• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheWestWing

Official: Blues trade Tkachuk to Thrashers

Rate this topic

I cannot say how happy I am to see the Wings not involved in this madness.

I also must say, Atlanta is one of the worst clubs IMO. They don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. They should not making such foolhearty moves. They need to just make the playoffs with what they have and build from there.

I want Smolinski now provided we cannot make some other fantastic unforseen move.

I also must say, Atlanta is one of the worst clubs IMO. They don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. They should not making such foolhearty moves. They need to just make the playoffs with what they have and build from there.

I want Smolinski now provided we cannot make some other fantastic unforseen move.

I agree. Especially their trade they made yesterday. I cannot believe they would trade a future top defensemen in Braydon Coburn for an aging Alexei Zhitnik. Not to mention trading one of the most physical d-men in the NHL (Vitaly Vishnevski) earlier this month.

Guest ZetterBurger40

Tell me how bad Atlanta is when you see Hossa, Kovalchuk, and Tkachuk on the ice together for the Trashers. Atlanta is a good team that is very close to getting over the hump- they just got even closer.

I agree. Especially their trade they made yesterday. I cannot believe they would trade a future top defensemen in Braydon Coburn for an aging Alexei Zhitnik. Not to mention trading one of the most physical d-men in the NHL (Vitaly Vishnevski) earlier this month.

I agree the Coburn trade was not good at all. However the one thing definitely on Atlanta's side is having 2 players with top notch trade value on their team in Hossa and Kovalchuk. If theyre unhappy with their results this season...they could always move one in the offseason and bring multiple good prospects/picks in return. One would be certain to be a premier prospect.

This trade is absolutely ludicrous. If Tkachuk does resign, four picks in the first three rounds in 07 and 08. Holland is right, if the prices do not come down, stand pat, don't make one single move.

The more things go on, the more I'm inclined to agree with you.

This trade is absolutely ludicrous. If Tkachuk does resign, four picks in the first three rounds in 07 and 08. Holland is right, if the prices do not come down, stand pat, don't make one single move.

Exactly what I was about to say. I wasn't happy to hear Holland saying last week that he won't make a move if prices don't come down, but if this is what the prices are like, forget it! That's absolutely insane. I can't believe the Thrashers paid 3 high round draft picks for a rental! It's mind boggling.

While I wouldn't go as far as to say not to make a *single* move, rolling the dice on a conditional pick for Bertuzzi doesn't seem so bad, does it?

While I wouldn't go as far as to say not to make a *single* move, rolling the dice on a conditional pick for Bertuzzi doesn't seem so bad, does it?

Or Williams. :P

Even tough Bertuzzi hasn't played since October, I still think we'd have to give up a little more than that. Considering Jacques Martin wants Patrick Eaves and a first round draft pick from Ottawa for Gary Roberts, I don't think it'll come that easy.

Not at all, but i'm sure Florida is pushing for Hudler and a conditional pick - that's not going to work for us.

Or Williams. :P

Even tough Bertuzzi hasn't played since October, I still think we'd have to give up a little more than that. Considering Jacques Martin wants Patrick Eaves and a first round draft pick from Ottawa for Gary Roberts, I don't think it'll come that easy.

If Bertuzzi comes cheap, I'd be really suspicious. It's fine for the Wings 'to roll the dice" on Bertuzzi, but Florida already knows what dice will come up, because they know his medical condition. If they let him go for a low pick, then the dice must be snake-eyes.

To HELL with that! Jump in with both feet Kenny!!

Put Schneider, Lang, Willy, Lilly, Maltby, etc... on the market and get in on this action ASAP!! The latter four have been bouncing around between mediocre and atrocious for most of the season and we've shown we can play without Schneider. We're a one line team anyway atm, and rather than cripple the next couple of the seasons to bring in an overhyped 2nd liner we should get sell while the selling's good.

Zhitnik for Coburn?

Rivet and a 5th for Gorges and a 1st?

Tkachuk for 3-4 1st/2nds?

The aforementioned 5 players ought to land us 3 1sts and a couple prospects/warm bodies. And really, what do we lose in terms of competitiveness? Not much if anything...

To HELL with that! Jump in with both feet Kenny!!

Put Schneider, Lang, Willy, Lilly, Maltby, etc... on the market and get in on this action ASAP!! The latter four have been bouncing around between mediocre and atrocious for most of the season and we've shown we can play without Schneider. We're a one line team anyway atm, and rather than cripple the next couple of the seasons to bring in an overhyped 2nd liner we should get sell while the selling's good.

Zhitnik for Coburn?

Rivet and a 5th for Gorges and a 1st?

Tkachuk for 3-4 1st/2nds?

The aforementioned 5 players ought to land us 3 1sts and a couple prospects/warm bodies. And really, what do we lose in terms of competitiveness? Not much if anything...

that's awesome nn,..i can't tell if you're being serious but i'm inclinded to agree with you.

that's awesome nn,..i can't tell if you're being serious but i'm inclinded to agree with you.

110% stone cold dead serious.

At first these prices pissed me off, but now I'm giddy at the possibilities. We should be able to get a 1st for Lang, EASILY. A 1st+ for Schneider. Maybe a 1st or 2nd for a package including Willy/Maltby/Lilly/etc...

It's patently ridiculous, but NOT if you're a seller. Kenny would be very shrewd indeed if he got in on this. A Guerin, Lapointe, Mayers, whoever is NOT going to put us over the top. Neither will Lang, Schneider, Lilly, Willy, etc... At this point those guys are more likely to stand in the way of success because they simply aren't responsible with the puck and/or producing enough to outweigh those turnovers.

Hell we could sell our crap and use parts of the profits to bring in a couple of warmer bodies. But at this point it would be incredibly stupid to overpay for crap and shortsighted to not take advantage of the guys mortaging their future.

I've been thinking about that myself, nn. I just don't think Illitch would go for it. It's not the Wings' style to sell, hell, is it any top team's style to sell before the playoffs? I personally think it would be smart, but it wouldn't be good from a PR perspective. A lot of fans would be pissed off.

I've been thinking about that myself, nn. I just don't think Illitch would go for it. It's not the Wings' style to sell, hell, is it any top team's style to sell before the playoffs? I personally think it would be smart, but it wouldn't be good from a PR perspective. A lot of fans would be pissed off.

It's a very novel idea, but it will never happen. No team in our position would do it, not one.

Holy hell....

That was the most massive case of deja vu. Creepy.

It's a very novel idea, but it will never happen. No team in our position would do it, not one.

With the cap and these prices I wouldn't be surprised if teams started. I mean seriously. Just because we're at the top of the standings, doesn't mean every player we have A. fits in. B. is pulling his weight C. makes a meaningful impact in the success of the team. D. can't be replaced by a younger/cheaper alternative. Etc...

Kenny has been very firm of late that there is a next season and a season after that and you can't mortgage those years for today. But why not the inverse? If we can't make the deals to meaningfully improve our team why not try to meaningfully improve the future?

I think because they'd feel it sent the wrong message to the fans, and more importantly (unfortunately) the casual fans. They wouldn't understand the reasoning and would look at it like giving up, same goes for the players.

I wouldn't mind it, mainly because it would help balance our team and I feel Filppula is ready to be a 2nd line center, maybe not offensively, but he wouldn't be a liability.

Your idea would be a smart one, but they wouldn't like it from a business stand point.

Holy hell....

That was the most massive case of deja vu. Creepy.

With the cap and these prices I wouldn't be surprised if teams started. I mean seriously. Just because we're at the top of the standings, doesn't mean every player we have A. fits in. B. is pulling his weight C. makes a meaningful impact in the success of the team. D. can't be replaced by a younger/cheaper alternative. Etc...

Kenny has been very firm of late that there is a next season and a season after that and you can't mortgage those years for today. But why not the inverse? If we can't make the deals to meaningfully improve our team why not try to meaningfully improve the future?

Its nice to see someone thinking outside the box.If we can load up on prospects and draft picks by unloading our deadweight,Kenny should have the onions to go for it.

If someone offered you 3x the value of a stock,would you sell?

We can turn those picks and prospects into a solid long term portfolio.

One of the problems that GMs and coaches are faced with is the pressure of expectations from the public at large. They sometimes have to do what "everyone" thinks they're supposed to do, even when it's not in the best interests of their team. Some researchers conducted a study showing the risk/benefit of football teams going for it on 4th down, and concluded that coaches aren't nearly aggressive enough about doing it. They asked some of the coaches and they admitted that even though they believe it gives them the best chance to win, they know the backlash they'll get if they don't convert and the impact it could have on their jobs. Basically, the percentages could work in their favor, but people will focus on the unorthodox decision, even though it pays more dividends than losses, and the coach will feel the heat.

I have a feeling the same pressure would be at work here. Holland sells and the Wings lose in the first round, people will say it was the cause. Doesn't matter if they would have lost anyway, he would take all the blame for it.