• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheWestWing

Official: Blues trade Tkachuk to Thrashers

Rate this topic

Ok, if we can get Bertuzzi with a conditional pick, we'd be stupid not to, because we don't give up that much if he doesn't perform, and if he does, good, we make out on the deal.

Secondly, Atlanta overpaid for Tkachuk, and it's only going to screw us in trying to acquire Guerin. I'm glad, however, that Tkachuk went East and not to a rival of ours like Anaheim or San Jose. St Louis may have just decided that they didn't want to trade to a division rival? Who knows. Don't forget that we can still trya nd get Jamal Mayers from StL, which would be a strong move for us to get some grit and toughness. Even getting Nolan would be good, since it's his first year back and he hasn't had any major issues, he could be strong playing with some better players.

I don't knwo what is going to happen, but I am glad that Holland did not pay THAT much for a rental. Oh and Kindl isn't going anywhere unless it's a really sweet deal.

just curious, but can Nolan fight?

Ok, if we can get Bertuzzi with a conditional pick, we'd be stupid not to, because we don't give up that much if he doesn't perform, and if he does, good, we make out on the deal.

Secondly, Atlanta overpaid for Tkachuk, and it's only going to screw us in trying to acquire Guerin. I'm glad, however, that Tkachuk went East and not to a rival of ours like Anaheim or San Jose. St Louis may have just decided that they didn't want to trade to a division rival? Who knows. Don't forget that we can still trya nd get Jamal Mayers from StL, which would be a strong move for us to get some grit and toughness. Even getting Nolan would be good, since it's his first year back and he hasn't had any major issues, he could be strong playing with some better players.

I don't knwo what is going to happen, but I am glad that Holland did not pay THAT much for a rental. Oh and Kindl isn't going anywhere unless it's a really sweet deal.

Bert for a conditional pick sounds good too. Mayers would be filling a need as well.

Holland needs to make a move. period.

At these prices, just add a first rounder and go after Crosby, when he becomes RFA. A high pick for every month that Tkachuk is going to play for Atlanta (very optimistically), and a roster player?! Waddell must be in danger of losing his job if Atlanta doesn't go to the Cup Finals at least!

Edited by sibiriak

just curious, but can Nolan fight?

Yes, definitely. Not to say he'll do it often...but he's always been very tough. Obviously he's not the player Guerin, but toughness is the one category Owen has the definite edge over Bill in.

Yes, definitely. Not to say he'll do it often...but he's always been very tough. Obviously he's not the player Guerin, but toughness is the one category Owen has the definite edge over Bill in.

IF thats true, getting a mayers, asham or lapointe is not completely necessary.

They paid a huge price, especially for a guy who has never been a big playoff performer.

Honestly, I have to cut Holland some slack if this is the kind of asking price that's out there for a player like Tkachuk. Realistically, the Red Wings aren't a Stanley Cup team, and no single addition is going to change that. To give up that many picks is insane. Just take your chances with what you've got and you could catch a break and maybe go far into the playoffs anyway. But the Wings need to hang onto their early picks.

I'm absolutely astonished.

Let's see...before the cap era --

Big market teams inflate the market by offering huge contracts.

During the cap era --

Small market teams inflate the market by offering huge amounts of draft picks.

This trend is completely predictable. These teams (re: Nashville, Atlanta, etc), have nothing to lose by sending away a truck load of picks to make a difference now. Just like the pre-cap era (re: Detroit, Philly, New York), where teams had nothing to lose by sending away a truck load of money to make a difference now.

It's becoming painfully clear that teams that are managed well need to build their franchise through the draft and via free-agency. If your managed poorly (read: bad contracts), you are bailed out by receiving the tools needed to rebuild at the trade deadline.

If I'm Ken Holland, I take these as signs of things to come, and learn from them in the off-season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the market doing this at last years trade deadline, but I may be speaking out of turn. Count me as one of the fans who would rather have a wings team that allowed me to get excited over another playoff run EVERY YEAR, than getting excited over them possibly going further THIS YEAR, at the expense of the future.

Guest Agalloch

Atlolanta just made one of the worst deals of the decade. My jaw dropped when I saw that they gave up so much.

They paid a huge price, especially for a guy who has never been a big playoff performer.

Honestly, I have to cut Holland some slack if this is the kind of asking price that's out there for a player like Tkachuk. Realistically, the Red Wings aren't a Stanley Cup team, and no single addition is going to change that. To give up that many picks is insane. Just take your chances with what you've got and you could catch a break and maybe go far into the playoffs anyway. But the Wings need to hang onto their early picks.

Very well put.

It's looking like it'd cost way too much for a guy that's just a rental. It's not like Detroit is missing one tiny piece to be a Cup favorite. Next season they'd be right back to square one in terms of toughness, and short several draft picks and prospects.

I'm starting to think this is the team that's going into the playoffs and I just gotta hope for the best.

I'm absolutely astonished.

Let's see...before the cap era --

Big market teams inflate the market by offering huge contracts.

During the cap era --

Small market teams inflate the market by offering huge amounts of draft picks.

This trend is completely predictable. These teams (re: Nashville, Atlanta, etc), have nothing to lose by sending away a truck load of picks to make a difference now. Just like the pre-cap era (re: Detroit, Philly, New York), where teams had nothing to lose by sending away a truck load of money to make a difference now.

It's becoming painfully clear that teams that are managed well need to build their franchise through the draft and via free-agency. If your managed poorly (read: bad contracts), you are bailed out by receiving the tools needed to rebuild at the trade deadline.

If I'm Ken Holland, I take these as signs of things to come, and learn from them in the off-season. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember the market doing this at last years trade deadline, but I may be speaking out of turn. Count me as one of the fans who would rather have a wings team that allowed me to get excited over another playoff run EVERY YEAR, than getting excited over them possibly going further THIS YEAR, at the expense of the future.

:clap::clap:

Excellent post dude- you make a great point and present it with excellent support. I wish there were more posters like you :D

whats the point of going in the playoffs and just losing first round every year ... their isnt so much excitement ... its dissapointment ... im not saying we should trade all our draft picks... but come on we need a winger ... we need an enforcer ... we need something big mean and that could score ... you actually think with the team we have here were going to pass 1st round ... their is no way ... holland is pissing the s*** out of me ... i understand he deosnt want to screw the future of the team up ... but it sure looks like the future of the team is going to stay the same as the present ... why not just take some chance ... pull the trigger make a run ... the core of this team is still young ... and we still have some good prospects ... its not that bad if we miss out a year of good drafting ... and what are the chances that those picks will be THE NEXT ZETTERBERG OR DATSYUK ... LIDSTROM ZETTERBERG DATSYUK WERENT 1ST OR 2ND ROUNDERS and so many other players that are stars

Edited by KrazyGangsta

IF thats true, getting a mayers, asham or lapointe is not completely necessary.

Oh, what i said about Nolan is most definitely true :D But, that doesnt mean they still dont need more grit and toughness aside from him. I still think its very necessary to add someone to the 3rd/4th line. I'd be happy with Nolan and Fedoruk, and another defenseman who's trade price isnt high.

Atlanta is in the playoffs, but they are only 3 pts from being out, so maybe Tkachuk won't agree based on that, or he hates the city of Atlanta possibly. I don't know.

I think he'd agree based on them being in, even if they are barely in. The Blues, although they may make a late run, aren't in at all at this point.

I think part of what you’re seeing with the Atlanta and Nashville’s moves are their respective GMs overpaying, because they are desperate to draw interest to their hockey clubs.

Atlanta ranks 20th in attendance and Nashville ranks 23rd: This despite each club having their best season as a franchise.

Geeze, if it's going to take that much to add someone, I'd be really ticked if we get Guerin.

All we need is a player or two who can protect Zetterberg and Datsyuk. If Anson Carter can be traded for a 5th, I'm sure there's a player or two who we can bring over and not end up selling the farm.

However, I do like the fact that Detroit is in on the trade talks with Tkachuk, Guerin, Bertuzzi, etc., because it's driving the prices up.

I still think its very necessary to add someone to the 3rd/4th line.

I agree. We don't need a 1st or 2nd line guy, just some toughness in the 3rd or 4th line.

I think part of what you’re seeing with the Atlanta and Nashville’s moves are their respective GMs overpaying, because they are desperate to draw interest to their hockey clubs.

Atlanta ranks 20th in attendance and Nashville ranks 23rd: This despite each club having their best season as a franchise.

What? :huh: