result of "pure arrogance"? Honestly. I understand some of you do not like Hasek, and that's fine, but comments like that are just unreasonable.

Guest Crymson

Yes.....

You jumped in at a relatively bad part of the thread, and as a fan of a different team. Naturally, I assumed you were a troll.

You jumped in at a relatively bad part of the thread, and as a fan of a different team. Naturally, I assumed you were a troll.

Understood, Crymson.

I retract my previous statement regarding thunderous flatulence at social gatherings.

Stand up move by you to jump back in with a form of apology. Thank you.

I rather prefer to think of myself as an Ogre, though......

Actually, it would be interesting if somebody who goes/watches the games regularly kept a special stat for Hasek only - his successful/failed trips around the ice. That would settle a lot of arguments.

Actually, it would be interesting if somebody who goes/watches the games regularly kept a special stat for Hasek only - his successful/failed trips around the ice. That would settle a lot of arguments.

It'd be an excellent Dom-stat. And yeah, it definitely would make people stop overreacting when people point out the goof: "look, he came out and got burned, he's gotta stop doing that all the time." "WHHHHAAAAAT!? Are you saying he's a bad goaltender! 6 vezina's!!!!!!!! until you play better than Jason Williams you can't have a substantiated opinion!"

And I'm not directing that at anyone particular, either. That's a sadly common argument that tons of people use: "you haven't written a book, therefore you cannot critique an author." It just doesn't make any sense.

"..nah, I'm just saying he messed up, look at the stat. he's a pretty a-ok goaltender otherwise."